BIG BULLY CAI... HOT HOT HOT!

ralva76

I just received an e-mail from 3gcustomz.com (the makers of big bully cai) in response to my question on developement of a CAI for the 3.6 Journey. Here is what was said...

Hey Raymond,

I'm sorry but your right your probably the first person to ask about a Journey. As you can imagine the amount of time and money that goes into product development we are not working on anything for your car at this time. Get your forum guys to bug the crap out of us and it would certainly make our decision a lot easier.

Thanks for the interest,

Gary

So with that being said if you want a CAI for your Journey bug the heck out of this guy (pops@3gcustomz.com).

i went to K&N's website and registed for updates on the journey.... nothing yet, obviously.

on a side note, i pulled the cover off the engine last night and took a look. i cant believe how far that stinking intake snakes around under there. wow. looks like it was done to cut down on intake noise. NVH was a big deal.

I emailed 3G about a year ago concerning my 2010. I told them since the Avenger and Journey have the 3.5 they might want to think about making some parts. They emailed me back and said they were thinking about it and if they decided to go with it would I be willing to leave my Journey with them for about 3 weeks for development. I told them of course, and of course I havent heard from them again.

i went to K&N's website and registed for updates on the journey.... nothing yet, obviously.

on a side note, i pulled the cover off the engine last night and took a look. i cant believe how far that stinking intake snakes around under there. wow. looks like it was done to cut down on intake noise. NVH was a big deal.

I couldn't believe the intake tract's length either the first time I had the engine cover off. The only 3.6 application that's not really long is in the Challenger (this and a slightly different manifold is supposed to be the HP difference). To me it would have made more sense to bring the tract from the passenger side but my guess is they utilized the basic configuration from the 3.5 to save on design/manufacture cost. Mopar is supposed to have a CAI in the near future for the 3.6 Avenger. From what I've read it's manufactured by AEM. I'm a bit impatient so I adapted a K&N CAI for the 2010 Avenger 3.5 to my 3.6 Journey. It took a bit of massaging but it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, but I saw it. Was hoping someone would see it and give some feedback. Seems kind of inexpensive as compared to other intake systems. Not sure if the filter is not quite as high quality?

Peace.

The filter resembles the Spectre brand reusable ones. If it fits well then it's a step forward but they use thin wall aluminum for tubing so you have to deal with heat soak. Though with the intake tract somewhat behind the exhaust manifolds it may not be as bad. I just wish Dodge had not used previous mounting points for the intake tract and moved it to the passenger side (I know it saved on development/engineering/manufacture costs). Am I the only one that's modified the Avenger 3.5 K&N CAI for use in the 3.6 Journey? The only issue I would see is in areas with visual inspections if they would or would not pass you with it in place.

Consider to upgrade the throttle body, I did this on my Avenger and feel a slight increase in the low RPM's. It looks like the MPG also improved slightly.

I just ordered 2 other ones for some forum members.

When you suggest upgrade the throttle body are you speaking of the 3.5? I would imagine cleaning up the body of the one on the 3.6 would help. The biggest thing is the hat connected to the throttle body that reverses the intake section to connect to the intake tract. If funds had been available to redesign the underhood to allow the intake run to the passenger side would be more direct. But even the Durango's ,and I believe the Charger, but they are more direct than the Journey.

Pictures of what you guys have done would be nice. I have a CAI from E-Bay for a 2.7L Charger. I have been thinking of cutting it down and mounting it to my Journey. I have also been thinking of talk with 3g and getting a RAW 3.5L set up and weld on my own Bracket for the Journey. Maybe if I do this, 3g can get the Ball rolling on a Big Bully for us. I run a Big Bully on my Charger and love it.

• 2 months later...

I e-mailed 3Gcustoms and this is the response I got,

From: pops <pops@3gcustomz.com> Date: Tue, Jan 3, 2012 11:01 pm

We would have to start from scratch on this one and we have received next to nothing on interest so we will not be developing anything for now. Thanks, Gary

If nobody has e-mailed then than nothing is going to be made.

Why wate time to do research when a company can fab one up for people to easily purchase and install? I can fab something up on my own for the vehicle I have done so before, I just wanted to put out the information that if we as Journey owners wanted the product it could be done. I know this will fit the trottle body on the 3.6 Journey http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AID-300-637/. I will probably purchase the TBS and a K&N drop in filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I ordered the K&N panel filter and installed it. When I did... I noticed a felt-looking oval extention in the bottom of the intake from the snorkel. It looked pointless, so I removed it. :D (counts as first mod... hahahaa)

That said, there definitely is a little more of a throaty growl from under the hood at a certain rpm range. Just took a short drive. I'm taking the wife to a doctors appointment "today", so I might try to actually pay attention this time. If there is any change in the routine 24.x mpg we have been seeing, i'll let y'all know.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump....would like to know as well..about the felt inside the intake.

Couple of threads already existing on that silly felt tube.... ;)

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/5325-felt-tube-inside-the-air-filter-box/?hl=%2Bfelt+%2Btube

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/3448-if-you-want-a-cai-for-your-journey-please-read/page-2?hl=%2Bfelt+%2Btube#entry33441

All it's there for is noise control.