Fake chrome wheels for 500$ ? WTF Dodge!

deulyd

HI,

Today, I washed my new 2011 Journey R/T for the first time. But a really unpleasant surprise was awaiting me...

When I washed the Chrome wheels, it sounded like cheap plastic as I was blasting water through them. After a close inspection, THOSE ARE NOT REAL CHROME WHEELS!!!! Its just a plastic over the actual rim (like a cheap hubcap). The dealer never told me that. I am really frustrated, even more after thinking I paid 500$ for that "supposed" upgrade. I think this is a TOTAL RIPOFF from dodge.

Actually, I even think it's a downgrade from the standard alluminum mags.

In the next two years, that plastic chrome will probably then will have scratches, dents ans loss of shine (like really cheap faucets).

HI,

Today, I washed my new 2011 Journey R/T for the first time. But a really unpleasant surprise was awaiting me...

When I washed the Chrome wheels, it sounded like cheap plastic as I was blasting water through them. After a close inspection, THOSE ARE NOT REAL CHROME WHEELS!!!! Its just a plastic over the actual rim (like a cheap hubcap). The dealer never told me that. I am really frustrated, even more after thinking I paid 500$ for that "supposed" upgrade. I think this is a TOTAL RIPOFF from dodge.

Actually, I even think it's a downgrade from the standard alluminum mags.

In the next two years, that plastic chrome will probably then will have scratches, dents ans loss of shine (like really cheap faucets).

That was half the reason that i STILL don't have a journey.. They had one on the lot exactly like I wanted EXCEPT the "chrome" rim option and no bluetooth.... so I ordered..and waited

...and waited..and waited. ha

This is precisely why I didn't get an R/T as every R/T that I saw had the chrome rims. I didn't have time to order the exact one I wanted, so I ended up lucking out finding my Crew.

It was the same issue when I had my Caliber. They had the same chrome rim option and I thought they looked good, until I got up close to them and found out that they are just a plastic cover over the wheel. Totally fake chrome and absolutely not worth $500.

Edited by drb227

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the chrome clad wheels.... that I am afraid I already know the answer to.. I have a 2012 Journey Crew with the chrome clad wheels. It's not even 6 months old and I have spotted a cut or nick in of of the chrome covers... probably a curb check if I had to guess. My question is what do I do now? replace it at some crazy ass cost? or buy new wheels?? Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks

I had chrome clad wheels on my '08 Jeep Commander... Some of the best wheels I've ever owned. Held up well, even off-roading, never an issue with brake dust etching the finish and no matter what I went through, they easily cleaned up good as new. With what I've seen brake dust do to coated aluminum wheels, I'd be OK with chrome clads. My '13 R/T came with the optional styled aluminum wheels as part of the R/T package, but, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash if it had been standard with the clad wheels. As long as the cladding isn't broken all the way through, I'd just live with it. If you curb check an aluminum wheel, you'd be in the same boat; not much you can do with a curb check no matter what the wheel is made of.

I had chrome clad wheels on my '08 Jeep Commander... Some of the best wheels I've ever owned. Held up well, even off-roading, never an issue with brake dust etching the finish and no matter what I went through, they easily cleaned up good as new. With what I've seen brake dust do to coated aluminum wheels, I'd be OK with chrome clads. My '13 R/T came with the optional styled aluminum wheels as part of the R/T package, but, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash if it had been standard with the clad wheels. As long as the cladding isn't broken all the way through, I'd just live with it. If you curb check an aluminum wheel, you'd be in the same boat; not much you can do with a curb check no matter what the wheel is made of.

Not true, you can go to a rim repair shop. Here in Toronto we have quite a few of them. Last year one of my rims on my DJ smacked into a curb that took a chunk off the rim ....$150.00 (all taxes included) and you can't tell that anything happened. Here are examples of the type of work this one shop does: http://www.unionrim.com/#!services

(***** in no way am I affiliated or endorse the company link provided, this is posted strictly for educational purposes only*****)

A plastic cover? Like a hub cap?

Chrome is a plating process where the shiny chromium metal is deposited on top of the base metal - it can certainly peel away if the surface is improperly prepared or if there is a hole where moisture can get between the two surfaces.

http://www.answers.com/guides/what-is-chrome-plating

My old 2000 LHS has chrome wheels (actually I have 2.25 sets of them, one with all season tires and the other with my snows - the summers have TPS sensors) and the big problem is that the well where the TPS sensor/valve is installed corrodes and needs to be ground and grease coated every so often or else the wheel starts leaking - all 8 wheels (of the 9 - the spare is also chrome, but it's never been out of the trunk) have done this.

Not true, you can go to a rim repair shop. Here in Toronto we have quite a few of them. Last year one of my rims on my DJ smacked into a curb that took a chunk off the rim ....$150.00 (all taxes included) and you can't tell that anything happened. Here are examples of the type of work this one shop does: http://www.unionrim.com/#!services

(***** in no way am I affiliated or endorse the company link provided, this is posted strictly for educational purposes only*****)

You can also have the clad wheels "repaired"...a friend runs an auto body shop...has "chrome" powder coat that sets up just like metal chrome (that may well be what the clad's coating is). He "rechromed" some trim on my 1976 Eldorado with it. You can't tell it is powder coated. The reason I'm guessing that the cladding is some sort of powder coating is that the ones on my Jeep never corroded, never stained and never etched. I've never seen real chrome that inert.

