Hwy MPG

So what are some of you all getting on Road trips in your new rides?

Hwy speeds in STL vary from 60-70mph in the area.

I'm averaging above 24 MPG with my V6 AWD Journey. I'm doing about 65-70 on the highway.

This is a repeat of another post, but i had a business trip up to Canada and while i had my cruise control pegged at 100 km/h (I wasn't going to get a speeding ticket in a foreign country) I hit 28.2 MPG avg on the EVIC.

John

I'm averaging above 24 MPG with my V6 AWD Journey. I'm doing about 65-70 on the highway.

This is a repeat of another post, but i had a business trip up to Canada and while i had my cruise control pegged at 100 km/h (I wasn't going to get a speeding ticket in a foreign country) I hit 28.2 MPG avg on the EVIC.

John

sorry I must have missed the post. I've been off the boards for a few weeks.

Hmmm, I would like to know what I am doing wrong. I have never gotten more then high 21mpg on the highway with cruise set around 75mph and most of the time it averages 20mpg. I saw another post that stated high MPG as well. Any ideas? With gas prices the way they are I am using the 87 octane, would using 89 make a difference in MPG?

Alyssia

John

Hmmm, I would like to know what I am doing wrong. I have never gotten more then high 21mpg on the highway with cruise set around 75mph and most of the time it averages 20mpg. I saw another post that stated high MPG as well. Any ideas? With gas prices the way they are I am using the 87 octane, would using 89 make a difference in MPG?

Alyssia

It's your speed.

At 60mph my Ram get's mid 15's. Doing 70mph I get mid 14's. And 75 it's like 13mpg or gallons per mile.

some cars have a sweet spot for cruising, it sips the gas at a certain speed but as you go faster the car actually pushes through the air the faster you go, the harder it has to push. My little Cravan with a 3.0 and 3 speed tranny gets great mileage at 65 MPH any faster and it gulps the gas any slower and it stays the same.

This was a valuble lesson I learned the hard way. When I was younger bought a brand new travel trailer and tried to pull it with my car. Pulled great out of the dealer lot but once you tried to get up to highway speeds, forget it, the temperture moved like a second hand on a clock and the engine was pinging and rattling and could only get to 55 mph on level land that 8 foot wide by 9 foot tall trailer taught me a lesson :hysterical:

Driving at 75MPH will for sure use more gas

Rob

Yeah but even when I have cruised at lower speeds, including 65mph and lower, it has never gone over 21.9 mpg. I understand the concept of higher speeds, lower gas mileage, but I am just not seeing the mpg that others are getting, regardless of what speed I am driving.

Alyssia

I agree with the others....it's your speed. With my cruise on 65 mph, I averaged over 24. When I hit a 2 lane road and set my cruise on 55mph, It went over 26.

Yeah but even when I have cruised at lower speeds, including 65mph and lower, it has never gone over 21.9 mpg. I understand the concept of higher speeds, lower gas mileage, but I am just not seeing the mpg that others are getting, regardless of what speed I am driving.

Alyssia

I might be assuming too much, but have you hit the "reset" button for your MPG calculator. If not, you'll be averaging in all your previous driving. My caclucations are from gettign on the highway, resetting the button, and driving straight for 50-100-up to 250 miles or so.

If you haven't hit the "reset" button on your MPG computer, 21.9 is probably spot on. My mileage drops off fast as soon as I leave the highway.

John

if you want to figure your EXACT MPG do this

fill your car up and wait for the nozzle to click off now stop there, DO NOT ADD ANY MORE GAS

drive down the highway at a set speed, then go back to the SAME gas station and SAME PUMP and fill the exact same way. let the nozzle click off and do not add anymore fuel. The distance you drove, used that many gallons of gas and figure from there. The further you drive the more accurate the test will be. This is how I figure my actual mileage out.

Rob

Going by MPG calculated from miles driven since the last fill, I'm getting 20-21 with my V6 SXT with daily driving (typically a 35 mile commute each way with a mixture of driving conditions). The dash computer is showing 22-23MPG. Past experience with my Rams has led me to believe that the onboard fuel economy display tends to exaggerate by a MPG or two.

I have a bit of skepticism for anything over 24 MPG at expressway speeds with the V6...unless you're drafting a truck. B)

Good point radon360.

I'd like to suggest that all mileage quotes posted on this forum be accomanied by the calculation method - i.e. trip computer vs. gallons at pump / miles driven vs. whatever other method you may use. Also, I'd like to hear if anyone has done any comparisons on the trip computer vs. fill-up method. I've only ever had one other car with a trip computer (1987 Ford Taurus LX), and it was notoriously optimistic regarding MPG on trip computer vs. fill-up method.

