Daytime Running Lamps

i cant seem to find where the discussion was before... but...

i FINALLY thought about it last night and tested it. i can turn my DRLs on and off through the 8.4 in our journey. make it known that i DO have the lockpick. not sure that is a difference. also, make it known that they are VERY dim and can not be confused with the headlights being on at night.

i FINALLY thought about it last night and tested it. i can turn my DRLs on and off through the 8.4 in our journey. make it known that i DO have the lockpick. not sure that is a difference. also, make it known that they are VERY dim and can not be confused with the headlights being on at night.

did you add the rear camera with your lockpic have been wanting to add one but wanted to hear from someone that already installed one. would love to hear if it is as good as the factory installed rear camera. seems like running the wire from the camera to the radio would be the hard part. thanks

What trim level is your Journey? Most reports from US Journey owners say that turning the DRLs on though the 8.4 screen doesn't seem to actually turn them on.

I didn't know we were? I'm upset that my Journey may not have them. I wish they were required in the US I wouldn't have to wonder.

I've seen a lot of posts on other enthusiast message boards and it seems to be something that many Americans are really bothered by. Lots of misconceptions and some people will go to great lengths to removed them from their vehicle. They've been law here in Canada for a long time and it's just normal.

I've seen a lot of posts on other enthusiast message boards and it seems to be something that many Americans are really bothered by. Lots of misconceptions and some people will go to great lengths to removed them from their vehicle. They've been law here in Canada for a long time and it's just normal.

Intentionally disabling DRLs seem like a waste of time. I never knew there were a lot of people out there that do that.

Every car I've owned for many years has had DRLs. I really don't like the idea of not having them, which is why I'm disappointed that my Journey probably won't have them. I don't understand why any manufacturer would disable them in the American version of their cars just because they're not legally required. The parts are all there, so it's not like they're saving any money. And since the uconnect system gives the option of turning them on and off, why not have them working on every car? If somebody really doesn't want them, they can just turn them off. Instead they deprive American owners of an important safety feature just because it's not required.

I read in another thread that somebody was successful in getting them enabled on their American Journey. Chrysler had to add the sales code for DRLs to their VIN, and then the dealer had to flash the computer with that info. That's what I'm going to try to do if my car comes without functioning DRLs.

Ours is a Mainstreet, and the rearview camera is the stock one. i'll (hopefully) add the front camera at some point in the future.

as for DRL's, i dont see the point in having them on in a reduced lighting level. to me, they should either be on or off. i got into the habit of avoiding them when they started filtering into some of the US cars when I was in the military. It was certainly annoying back then when standing on a gate, and you couldnt turn the headlights off approaching the gate. As a MP standing on the gate, you couldnt see what was coming at you. anyway. times change. someone asked about it and mine will turn the DRLs off and on.

• 2 weeks later...

Intentionally disabling DRLs seem like a waste of time. I never knew there were a lot of people out there that do that.

Every car I've owned for many years has had DRLs. I really don't like the idea of not having them, which is why I'm disappointed that my Journey probably won't have them. I don't understand why any manufacturer would disable them in the American version of their cars just because they're not legally required. The parts are all there, so it's not like they're saving any money. And since the uconnect system gives the option of turning them on and off, why not have them working on every car? If somebody really doesn't want them, they can just turn them off. Instead they deprive American owners of an important safety feature just because it's not required.

I read in another thread that somebody was successful in getting them enabled on their American Journey. Chrysler had to add the sales code for DRLs to their VIN, and then the dealer had to flash the computer with that info. That's what I'm going to try to do if my car comes without functioning DRLs.

Yep that was me, I brought a 2011 Journey LUX from the US to Canada and had to get the DRLs enabled at the dealership. The option was already there in the settings, but enabling them through the settings didn't work. After getting them enabled at the dealership, I can now turn them off or on.

Yep that was me, I brought a 2011 Journey LUX from the US to Canada and had to get the DRLs enabled at the dealership. The option was already there in the settings, but enabling them through the settings didn't work. After getting them enabled at the dealership, I can now turn them off or on.

Thanks for that. I used your info to get my dealer to enable the DRLs for me. They would have had no idea how to do it otherwise.

What trim level is your Journey? Most reports from US Journey owners say that turning the DRLs on though the 8.4 screen doesn't seem to actually turn them on.
.......................found this on a different web site and it is true. turn on the drl thur the 8.4 screen then start your car and put the car in gear then have someone look at the lights and they will be on. but only when the car is in foward or reverse. when it is in park mode the drl will be off. i checked mine just now and this is 100 percent true. i have a 2011 mainstreet journey

.......................found this on a different web site and it is true. turn on the drl thur the 8.4 screen then start your car and put the car in gear then have someone look at the lights and they will be on. but only when the car is in foward or reverse. when it is in park mode the drl will be off. i checked mine just now and this is 100 percent true. i have a 2011 mainstreet journey

That's only true if the DRLs came activated from the factory. This is not the case with the Crew & R/T trim for some odd reason. It looks like 2011 Mainstreet and Express trim levels had DRLs as an option. For 2012, it's the AVP (CVP) and SE trim that offer DRLs as an option. Officially, they're not available on the SXT, Crew, and R/T for 2012 although I've seen an SXT that had them listed on the window sticker.

Believe me, I checked to make sure they really didn't work before paying the dealer to activate them. It makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

• 4 months later...

What are the dealer charges to flash the computer? Seems like something that should work from the get-go to me. I have a AVP with the 4.3 and the option to turn them on or off is in the menu, I just figured I had a bug or something that was messing them up. Only had the vehicle for a week now, and so far really like it. An gonna have to do something about the stock speakers tho

• 1 year later...

I noticed there was an option on the touchscreen (I have the 4.3S on a 2012 SXT model) to turn daytime running lights on/off. Toggling settings didn't activate any DRL's for me. I asked the dealer about this when it was in there for something else. They said it didn't 'come with them' at time of sale, but they could activate them for $55. Probably some software upgrade they can do, seems dumb to me. I'm not paying $55!

I noticed there was an option on the touchscreen (I have the 4.3S on a 2012 SXT model) to turn daytime running lights on/off. Toggling settings didn't activate any DRL's for me. I asked the dealer about this when it was in there for something else. They said it didn't 'come with them' at time of sale, but they could activate them for $55. Probably some software upgrade they can do, seems dumb to me. I'm not paying $55!

There is a sales code which corresponds to DRL in US model Journeys. Even though the option is there on the radio to toggle them on and off, they will not work unless the sales code is added to your vehicle's code database. Adding the sales code is a three minute procedure, then the car's software has to be reconfigured before the new code will be recognized by the car. It's like when you perform Windows updates to your home PC. They don't take effect until you restart your computer. A vehicle reconfiguration is just like a computer restart. It only takes a few minutes to do. Most dealers charge for it. If you have a good relationship with your selling dealer, they *may* do it for you at no charge.

I would like the ability to do what the tuners for most Jeeps allow...to change the lights that are enabled as DRLs. In the Jeeps, if you have the tuner, you can change the DRLs to the fog lights. I'd love to be able to do that, instead of using the high beams at 50%.