Acc with instrument cluster lighting

ozz

Greetings.

I have a 2011 sxt journey purchased 1.5mnths ago.

The delema i have is when i use the acc to use the radio/media player the instrument cluster lights stay on.(the engine is off) The dimmer switch does nothing.

Normally i wouldn't see this as an issue, but myself and the wife go the drive in frequently and i see it getting very annoying having dash lights in my face all night. Is this normal? Is there a setting to turn the cluster lights off? Seems to be silly not to be able to turn the lights off with the dimmer.

Any info would be appreciated.

You can try "settings" -> "display", there should be an option (or various, with headlights on, headlights off, etc.) to set the brightness, however I don't know if it's just for the screen or also for the rest of the lights.

IIRC the setting only works if you manually select DAY/NIGHT (in auto it doesn't work).

I have a 2011 sxt journey purchased 1.5mnths ago.

The delema i have is when i use the acc to use the radio/media player the instrument cluster lights stay on.(the engine is off) The dimmer switch does nothing.

Normally i wouldn't see this as an issue, but myself and the wife go the drive in frequently and i see it getting very annoying having dash lights in my face all night. Is this normal? Is there a setting to turn the cluster lights off? Seems to be silly not to be able to turn the lights off with the dimmer.

Any info would be appreciated.

I realize that my vehicle is a 2010 and has many differences from a 2011, but I can dim my instrument cluster or any of the interior lights or even turn them off completely using the dimmer switch. I often do this if I am outside working on the vehicle and have any of the doors or hatch open for extended periods.

On another note why would you have the ACC on during a movie? I thought you were watching the movie.Just curious that's all.

Terry

I realize that my vehicle is a 2010 and has many differences from a 2011, but I can dim my instrument cluster or any of the interior lights or even turn them off completely using the dimmer switch. I often do this if I am outside working on the vehicle and have any of the doors or hatch open for extended periods.

With the 2011 models the dimmer only works with the headlights on, you can change the brightness via settings, but I'm not sure the dimmer works if you do that

On another note why would you have the ACC on during a movie? I thought you were watching the movie.Just curious that's all.

Maybe they broadcast the audio on FM?

Greetings and thanks for the responses..

Yes the drivein uses a FM broadcast for audio which is why i need the acc on.

I have tried different settings on the display already with headlights on/off and those are just for the display. Any settings i have found only affect the display and do nothing to the instrument cluster.

Yes, the dimmer switch works when the headlights are on so the switch is working.

Thanks again for the responses

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi I have a 2012 Journey XL model. I was outside one night and my wife noticed that the instrument cluster light came on. I didn't think much of it but then the next night we noticed it again. Problem is that it must be happening often because i went to start the car tonight to go to the store and the battery was dead. I got a boost and all was well but the dam dashboard lights went on again. I hope this is a minor issue that can be resolved.

Does anyone have a solution for this or can you explain what you did to stop this from happening, I really don't want to have to boost the car every other night or day should I let it sit for a day or two. 

Thanks if you can email be directly at rgoencz at gmail dot com. 

Thanks in advance. 

Robert 

how close to the car were you, when washing my car you can squirt the door handles and if your close enough with the keys in your pockect the lights will come on i seen mine do it several times even shooting the hatch with water can make it do it.plus your battery is 4-5 yrs old if its org

• 1 year later...

I have a 2012 Journey SE and my instrument cluster lights often stay on after shutting the car down. I have narrowed it down to the first door opened after shutting the engine off has to be the first door closed, however if the radio shuts down before I close the door the lights stay on. It's always hit and miss so we stay by the car until they shut down and if they don;t I get back in the car and turn it on without starting it and wait until the radio comes on, then turn off and get out and shut the door, usually takes 6 to 8 seconds until the cluster goes off.

Has been very frustrating especially when the Dealer insisted it was the BCM, however $800. later the problem persists. Need to dump this lemon!

2 hours ago, oldtimer1942 said:

I have a 2012 Journey SE and my instrument cluster lights often stay on after shutting the car down. I have narrowed it down to the first door opened after shutting the engine off has to be the first door closed, however if the radio shuts down before I close the door the lights stay on. It's always hit and miss so we stay by the car until they shut down and if they don;t I get back in the car and turn it on without starting it and wait until the radio comes on, then turn off and get out and shut the door, usually takes 6 to 8 seconds until the cluster goes off.

Has been very frustrating especially when the Dealer insisted it was the BCM, however $800. later the problem persists. Need to dump this lemon!

Yes. You should. Dang lights. Never buy another Dodge!