Extended warranty questions

I am considering purchasing the lifetime maximum care warranty. With all the electronics in our Journeys, we are married to our dealers for much of our service. My plan is to keep this vehicle for the long haul. The Dodge website quotes $3795 for maximum care lifetime with $100 deductible. Could it be cheaper to get it through your dealer? I'm just curious about opinions regarding these warranties. Are they worth it? I know that its a gamble either way.

Also, when I read what is covered, I don't see the touch screen noted specifically. It does state the Factory Installed Radios and Speakers (Includes CD and Tape players), Hands Free Cellular Telematics, Satellite Radio System (Factory Installed), and Uconnect Hands Free Communication System, but those things are separate from the touch screen itself, right?

Any info or opinions are welcomed.

Peace.

Hi Redtomatoman

I can't answer your question, but do have one for you concerning the lfietime maximum warranty. is this warranty lifetime against factory defects only, or does it cover wear and tear also?

i'm always skeptical of long term warranties especially if it doesn't specify that it also covers wear and tear. We all know how insurance companies work with their fine print. I'm sure if something went when you have alot of mileage on the vehicle, if you don't have wear and tear coverage, I'm sure they would say its due to wear and tear and not a manufacturing defect.

Sorry, just my untrusting nature of extended warranties and their fine print. I would only purchase one if it CLEARLY spells out wear and tear is included. I would hope at that cost it would. I can't find anything on the Canadian Dodge website concerning extended warranties.

Hi Redtomatoman

I can't answer your question, but do have one for you concerning the lfietime maximum warranty. is this warranty lifetime against factory defects only, or does it cover wear and tear also?

i'm always skeptical of long term warranties especially if it doesn't specify that it also covers wear and tear. We all know how insurance companies work with their fine print. I'm sure if something went when you have alot of mileage on the vehicle, if you don't have wear and tear coverage, I'm sure they would say its due to wear and tear and not a manufacturing defect.

Sorry, just my untrusting nature of extended warranties and their fine print. I would only purchase one if it CLEARLY spells out wear and tear is included. I would hope at that cost it would. I can't find anything on the Canadian Dodge website concerning extended warranties.

I didn't even think of that. Hopefully we will get some input from those with experience with these kind of contracts. . .

Here's the address: http://www.dodge.com/en/service_contracts/

Lifetime contracts provide mechanical repairs for the covered components listed in your personalized plan provisions, but they do not include wear items like brakes or tires. Non-mechanical benefits like first day rental, rental allowance, roadside assistance, towing allowance and trip interruption benefits expire at 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Lifetime contracts cover only for the original owner; they are not transferable unless required by state law.

Even though brakes are mentioned above, the brake section lists everything except rotors and pads as they are expected to wear. I suppose hoses and belts are not included either. The service contract is expensive but I'm thinking about electronics as both diagnostics and parts can break the bank when they go bad. I don't know what I'm going to do as of yet.

Peace.

Thanks for the link. The Canadian website is not as good as the American webiste, especially in the area of maintenance contracts.

I know that wear items like brakes and tires as well as hoses and belts are not covered. I was thinking more like driveshafts, internal engine components, transmissions, you know the more expensive items.

Good point on the electronics, I see your point in wanting to have those componets covered.

I agree, further input from members who have the lifetime contracts (especially with older vehicles - not neccessarly Journeys) as to wether wear and tear for internal engine parts are covered. The reason I am curious is because I tend to hang to my vehicles for 10 or more years. Currently have an eleven year old Grand Caravan and a ten year old Subaru Legacy. From what I have read on this forum, there are many Journey owners who have the lifetime contracts and are happy with them, but I feel their vehicles are still covered under the basic 3 year warranty for workmanship, and the only think they are taking advantage of at the moment is the free car rentals.

When I ordered my Journey, they (the dealer) were trying to get me to take an extended warranty(they didn't mention anything about a lifetime warranty), but I said no at the time as I am still waiting for the factory order. When I said no, they indicated that the price quoted was more then what I would be actually paying, but didn't indicate what the price would be. I have to admit I didn't think about wear and tear items at the time, otherwise I would have asked.

So my suggestion would be to go to the dealer where you bought your vehicle and see if you can negoiate a better deal on the lifetime warranty. At that point, I would ask them to show you in the contract if the lifetime warranty covers wear and tear or just manufacturer defects.

