Journey - Not so much

jimbocoles

I am new to this forum and forums in general, but I have had the same problems with my 2009 Journey that many have had including faulty brakes / rotors and my car starts when it feels like it. I find this to be completely unacceptable as I am entrusting Dodge / Chrysler to ensure the safety of my wife, my three year old and my six month old. In short this car is a lemon and I will never buy D/C again and will advise anyone the same. I also work for an organization that deals with social media strategy and software every day and I believe that there are some individuals (apologists) from Dodge who are both monitoring and posting on this forum touting their "new" 2011 products and how "greatly improved" they are - "you have to check them out!". The fact is, there is a reason this company was on life support prior to our tax dollars bailing them out - they stink. I have owned three Jeep wranglers in my youth that would die at 90k like clockwork. This company should have been taken off life support while we had the chance. Anyone want a 2009 Dodge Journey? You can have it on the cheap. Thanks for the opportunity to vent!

jim

I'm sorry to hear of your issues, however I don't understand some things about your story. You say you already had a poor impression of the company due to your experience with several Wranglers. You also appear to have disdain for the bailout money used to save the company (and thousands of American jobs). Now, if your impression was that poor, why then would you purchase a vehicle from a company that was in the middle of a pending bankruptcy and had been known for declining quality due to cost cutting by their foreign owners? Either you're very naive or you got a bargain on a clearout and bought one against your better judgement.

I have seen the 2009/10 models and I would not have bought one of those. The 2011 improvements are substantial and I for one am very pleased with my Journey so far. Given that Dodge is selling around 4000 of these a month and only a handful of people have reported serious problems here tells me that the lemons are the exception and not the rule. There definitely were some serious issues with the first generation - and that doesn't surprise me given what the company was going through at the time and who owned them.

Edited by Powdered Toast Man

I am new to this forum and forums in general, but I have had the same problems with my 2009 Journey that many have had including faulty brakes / rotors and my car starts when it feels like it. I find this to be completely unacceptable as I am entrusting Dodge / Chrysler to ensure the safety of my wife, my three year old and my six month old. In short this car is a lemon and I will never buy D/C again and will advise anyone the same. I also work for an organization that deals with social media strategy and software every day and I believe that there are some individuals (apologists) from Dodge who are both monitoring and posting on this forum touting their "new" 2011 products and how "greatly improved" they are - "you have to check them out!". The fact is, there is a reason this company was on life support prior to our tax dollars bailing them out - they stink. I have owned three Jeep wranglers in my youth that would die at 90k like clockwork. This company should have been taken off life support while we had the chance. Anyone want a 2009 Dodge Journey? You can have it on the cheap. Thanks for the opportunity to vent!

jim

I too, am new to this forum but not new to Chrysler/Dodge forums in the past. I've recently purchased a 2012 Dodge Journey and have found this vehicle to be of top quality and the new design features it has over the 09's and 10's are remarkable. Yes, Chrysler was facing tough times during those years and many people, including myself were unsure of their future with Chrysler. I chose to retire after 33 1/2 years with the company, not only to help them out, but to allow the younger employees a chance to survive.

One HUGE misconception that people have, including our new friend, jimbocoles, is that they think that this money was given to Chrysler and GM as a 'BAILOUT" but fact of the matter is, dear sir/madam, is that it was a LOAN and NOT a BAILOUT.... a LOAN has to be PAID BACK...that, of which Chrysler and GM DID, and might I say..."YEARS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE"....Now a BAILOUT is what many of the banks recieved when they were in trouble... the government said...here... take these BILLIONS of dollars and get yourself back on your feet.... BANKS "NEVER" had to pay back any of that money.... Just something to think about when you get your next MORTGAGE ! Enjoy your stay here on the board.

Don't be a hater jimbocoles. No one likes a hater. Especially me. Take any first year model from any company and you'll find that reliability is an issue as unforeseen problems are dealt with. Unfortunately for Dodge, the '09s and '10s have problems. I have a 2011 Journey and I have nothing but good things to say about it. All cars break down, all cars have problems. Brakes is a major one, I agree, but Dodge has since brought TSBs and recalls for those problems. I'm certainly not a Chrysler executive posting here so I can't be sure, but I don't recall any issues with brakes failing, just wearing quickly. If your brakes are bad, do the right thing; get your brakes replaced so your wife and kids are safe.

I have a 1991 Dakota 4x4 with 212K that is still going strong. I beat the crap out of it every weekend. I routinely pass other vehicles stuck or broken down on back roads. Rather than hate, I help them out.

