I know that there has been some weirdness with the iPod connectivity and the Uconnect system. Overall, I have not had any problems except that my album art does not show for many of my selections. Whatever. . . Doesn't really bother me too much. But I did run into an issue yesterday with my iPod. I recently added some new Van Halen music to my iPod and went to look for a certain album. Couldn't find it under the artist. Searched by album and found it, but the artist was listed as "Hale" rather than "Van Halen". Weird. I have not had a chance to look that the mp3 files to see if Hale is listed anywhere on the properties. This may not be an isolated scenario. I have a 30G iPod and cannot possibly listen to everything. So there very well may be other files like these Van Halen files. I get my music from a variety of sites including itunes and amazon. This Van Halen album was copied from a friends computer and put into my itunes player/iPod. I've got no idea where he got the songs.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to address/fix this? All the Van Halen files and album art are displayed correctly on the iPod, btw.

Peace.

You'd need to use an mp3 tag editor.

What does that mean? I downloaded a mp3 tag editor and all the tags are correct according to the software. (mp3 tag express)

Does no one have Van Halen on their iPod that comes up as Hale for artist? I found that my new VH album, VH 1, and VH 2 albums come up as Hale. I downloaded the new VH album from iTunes and it comes up as Hale as well, so it seems a little more complicated than just a corrupted file that has had some tag/name changes. Anyway, if anyone has anything regarding this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Does the behaviour change if you turn off Music Cleanup?

Good suggestion. I'm going to try that. Didn't think of it last night as I had to allow the iPod to reinitialize multiple times when I was messing around with my music last night. I think I'll also try to change the tags using the tag editor and see what that causes.

I love my Journey so far, but this is the kind of small time crap that makes people buy fords and chevys and even kias. Chrysler should address this. If there's one thing people take very seriously with their vehicles, its their music and the stereo. That should be a no brainer.

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman

I know that there has been some weirdness with the iPod connectivity and the Uconnect system. Overall, I have not had any problems except that my album art does not show for many of my selections. Whatever. . . Doesn't really bother me too much. But I did run into an issue yesterday with my iPod. I recently added some new Van Halen music to my iPod and went to look for a certain album. Couldn't find it under the artist. Searched by album and found it, but the artist was listed as "Hale" rather than "Van Halen". Weird. I have not had a chance to look that the mp3 files to see if Hale is listed anywhere on the properties. This may not be an isolated scenario. I have a 30G iPod and cannot possibly listen to everything. So there very well may be other files like these Van Halen files. I get my music from a variety of sites including itunes and amazon. This Van Halen album was copied from a friends computer and put into my itunes player/iPod. I've got no idea where he got the songs.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to address/fix this? All the Van Halen files and album art are displayed correctly on the iPod, btw.

Peace.

I have the same issue with my 8.4N. In fact, it also shows some of my Van Halen as Hale! Must be an issue with the Gracenotes database? I know for sure my music is all tagged correctly but I think it uses the Gracenotes database exclusively when Music Cleanup is turned on.

I emailed Gracenote and they pointed me back to the dodge website where there was some info regarding MyGig. That didn't seem helpful to me. The GN representataive also gave a link to a MyGig unofficial website which did have some Gracenote updates on it for download. I emailed those folks with the question as to whether those Gracenote updates for MyGig would work for the 8.4N Uconnect. I'll let you know what I find out.

Peace.

Here's what I got:

Re: Ticket 2498, Responded

Dear Brian

A new message has been added to the service request #2498.

Which radio do you have? Is this the CTP radio, large 8.4" touch screen. This site does not support the CTP and that is a Panasonic radio

MyGIG expert

So much for that angle. . .

Peace.

I noticed the new update that Ford just released for their MyFordTouch system includes an updated GraceNote database. I wonder if Chrysler will ever release a similar update. Have they ever released an update for GraceNote?

Gracenote updates for MyGIG systems are available on the unofficial MyGIG website.