Regards

I am considering purchasing the lifetime maximum care warranty. With all the electronics in our Journeys, we are married to our dealers for much of our service. My plan is to keep this vehicle for the long haul. The Dodge website quotes $3795 for maximum care lifetime with $100 deductible. Could it be cheaper to get it through your dealer? I'm just curious about opinions regarding these warranties. Are they worth it? I know that its a gamble either way.

Also, when I read what is covered, I don't see the touch screen noted specifically. It does state the Factory Installed Radios and Speakers (Includes CD and Tape players), Hands Free Cellular Telematics, Satellite Radio System (Factory Installed), and Uconnect Hands Free Communication System, but those things are separate from the touch screen itself, right?

Any info or opinions are welcomed.

Peace.

I don't know about todays Lifetime Warranty, but I purchased one from Chrysler in June '09 with my "new" '09 Journey. At the time the suggested price was around $3700, and I ended up paying $1800 from the dealer. My dealer also offers no deductible if I bring the vehicle to their dealership for service, so as long as I'm fortunate to break down near my home I'll save $100 bucks! So far I've used it for a water pump replacement, and two ball joint replacements. With just over 100k on my vehicle so far....I plan on seeing how far I can make it last!

Wish me luck...

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting to order a 2013 Journey and considering adding the extended warranty. What has been the experience for those who bought it? Was it a good buy and was it hassle free? Does it also cover any maintenance costs?

I did get the extended warranty (tend to drive them until they die lol) It's lifetime, a bunch of pages, haven't had a chance to read all of it yet but the cost was $2500 through the dealer with $100 deductible. They keep a file at the dealership that verifies we've kept up on regular maintenance to insure hassle-free warranty issues. They will provide a vehicle in the event that the vehicle has to be left at the dealership for any length of time for the necessary repairs. It's on my list to read through the entire thing this week.

Edited by Melanie

There are no lifetime warranties that I am aware of offered by Chrysler in Canada - extended warranties ARE good in the sense that they'll cover virtually the entire vehicle (if you have a bumper-to-bumper policy). But whatever you do, get the factory/OEM warranty, NOT any third party one because if you have a problem they will try to wiggle out - I ended up suing one that the CAA (Canadian version of the AAA) strongly recommended - the judge found them to be 'disgusting' in their actions - they paid, but what percentage of owners will take it all the way? They know it is a small minority and they cheat.

On the other hand Chrysler treats your vehicle the same for the entire policy term - no, they won't pay for brakes and stuff, but they won't after a couple of thousand kilometres use in any case. But if you blow a gasket, the water pump fails and so on they will cover the whole repair and use OEM parts - unlike the 3rd party people who will hit you up for coolant and other minor items - and they don't pay for diagnostics - so they'll pay for the module, but the $500 to figure out that it was defective? Nope.

We're still looking for members to participate in our group buy (see my sig) - and the clock is counting down because my personal drop dead date is mid August.

If you are a Canadian Chrysler group vehicle owner and were thinking of buying, now is the time - heck, if you change your mind in the first 60 days you can cancel and get a full refund of what you paid!!!

Bramfank

If my Journey ever arrives (ordered beginning of Febraury), I may be interested in looking into the group purchase. When I ordered my Journey, I was taken into "the room" where it was explained to me that I should get an extended warranty and a paint protection package. I said, " just give my how much you want now, so I have time to mull if over".

Well, no way will I purchase the paint/interior/undercoast/ rust proofing protection package at $1100. I can get a better deal elsewhere on rustproofing and undercoating and I have a friend who is an auto detailer who has given me advice on how to proctect the paint myself.

I believe the asking price on the extended warranty that was offered was around $1795, but can't remember if that was a more basic warranty against manufacuring defects or wear and tear. Of course I was told, I will pay a lot less then that. I then talked to my salesperson once I escaped from "the room" and he said he could get me a third party warranty that is just a good or better then Chryslers, and if you don't make any claims during the extended warranty period, you get a percentage of your purchase price back.

I looked at him and said "no third party warranty for me, I've been burned in the past, never again"

But with all the fancy electronics on the cars nowadays, I think I will have to go for the Chrysler extended warranty just for that reason alone.

Cheers

doubleO7

The paint protection package is as required as the 'stain guard' - it represents extra money for the dealership at 100% markup for the MSRP - There is a dialog on the subject at www.redflagdeals.com. Here's a link to the first post in the thread: http://forums.redfla...up-buy-1102770/

For some reason; either there was some sort of database issue or else management seems to have deleted my signature with the details (no notes, no PMs, just found it missing this morning) - so rather than tempt fate, I edited it to suggest people PM me for details.

Edited by bramfrank