Almost anything can be repaired if you throw enough money at it...for $150, I'd be driving around with a ding or scrape on my wheel and spend the money elsewhere. We live out in the boonies and the nearest town where I might find such a service is several hours, one way, in travel time. For the $150 and the time and money spent to get there, I'd be driving the vehicle with a ding in it as long it was still true, held air and was mechanically sound. On the Journey, I'd probably be without the truck while it was being repaired; that spare donut wheel is for emergency use (different diameter and it would play havoc with AWD over any length of time). I guess I'm not very vain about my wheels...not even on my '76 Eldorado. The hub caps on it are pretty beat up (Eldorados are notorious for throwing hub caps), but, at least I've still got 4 of the stock SS wheel covers painted proper for the car; better than most Eldorado's out there. They, too, can be repaired...$300 per hub cap (SS is a bear to work with). Not worth the investment to me as it isn't a "show" car; just a well kept antique, driven a couple of times a year and in the Fall Foliage Festival to haul the "princesses" in the parade (I have the parade boot and the yound ladies look cute sitting up there waving).

Edited by webslave

Almost anything can be repaired if you throw enough money at it...for $150, I'd be driving around with a ding or scrape on my wheel and spend the money elsewhere.

I know that I couldn't leave it that way and I didn't...it bugs me every time i look at them. Anyhow, I thought I would present another option for anyone who wants to keep their stock rims and avoid paying the inflated cost at the dealer.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I know what you mean...there was a time when that sort of thing "bugged the daylights" out of me, too, and if it bugged me enough, no amount of time or money would prevent me from doing something about it. I guess it is the "age" thing now. I like for my stuff to look good, even new, but, I also realize that the car is a car; a means of transportation and a "tool" for doing it. I buy vehicles to use, and use them I do, and I accept normal wear and tear as part of the "fee" for that use...I don't worry about the little things much any more. I dented the tailgate on my truck; the wife was a little surprised at my lack of "attitude" and said as much. I just looked at her and said; "Its a truck. A truck gets used like a truck and gets some "character" along the way." It was just a little dent (a ding in the sharp crease at the top of the tailgate, and, to be honest, I don't even "see" it anymore unless I'm washing or waxing it.

Yep, if you have the resources availble (both time, money and a source of repair) then there are always alternatives to replacing. I think far too much "replacing" goes on and not enough "repair"; both cars and appliances. Remember the days of the Mom & Pop "Fix-It" stores? I guess I'm dating myself now, but, I vote "repair" over "replace" any time.

• 3 weeks later...
A plastic cover? Like a hub cap?

Chrome is a plating process where the shiny chromium metal is deposited on top of the base metal - it can certainly peel away if the surface is improperly prepared or if there is a hole where moisture can get between the two surfaces.

http://www.answers.com/guides/what-is-chrome-plating

My old 2000 LHS has chrome wheels (actually I have 2.25 sets of them, one with all season tires and the other with my snows - the summers have TPS sensors) and the big problem is that the well where the TPS sensor/valve is installed corrodes and needs to be ground and grease coated every so often or else the wheel starts leaking - all 8 wheels (of the 9 - the spare is also chrome, but it's never been out of the trunk) have done this.

A chrome clad wheel is an aluminum wheel with chromed plastic wheel cover permanently glued to it. This permanent wheel cover is made specifically for the aluminum wheel it's glued to. This is more common today. I once read that the reason car companies are doing this is to prevent rust and peeling of the chrome. I myself still wouldn't buy this type of wheel though.

when we ordered our 2013 DJ there was a promotion going on with a 700 REBATE and free upgrade to the CHROME CLAD rims. I argued with the guy that I didnt want them but he insisted that the rebate was worth more then the rims and will help with resale of the car. I also suggested switching them with the stock R/T (spidery looking) rims and he said they may not be compatible with our setup. lol. cop out.... but once are car came inthey exchanged them before i picked the car up as a suprise and we were very happy !!! the stock R/T rims are one of the reasons we started looking into upgrading our 2010 and dont like the plasticy feel when you touch the supposed upgraded rims. I understand it looks flashier but 600 seems a little steep for plastic covers. But in the end we got what we wanted and got to keep the rebate also, that kind of service is what keeps me going back to chrysler...

Edited by biohazard

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure glad the original owner of my 2009 Journey bought the chrome clad wheels and it sure didn't hurt when I was buying it to see the nice chrome looking wheels, there was a time not to long ago when the front grill on cars was chromed metal but now like the Journey they are chromed plastic but look nice and are durable.

Years ago I had chrome steel wheels on a Dodge Ram I purchased new and they had to be changed out after the first winter because of rust, so I have no problem accepting plastic chrome clad wheels today.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White

I did a Google search to see what some people are doing with chrome clad wheels. Some look pretty cool with the plastic "hubcap" removed, and the rim painted or sanded and polished.

Do you still have those links by chance? I am curious to look at them.

Terry