Return your 2009 and get a 2011 if you like the other features of your Journey. I think you'll find that there is, indeed, a big difference.

Please no more name calling or conspiracy theories. . .

Peace.

I too, am new to this forum but not new to Chrysler/Dodge forums in the past. I've recently purchased a 2012 Dodge Journey and have found this vehicle to be of top quality and the new design features it has over the 09's and 10's are remarkable. Yes, Chrysler was facing tough times during those years and many people, including myself were unsure of their future with Chrysler. I chose to retire after 33 1/2 years with the company, not only to help them out, but to allow the younger employees a chance to survive.

One HUGE misconception that people have, including our new friend, jimbocoles, is that they think that this money was given to Chrysler and GM as a 'BAILOUT" but fact of the matter is, dear sir/madam, is that it was a LOAN and NOT a BAILOUT.... a LOAN has to be PAID BACK...that, of which Chrysler and GM DID, and might I say..."YEARS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE"....Now a BAILOUT is what many of the banks recieved when they were in trouble... the government said...here... take these BILLIONS of dollars and get yourself back on your feet.... BANKS "NEVER" had to pay back any of that money.... Just something to think about when you get your next MORTGAGE ! Enjoy your stay here on the board.

If you call losing 1.3 Billion dollars on the deal being successful I would call that not only a bailout but a massive failure of our government to protect taxpayer money.

I can agree that sometimes the first year run may have some problem. But I have in the past bought from dodge first run cars because of my long history with buying Dodge cars and trucks and have found that the issue of a first year run to not be a problem related to simple things that would and should have been caught in the testing process. While I would never expect Dodge to change out an interior because of a comfort issue. I would expect dodge to correct brakes and items that are replaceable!

When I bought my 06 SRT8 it had brake issues and they quickly changed out the rotors with vented ones. In the case of the Journey I would have thought that Dodge would have issued a TSB on the brakes and then corrected it at the factory on the 2010 model! As they did on the 06 and then 07 SRT8's.

While I understand that Dodge was going thru a "Bad" time! they should have corrected the brakes!! On my 08 SRT8 I just got a letter from dodge saying come in and get your fans replaced they may break apart. Which of course I did.

To me I feel they are looking at the owners of there Cheaper cars "Journey" etc as non factors! And for over $30,000 for a fully loaded Journey in these time for financial duress. I don't think I own a "cheap" car.

And now with Dodge locking up the 2012 cars "PCM's" Computers locked out so that I, we the purchaser of the car can't conduct reprogramming of th e computer if we chose. Makes me sad to say that I will never purchase a Dodge product again if I can't reprogram the computer either by using a handheld programmer like the Predator or superchips let alone getting a CMR tune! And I have been driving dodge only since 1986!

I can agree that sometimes the first year run may have some problem. But I have in the past bought from dodge first run cars because of my long history with buying Dodge cars and trucks and have found that the issue of a first year run to not be a problem related to simple things that would and should have been caught in the testing process. While I would never expect Dodge to change out an interior because of a comfort issue. I would expect dodge to correct brakes and items that are replaceable!

When I bought my 06 SRT8 it had brake issues and they quickly changed out the rotors with vented ones. In the case of the Journey I would have thought that Dodge would have issued a TSB on the brakes and then corrected it at the factory on the 2010 model! As they did on the 06 and then 07 SRT8's.

While I understand that Dodge was going thru a "Bad" time! they should have corrected the brakes!! On my 08 SRT8 I just got a letter from dodge saying come in and get your fans replaced they may break apart. Which of course I did.

To me I feel they are looking at the owners of there Cheaper cars "Journey" etc as non factors! And for over $30,000 for a fully loaded Journey in these time for financial duress. I don't think I own a "cheap" car.

And now with Dodge locking up the 2012 cars "PCM's" Computers locked out so that I, we the purchaser of the car can't conduct reprogramming of th e computer if we chose. Makes me sad to say that I will never purchase a Dodge product again if I can't reprogram the computer either by using a handheld programmer like the Predator or superchips let alone getting a CMR tune! And I have been driving dodge only since 1986!

It will take a good programmer about ten minutes to break the lock.

I'm sorry to hear of your issues, however I don't understand some things about your story. You say you already had a poor impression of the company due to your experience with several Wranglers. You also appear to have disdain for the bailout money used to save the company (and thousands of American jobs). Now, if your impression was that poor, why then would you purchase a vehicle from a company that was in the middle of a pending bankruptcy and had been known for declining quality due to cost cutting by their foreign owners? Either you're very naive or you got a bargain on a clearout and bought one against your better judgement.

