Hwy MPG

Stewie, if it shifts in and out of 5th and then 6th and back to 5th, use the autostick and keep it in 5th. It may use less gas than switching back and forth.

In 5th the revs are a little higher and the engine does not work as hard but when it shifts to 6th you lug the engine (work it harder to keep the speed up) and use more fuel(too high of a gear) when it shifts back to 5th the engine picks up the revs and has more power to keep up to speed (less work as the engine does not labor to keep speed).

In laymamns terms, picture yourself on an old 10 speed bike and remember pedalling up a hill in 6th gear, yup, pretty tough and tiring. Now shift it down to 5th and it gets easier and not so hard on the legs (or heart/engine :hysterical: ) engines and tranny's work the same way.

The above is not to be-little anyone it just an analogy of what happens.

If I were you, and I had to drive at 90KM/H and the tranny was hunting back and forth, use the autostick and leave it in 5th. You could also reset the fuel mieage computer and just see what you get for MPG with this senario and then do the same with the tranny shifting back and forth, I think you may be surprised

actually spelling is blamed on the amount of beer consumed :hysterical:

Rob

On my Journey (R/T with 6cyl & everything except DVD players & only 2 rows of seats) I have been getting the following:

Averaging 21.3 MPG over the first 1000 miles (based on computer)... But calculations from gas purchased shows me getting 21.7 (slightly higher than computer). This is based on driving mostly highway (76 mile round trip commutes 3 days a week with the rest being 'city' driving)...

I found that my 'best' mileage was/is at highway speed of 60mph with it it 6th gear - 25mpg - with same speed in 5th gear it drops to 21mpg for me - quite a difference...

I 'trained' my transmission to shift at lower points (you do so by drinving non-aggressively AND backing off on the accelorator when the RPM's hit about 2500 - so that it shifts then --- keep it up for about 50-100 miles and your transmission will 'learn' to shift at lower RPMs for you - but remember, if you switch driving techniques again, it will change to accomodate) - shifting at lower points helps get better mileage in most cases...

I also found that when it tells me I am 'low' on fuel, and I go to fill up, it usually only takes 17 gallons... Has anyone tried running it to empty yet to see if it in fact goes through 20 gallons? I will try to do so in the future, to find out, but not if someone else already has...

I also found that when it tells me I am 'low' on fuel, and I go to fill up, it usually only takes 17 gallons... Has anyone tried running it to empty yet to see if it in fact goes through 20 gallons? I will try to do so in the future, to find out, but not if someone else already has...

See this thread http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php...pic=281&hl=

Stewie, if it shifts in and out of 5th and then 6th and back to 5th, use the autostick and keep it in 5th. It may use less gas than switching back and forth.

In 5th the revs are a little higher and the engine does not work as hard but when it shifts to 6th you lug the engine (work it harder to keep the speed up) and use more fuel(too high of a gear) when it shifts back to 5th the engine picks up the revs and has more power to keep up to speed (less work as the engine does not labor to keep speed).

In laymamns terms, picture yourself on an old 10 speed bike and remember pedalling up a hill in 6th gear, yup, pretty tough and tiring. Now shift it down to 5th and it gets easier and not so hard on the legs (or heart/engine :hysterical: ) engines and tranny's work the same way.

The above is not to be-little anyone it just an analogy of what happens.

If I were you, and I had to drive at 90KM/H and the tranny was hunting back and forth, use the autostick and leave it in 5th. You could also reset the fuel mieage computer and just see what you get for MPG with this senario and then do the same with the tranny shifting back and forth, I think you may be surprised

actually spelling is blamed on the amount of beer consumed :hysterical:

Rob

I will try that with the auto stick to see what happens. I'm a bit leery playing with it and screwing up the tranny but it is worth trying since it is shifting back and forth between the two gears.

