Maintenance nightmare! PLEASE HELP!

hey guys, 

im currently at a huge loss and baffled by the current standing of my 2015 journey crossroad. 

i recently bought this unit in Sept/23 with 152000km . So far Ive had my transfer case split in half from the inside, leaking OCV seals and VVT seals all replaced at dealer and fluid changes. 

i decided it was probably time for Plugs, coil packs and injectors as well. these i didnt buy from dealer ( never had an issue before). changed all these parts plus gaskets, ended having to do almost every vacuum line and now im stuck with a P0172 code ( Bank 1 ) ( running rich ). 

i reverted back to my old injectors cause thinking the new ones may have been throwing too much fuel into the system. got everything back assembled and torqued down and the problem still persisted. decided to check my oil and it smells like 50:1 mixed fuel for lawnmower. gonna change that tomorrow. 

but do we have any ideas or thoughts on how i can cure this running rich issue ? cause im seriously baffled by this one. i do have access to code reader with Mode 6 and live data as well.

7 hours ago, Kdmartel said:

Figure almost 10 years ( 3900 hours) of running a fresh set wouldn't hurt 

well you didn't use oem and there are a lot of junk aftermarket parts being sold these days, but they shouldn't be your problem , from what you have wrote it would be something you did during the reassembly since you didn't infer a problem before doing this work 

Have to wonder if you have an intermittent connection on a connector you would have taken off to change injectors or plugs? A plug not firing would cause fuel to remain unburned.

Sometimes the alcohol content may run high and needs to be reset. That takes the correct equipment.

196000 miles and almost 7000 hrs on my 3.6 2013 bought new original coils and injectors- plugs have been changed 3x with OEM's at 50-100 and 150000 miles hard to beat OEM on these engines

1 hour ago, Summer Solstice said:

Have to wonder if you have an intermittent connection on a connector you would have taken off to change injectors or plugs? A plug not firing would cause fuel to remain unburned.

Sometimes the alcohol content may run high and needs to be reset. That takes the correct equipment.

Turn out it was the coil packs I ended up pulling them and noticed the amount of movement the spring contacts had with no permanent mounting to the head so I put my oems back on and went a got some NGK plugs to throw in, just throwing in the scanner and clearing some of the shit and firing it up hopefully last problem ! 

So we are back to OEM and the rich running persisted. Code is p0172 ( bank 1 ) starting to wonder it is MAP sensor or Bank 1 02 sensor 😕 everything runs stable till it starts to warm up then the fluctuating RPMs start to happen about 5-6 mins after starting. 

2 hours ago, larryl said:

196000 miles and almost 7000 hrs on my 3.6 2013 bought new original coils and injectors- plugs have been changed 3x with OEM's at 50-100 and 150000 miles hard to beat OEM on these engines

3.6 eng and 156 k on my 2014 as of now I had the plugs changed at the dealership at 100k and I had the service guy show me the old plugs and they still looked great condition

Edited by 2late4u

1 hour ago, Kdmartel said:

So we are back to OEM and the rich running persisted. Code is p0172 ( bank 1 ) starting to wonder it is MAP sensor or Bank 1 02 sensor 😕 everything runs stable till it starts to warm up then the fluctuating RPMs start to happen about 5-6 mins after starting. 

what eng do you have  2,4 or 3.6?

Wife has 249kms or 154k miles with original coils and injectors, on second plug set still, used NGK laser irredium ( largest plug manufacture, they own AC Delco etc).  Injectors seldom go, except on BMW X5 few others.

I like to go with hard codes for part changes. But yeah MAP or upstream O2 can cause rich running. Downstream are for confirming cats working, don’t affect fuel trim like upstream. Gas is expensive so I usually change them by 100k miles. 

I changed both upstream with NTK ( division of NGK who I think made the Mopar factory part, identical stamped  SS casing) when I was changing oil heat exchanger unit at 150kms.  I try to use oem when possible, especially on critical buried parts that are hard to get at.  But stuff often out of stock at crappy local dealer  and in Canada marked up 3-4 hundred percent over aftermarket.  Rockauto for Mopar is best, although Mopar Canada on line and picked up at dealer a week later gets 20% off usually. 

UPDATE: 

Ended up throwing in a new Throttle body as couldn't perform relearn on the old one to see if that solved my issue. Took for a drive ran great till my oil and coolant temps hit 96c & 106c then would throw P2112 & P2118 along with limp mode. 

To get it moving again I'd have to reset the PCM and disconnect and reconnect The new TB. 

So brought it to another local shop. He walked me thru the relearn then I got the journey back to those temps and sure as shit same codes popped back up. So we dived into to it together for bout 10 mins and got all other codes to clear except the P2112 ( etc unable to open - bank 1 ). 

Main causes for this code are electrical issues ( that was tested and in perfect condition ) and PCM malfunction/Failure so Monday get to take yet another day off and get a new PCM thrown in 👌

Sure it would be more expensive but in the long run I believe I would take it to a dodge dealership as they have more knowledge on these vehicles small shops are just guessing most of the time.good luck

8 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

Sure it would be more expensive but in the long run I believe I would take it to a dodge dealership as they have more knowledge on these vehicles small shops are just guessing most of the time.good luck

This guy works on a lot of journeys there was 4 others parked out front when I went to do the TB relearn and ya woulda been ALLLOOOT. more expensive cause he didn't charge me for the relearn or the further diag. Dealership wanted $200 just to diag prior to even doing a relearn which would have been another 190$ and then they'd wanna keep it to do the PCM which would be 1200$ and instead it's gonna cost me $350 

12 minutes ago, Kdmartel said:

This guy works on a lot of journeys there was 4 others parked out front when I went to do the TB relearn and ya woulda been ALLLOOOT. more expensive cause he didn't charge me for the relearn or the further diag. Dealership wanted $200 just to diag prior to even doing a relearn which would have been another 190$ and then they'd wanna keep it to do the PCM which would be 1200$ and instead it's gonna cost me $350 

and yet it still isn't fixed another lost day of work and throwing more parts at it,  just saying sometimes the ceap ends up costing more in the long run . not trying to argue hope everything turns out great for you,take care

I got the same error code. It would come and go. I tried replacing the intake manifold tuning valve. Problem went away for a few days. bought a (used) intake manifold (they don't manufacture them any longer for 09 SXT). Problem came back. What finally fixed it was replacing one of the injectors. I had the Dodge dealer do the last 2 fixes - thought they should understand their product better than the  masses online. What I do NOT understand is why they didn't offer to replace all injectors while they had it apart. Now, if/when it happens again, I'll start with the injectors.

I had no codes prior to start of this, injectors cause erratic fuel mixture causing my PCM to fry it self and fried my new throttle body so new PCM and new new throttle body and I'm golden now haven't had any issues since Monday when I had those done