I've been averaging about 19.5 mpg with my SXT AWD. I have done the calculations based on fill-up and it is very close to the trip computer's onboard reading. It read 19.7 when I calculated 19.5.

By resetting the mpg reading on different trips (same route - 40 miles to work), I have seen that at the same speeds (around 60 mph), I can get my Journey up to 23 mpg if I don't use cruise. Since it's a long fairly stright trip, I usually use cruise control for 90% of my ride, but I may try a week without cruise to see if it makes a big difference. My thought is that since my trip is very hilly, so the cruise control may not be regulating rpms as well as it should. Over the 40 mile ride, I go as high as 1650' and as low as 550'.

Has anybody else seen any difference with and without cruise control set?

I took a trip to california this weekend and My onboard calc and my personal calc came out very close. I had the cruise set on 75 the entire trip and I ended up at 22.5mpg and my calculations were 22.1. I purposely didn't reset my onboard calc just to see what it would do. It wasn't very accurate the first part of the trip cause it was adjusting calculations from my in city driving usually around 16mpg. But by the end of my trip it leveled off and was almost spot on as you can see

I just returned from my first road trip on Sunday night and I checked my gas miliage but it is in metric so here are my figures and someone else can figure them out. I drove 360 Km after topping of the tank and it took 39 Liters of Reg Gas to top it off again. I stopped pumping gas when it clicked off but it was a a different gas station but same company (Petro Canada). My Journey is 3.5L AWD with 2,000 Km on the clock. My speed was 118 Km (GPS Set) per hour on cruise for 95% of the time. I am impressed since the engine is not broken in yet. My meter reads about 2 Km higher than GPS Speed.

BYE THE WAY "WARNING" Do not let your daughter or son who is a new Police Officer with several Police Driving Courses take your new Journey for a test ride! Just after I opened my eyes she told me the traction control and AWD work fine as does the ABS Brakes.

Keith

I just returned from my first road trip on Sunday night and I checked my gas miliage but it is in metric so here are my figures and someone else can figure them out. I drove 360 Km after topping of the tank and it took 39 Liters of Reg Gas to top it off again. I stopped pumping gas when it clicked off but it was a a different gas station but same company (Petro Canada). My Journey is 3.5L AWD with 2,000 Km on the clock. My speed was 118 Km (GPS Set) per hour on cruise for 95% of the time. I am impressed since the engine is not broken in yet. My meter reads about 2 Km higher than GPS Speed.

BYE THE WAY "WARNING" Do not let your daughter or son who is a new Police Officer with several Police Driving Courses take your new Journey for a test ride! Just after I opened my eyes she told me the traction control and AWD work fine as does the ABS Brakes.

Keith

Given those figures, you averaged 21.7 MPG. Not bad for averaging 73MPH.

Don't worry, the Journey scored well in the rollover test. :-)

So what are some of you all getting on Road trips in your new rides?

Hwy speeds in STL vary from 60-70mph in the area.

We've only taken one highway trip, that on the first weekend we owned the Journey, and I noticed that as we drove farther along on Sunday evening on our way home, the MPG as displayed on the trip computer improved to above 22. Last time I checked in all city driving it's around 17. But we're not really broken in yet either, still less than 1000 miles driven.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that going between 95km/h to 115km/hr or about 55 to 64 mph we get fairly good mileage. today we went as low as 8.5l/100k which according to the new car sticker is 33mpg. it averages about 13l/11k in the city.

We have a FWD RT with 19 inch wheels and everything except nav/dvd system on it.

The one issue I have is that at around 90k/h or I think 55mph roughly it seems to be the point where the auto transmission shifts. We have a local highway that has a speed limit of 90k and unless you meet or exceed it slightly it shifts up and down with enough of a force to notice.

So far it has lived up to the claims re gas consumption.

The Stewie

I find that going between 95km/h to 115km/hr or about 55 to 64 mph we get fairly good mileage. today we went as low as 8.5l/100k which according to the new car sticker is 33mpg. it averages about 13l/11k in the city.

We have a FWD RT with 19 inch wheels and everything except nav/dvd system on it.

The one issue I have is that at around 90k/h or I think 55mph roughly it seems to be the point where the auto transmission shifts. We have a local highway that has a speed limit of 90k and unless you meet or exceed it slightly it shifts up and down with enough of a force to notice.

So far it has lived up to the claims re gas consumption.

The Stewie

Did the math and that works out to about 27.6MPG. That's still really impressive if you're doing that well with the 3.5L

I agree though, the shift point for 6th gear seems to be between 50-55mph (80-90kph). I like to stay above that speed at ~60mph (100kph), conditions permitting, so that the transmission isn't dropping down into 5th all the time.