Do you, by any chance, have any Van Halen on your iPod? If so, do the VH1, VH2, or Truth albums list artist as Hale for the 2012s?

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support

Peace.

Red,

The only suggestion I could get is listed below. If that does not help I will keep my eyes open for a fix and post it when it comes out. I printed the entire response. I would take his suggestion in the last sentence and try to re-name it VanHalen without the space. Let us know if it works.

Hey Chris,

I would definitely have him look at the data tags. Seeing how he got it from a friend, there's no telling where it actually came from. I have seen people with audio files from different locations that library the data strangely which does cause issues. Let me know what he finds out. You can sometimes go to the album in iTunes, right click and do a rename. He might want to try this.

Red,

The only suggestion I could get is listed below. If that does not help I will keep my eyes open for a fix and post it when it comes out. I printed the entire response. I would take his suggestion in the last sentence and try to re-name it VanHalen without the space. Let us know if it works.

Hey Chris,

I would definitely have him look at the data tags. Seeing how he got it from a friend, there's no telling where it actually came from. I have seen people with audio files from different locations that library the data strangely which does cause issues. Let me know what he finds out. You can sometimes go to the album in iTunes, right click and do a rename. He might want to try this.

When I turn off Music Cleanup (Gracenotes) I get my Van Halen albums back and I think all my music lists identically to my iPod, but I get no album art for anything on my iPod. Evidently, the Uconnect system does not recognize the iPod art and relies exclusively on Gracenotes? Just to be thorough, I downloaded the newest VH album from iTunes, and those files were also reconginzed as Hale. Rechecked the tags on both the old and new VH files, they are all correct as far as my mp3 tag editor can identify. Renaming to VanHalen did nothing. The Gracenotes data base just continued to recognize those files as Hale. For now I have found that just turning off the Music Cleanup (Gracenotes) is the best solution for me. I'd rather have my music where I can find it, instead of having on again off again album art.

From what I can tell, the weak link here is the Gracenotes file. I can live without having my album art, but I would also be appreciative of a Gracenotes update (or even better, an ongoing Gracenotes update program like that which exists for maps). According to the Gracenotes customer service rep, Gracenotes is a business-to-business service and updates would be issued through Chrysler according to the contract between Chrysler and Gracenotes.

History has shown that Chrysler can respond to software deficiencies (ie playlist update). As new music is continually entering the market which would not be included in our version of the Gracenotes database, I find it unthinkable that Chrysler would not have a continuing service plan to provide updates to customers interested in having those. Clearly, Chrysler is marketing the Uconnect system with the Gracenotes database recognition as a selling feature. If they ignore the fact that the database will begin to be out of date immediately, that, IMHO, is a bad business plan.

I find it remarkable that the only suggestion you could get is above. Really? No thoughts about Gracenotes? I would like the above responder to specifically address the issue of Gracenotes deficiencies and how Chrysler plans to address these deficiencies in the future. Are there updates forthcoming? Is there an update time line that can be communicated? If Chrysler has no plan, I'd like to have the straight scoop.

Peace.

Just for completness, here is my response from Gracenotes:

It certainly implies that updates could be available from Chrysler. . .

Hello Brian,

Thanks for writing. Although Gracenote has been delivering solutions in the automotive market since 2001, each company has a slightly different strategy for helping their customers and distributing database updates to their customers. The place to ask about service, technical manuals and the latest updates is at your local dealership.

The way this works is that the automaker has their own development department that built a product that's licensed to use our recognition technology. They have signed a contract with Gracenote so that we can provide them recognition technology and updates.

We are a business-to-business technology company. We then provide the car company updates at regular intervals according to their contract, and they distribute updates to their consumers (that would be you). Because I'm not familiar with the product in your vehicle, and don’t have any technical manuals, I'm at a disadvantage here.

If your own dealer is not helpful, the headquarters should be able to easily answer your questions. They would best know how the car manufacturer is providing information and updates for you - their customer.

