Journey Crash Test

RickyCheung

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently in Alberta Canada, a drunk driver in Range Rover was driving on the wrong lane on highway 2, and collided head-on with a Journey, 4 people in the journey died, and fifth person has critical injuries. The driver of range rover has minor injuries and has been released from the hospital. I know it's no fair to compare Journey to Range rover since they're in different price categories, just want to remind all fellow journey owners drive defensively, you never know who's out there on the road.

http://calgary.ctv.c...hub=CalgaryHome

Edited by DMR

I travel often to Calgary for work for weeks at a time. I read the Calgary Sun. Seems to me like the folks that way have not figured out that drinking and driving don't mix.

There many cases of that on hwy 2.

We even lost a coworker in an accident like the one above.

Sad.

I completely agree that defensive driving is far better than relying on the vehicle to save your life.

So here are the Five Seeing Habits

1. Aim high in steering.

2. Get the big picture.

3. Keep your eyes moving.

4. Leave yourself an out.

5. Make sure they see you.

The problem with the Crash Tests are that they are controlled experiments. I think a lot of companies have become very good at doing well on the crash test, without really increasing the safety of their vehicles in uncontrolled situations. If you look at cars like Mercedes or Volvo, you have car makers who try to make their cars safe in real life situations, like loosing control at 100 mph on the Autobahn. In order to do that, you have to plan every piece of the car, everycomponent, steel strengths, etc. with safety as priority one. Unfortunately, that costs a lost of money, which not everyone can afford.

My auto insurance agent told me my 2012 Journey has the higest safety rating for there rates that affect my cost..........I switched over my 2005 Chev avalanche over to the brand new 2012 Journey R/T AWD and the rates were about$ 60.00 year cheaper...........Go figure?..........They also told me the smaller compact cars have a bad safety rating ..........Caper....

• 4 months later...

Different things will impact the survivability of a crash.

Seatbelts probably wouldn't save the front passenger, should've saved the rears.

That range rover is around 1k lbs heavier, likely speeding (therefore carrying larger energy), and that was worse case scenario. The dreaded off center front impact. The farder off the center the impact is, the more intrusion there is.

It's sad to see accidents like that, specially drunk driver accidents.

I hope he gets the book thrown at him. Rot in jail.

Rear ended by a Escape a few weeks ago, didnt feel a thing in my 1010 R/T awd

Active head rests really do work... look at photos in album.

It was an off centre hit wrote off my car, frame twisted above rear passenger doors, pushed exhaust into drive shaft and other damage..

in market for another one now same car maybe newer.

• 3 weeks later...