I have seen the 2009/10 models and I would not have bought one of those. The 2011 improvements are substantial and I for one am very pleased with my Journey so far. Given that Dodge is selling around 4000 of these a month and only a handful of people have reported serious problems here tells me that the lemons are the exception and not the rule. There definitely were some serious issues with the first generation - and that doesn't surprise me given what the company was going through at the time and who owned them.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be a hater jimbocoles. No one likes a hater. Especially me. Take any first year model from any company and you'll find that reliability is an issue as unforeseen problems are dealt with. Unfortunately for Dodge, the '09s and '10s have problems. I have a 2011 Journey and I have nothing but good things to say about it. All cars break down, all cars have problems. Brakes is a major one, I agree, but Dodge has since brought TSBs and recalls for those problems. I'm certainly not a Chrysler executive posting here so I can't be sure, but I don't recall any issues with brakes failing, just wearing quickly. If your brakes are bad, do the right thing; get your brakes replaced so your wife and kids are safe.

I have a 1991 Dakota 4x4 with 212K that is still going strong. I beat the crap out of it every weekend. I routinely pass other vehicles stuck or broken down on back roads. Rather than hate, I help them out.

Return your 2009 and get a 2011 if you like the other features of your Journey. I think you'll find that there is, indeed, a big difference.

Please no more name calling or conspiracy theories. . .

Peace.

I have a 2010 and if you had asked me 2 months ago I would have sang praises for the car-It has now been in the shop for over a month and I can not even get Dodge to return my phone calls. I wish you continued luck with your Journey.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about your luck Jimbocoles.

Dont buy a 2011 either! See my experience with the Journey and the Company and you will see why! They do not stand behind their product. Until they do the right thing i will never recommend to anyone. Ive had a Brand new 2009 G8 and a 2012 Mustang and both GM and Ford are amazing with their follow up and customer service! Have never got a call or letter from Chrysler about my experience with the dealer or how i like my car.

If you call losing 1.3 Billion dollars on the deal being successful I would call that not only a bailout but a massive failure of our government to protect taxpayer money.

Given that they spent $1.3 billion to save thousands and thousands of middle class working man jobs versus $700 billion given away to the banks and investment houses to do... well what did it do? Anyway, I'd say that was money well spent when you consider the economic DISASTER that would have been if Chrysler and GM had both gone under. Consider that it's not just the employees at the factory that would have been impacted - there's thousands of jobs with suppliers that would have been lost, dealerships in every city and town... it would have been a bloodbath.

• 3 months later...

I've got an 09. Yep, replaced the brakes twice in 30,000 miles. Had a couple of minor issues as well, sunroof leaked (fixed by dealer under warranty), recall for a couple of things. All in all, I'm happy with my car. I got a great deal, it's an R/T, rides like a dream and has a lifetime power-train warranty. Is it a Caddy or BMW? No, but I didn't pay 50 grand for it either. Like everything, you get what you pay for. You want top of the line, it costs you. I agree 30,000 is a lot to pay for a car and it should be dependable, but it is what it is. My biggest complaint is that it's assembled in Mexico and not in the USA. I'd rather pay more for the car and have it really made here. Just my 2 cents, not wanting to start a war. ;)

• 5 months later...

I did pay close to 50 grand for my dodge journey 2010 and I love it, however have had a few problems, brakes and rotors needed to be replaced before it had done 25,000 kms, hard drive has just died for the second time, it has already been replaced, and am having an ongoing problem with it just not starting sometimes? So I am becoming increasingly frustrated and disappointed with it. It's boarding on unreliable. I did refuse to pay the $1,000 dodge wanted to replace the brakes as they know there is a problem, they covered it but not without making me feel like I was trying to rip them off! So heading back to the service dept tomorrow, I just know they will play dumb again, which leaves me having to fight to get heard, I hate this, not the car, the attitude I get when I tell them what's happening. I think service dept is the wrong mane for them

Had the politicians stuck to the original deal, had the public not put soo much pressure on the government..

Politicians aren't good with money. All they know how to do, is get people emotional, and spend money.

They were so eager to close the book on the deal (pressure from the public) that they took whatever they could as fast as possible. That's why so much money was lost.

A person can be a smart being, but when u rally them together, they become extensions of the loudest idiot. It's OUR fault we took a hit.

Btw, I'm in no way, shape, or form, associated with the car industry. I too saw the 09 journey, and thought... I'll pass.

The loan was a good idea mr tax payer.