Thanks,

TheStewie

Add me to the 21 MPG club highway. Just took put about 1000 miles on the Journey over the last week. Drove from CT to OH and then once in Columbus, OH, I drove up to Cleveland 2 times. I'm calculating MPG based on Gallons used/miles driven. I'm averaging 70 to 75 MPH using cruise control.

On a sad note, back up in CT during city driving, I was averaging 13.5 MPG. Lots of hills and lots of stop and go.

:(

Xphyle

Thanks for posting I was checking the US Gov EPA website www.fueleconomy.gov to see what owners were posting for actual MPG but no one has posted anything. For some reason probably weight Chrysler has bad gas mileage but I love their engineering and design so I will probably get a Journey.

Others I am looking at Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we're ending up in the 20 - 21.5 range with the 3.5L with daily driving. We took a 190 mile trip that was almost exclusively expressway with speeds between 55 and 70 mph (lots of construction zone speed limits). Somehow we ended up with 29 MPG on that trip (that's figuring from pump fills), the computer read 25.6 MPG on that trip. I still think it's an abberation of some sorts, as I haven't been able to get anything close to that under similar conditions.

Any 4 cylinder Journey take a mostly highway trip? The first tank of mixed driving yielded an unimpressive 20.78 mpg Allthough the engine is not broken in it's still pretty bad. Me and my wife drive pretty slow also.

Around town I get between 20-22. On my two long distance trips I got 24-26. This all from my own calculations, not the computer calculating.

From Indianapolis to Wisconsin Dells... the vehicle was loaded including luggage on the luggage rack. Highway speed on cruise at 68MPH I got 22.2 MPG.

The one time I had mine "loaded down" I got around 15mpg in the city. That was delivering phonebooks for some extra cash, and I will not be doing that again anytime soon.

Just got back from a trip to Cape Cod from Ontario.

AVG'd approx 24mpg with all 5 seats full (4 adults, 1 toddler) and the cargo area so full i couldnt see out the back. This was with cruise set between 65-72 mph. (6 cyl SXT)

I have to say the journey performed amazing on the trip. Very comfortable ride for being 8 hrs each way.

I have yet to find a speed in which I can get above the 25mpg range though. Just cracked 7300km though so engine isnt broken in yet...

We just rreturned from a 2200 KM round trip and I am fairly happy to say we averaged 10.45L/ 100Km(calculated at the pump). The computer was quite optimistic, telling me I was averaging 9.2L/100KM. Still I am pleased with a fully loaded down vehicle with lots of hills at an average speed of 72MPH. It still only has 3300KM on it, so hopefully it should improve. Oh its a AWD SXT with the 19's.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SXT FWD 3.5 engine using 87octane. Been on 2 road trips. 1st one IL to NC w/ 5 people and a loaded turtle shell on the luggage rack I averaged 23.7mpg. 70-75 mph most of the time. I did not use cruise! Cruise control will definitely take away some mileage, especially on hilly or mountainous roads. With cruise I probably would have been near 22mpg. 2nd road trip from IL to U.P. going through Chicago and Milwaukee I averaged 25.5mpg averaging 70mph (no turtle shell this time). I reset the mpg gauge at Green Bay. The 100+ mile leg from Green Bay to Iron Mountain I was able to get the gauge up to 27.8mpg averaging 50-55 mph and being light-footed on the gas peddle. I have also found the mpg gauge to be fairly accurate usually within 2/10 mpg. In town I will say I have averaged as low as 13.5mpg. That's with alot of idling and alot of stop and go. Normally average in town between 16-17 mpg.

SXT FWD

Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat

Flexible Seating Group

Convenience Group I

Safe and Sound Group

Rear Seat Video Group I

Fog Lights

Got my best tank so far 24mpg and there was a decent amount of stop and go in this tank and some nasty head wind.

Check out my gas logs.....

http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/2084

The mileage keeps getting better and better. Still under 2000 miles on the engine. I think as it's breaking in its just gets better. Im hoping to average 25-27 all the time by the time it hits 5000 miles. The first few tanks were pretty dissappointing though for a 4cyl