Washer Spray Issue

I recently picked up low-mileage (28K) 2018 and discovered that the front windshield washer was not doing much but dribbling out when activated.  I opened the hood to check connections and all are good.  While I had the hood open I also cleaned out the emitter orifices with a needle.  I left the hood propped open, got back in the vehicle and ran the washer and it sprayed like a champ.  Closed the hood and tried again and back to just a dribble.  To clarify, with the hood closed the emitter on the driver's side 'dribbles', the passenger side emits nothing.  The lines appear to be running along their proper route, so don't think anything is getting kinked when I close the hood.

Any suggestions?

Crap in the lines maybe. Flush out a bit before nozzle outlet. Check bottom of reservoir for grit.

Hood jets fragile and pricy, be careful.

How is hatch spray, normal. There are two pumps on system.

Edited by John/Horace

well if it works okay with the hood up BUT doesn't when the hood is closed then you have a restriction somewhere,, the journeys use the plastic little lines, mine was cracked on the drivers side at the rear of the hood by the hinge, I replaced most of my squirter lines with new rubber lines and the good thing is the rubber lines fit tight and just slide over the plastic lines so you don't need any clamps when splicing the rubber lines onto the plastic lines

On 4/25/2024 at 9:19 AM, MarkCee said:

I recently picked up low-mileage (28K) 2018 and discovered that the front windshield washer was not doing much but dribbling out when activated.  I opened the hood to check connections and all are good.  While I had the hood open I also cleaned out the emitter orifices with a needle.  I left the hood propped open, got back in the vehicle and ran the washer and it sprayed like a champ.  Closed the hood and tried again and back to just a dribble.  To clarify, with the hood closed the emitter on the driver's side 'dribbles', the passenger side emits nothing.  The lines appear to be running along their proper route, so don't think anything is getting kinked when I close the hood.

Any suggestions?

If spraying with hood open, LOOK on the drivers side at the hood pivot area. The washer line makes a 180* bend there to go into the hood spray nozzles. 

2 of my 3 DJ's had that area kink  and one was actually broken. I repaired with flexible hose with a little extra length so the original layout of this hard plastic line does not bend so sharply.

Also on my third DJ a  washer nozzle had a broken fitting for the supply hose to hook up to, This one had enough to reconnect  back and I used a mini tie strap to hold it on, just like using a hose clamp. This problem made both nozzles ineffective as they run on the same supply line through the hood.

Good Luck!

Edited by 5rebel9