Now I did some searching and it looks like you can find a technical manual or support here:

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/mygig/

However, as they’re working out details and updates are not always available, there’s an unofficial site that I can’t officially recommend:

http://mofv.com/mygig/

Sincerely,

Sonia Clerc

Gracenote, Inc. / Customer Service Representative

sclerc@gracenote.com[/color]

Edited by redtomatoman

• Official Dodge Support

When I turn off Music Cleanup (Gracenotes) I get my Van Halen albums back and I think all my music lists identically to my iPod, but I get no album art for anything on my iPod. Evidently, the Uconnect system does not recognize the iPod art and relies exclusively on Gracenotes? Just to be thorough, I downloaded the newest VH album from iTunes, and those files were also reconginzed as Hale. Rechecked the tags on both the old and new VH files, they are all correct as far as my mp3 tag editor can identify. Renaming to VanHalen did nothing. The Gracenotes data base just continued to recognize those files as Hale. For now I have found that just turning off the Music Cleanup (Gracenotes) is the best solution for me. I'd rather have my music where I can find it, instead of having on again off again album art.

From what I can tell, the weak link here is the Gracenotes file. I can live without having my album art, but I would also be appreciative of a Gracenotes update (or even better, an ongoing Gracenotes update program like that which exists for maps). According to the Gracenotes customer service rep, Gracenotes is a business-to-business service and updates would be issued through Chrysler according to the contract between Chrysler and Gracenotes.

History has shown that Chrysler can respond to software deficiencies (ie playlist update). As new music is continually entering the market which would not be included in our version of the Gracenotes database, I find it unthinkable that Chrysler would not have a continuing service plan to provide updates to customers interested in having those. Clearly, Chrysler is marketing the Uconnect system with the Gracenotes database recognition as a selling feature. If they ignore the fact that the database will begin to be out of date immediately, that, IMHO, is a bad business plan.

I find it remarkable that the only suggestion you could get is above. Really? No thoughts about Gracenotes? I would like the above responder to specifically address the issue of Gracenotes deficiencies and how Chrysler plans to address these deficiencies in the future. Are there updates forthcoming? Is there an update time line that can be communicated? If Chrysler has no plan, I'd like to have the straight scoop.

Peace.

Red,

I will post the official Chrysler fix/update when it becomes available. I assume the unofficial site that the person from Gracenotes supplied the link for did not help you out. As far as offering further suggestions on this issue, I will refrain from doing so until something is officially released since any speculative solutions that do not work only seem to making the matter worse.

As far as the timeline for a fix, I cannot offer one. I have reported the problem that you and another poster have reported. Chrysler is constantly working on upgrades to any number of issues and it is unfortunate that that the one you seek is not available at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will post back when any new information becomes available.

Evidently, the Uconnect system does not recognize the iPod art and relies exclusively on Gracenotes?

Yes, that does seem to be the case. I carefully made sure the album art for my entire library was embedded in each song in an attempt to get the album art to display correctly. But it didn't seem to matter. If the album art for a song is missing from the Gracenote database, the art won't be shown regardless of whether the art is embedded in the music file. I wish it would look in the Gracenote database and then look within the mp3 file if Gracenote doesn't have it.

Chrysler is constantly working on upgrades to any number of issues

I hope that is really the case, because the European adaptation of the uconnect system is really poorly made.

Edit: and the updates released until now have only made things worse.

Edited by Lebowski

Red,

I will post the official Chrysler fix/update when it becomes available. I assume the unofficial site that the person from Gracenotes supplied the link for did not help you out. As far as offering further suggestions on this issue, I will refrain from doing so until something is officially released since any speculative solutions that do not work only seem to making the matter worse.

As far as the timeline for a fix, I cannot offer one. I have reported the problem that you and another poster have reported. Chrysler is constantly working on upgrades to any number of issues and it is unfortunate that that the one you seek is not available at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will post back when any new information becomes available.

Thank you, Chris. I know you are one that will do all you can to make this right. Until then, I still love my Journey and I will go without album art so that my library stays organized.

Peace.