2012 Dodge Journey stalls when the A/C is on

IvanG57

2012 Dodge Journey 2.4 Canada value package

This issue is intermittent. I first noticed the issue when the car was parked and the A/C was left on, after awhile the Journey would bog down a bit like it wanted to stall but it would then run normal again. Then I noticed when I'm driving for awhile with the A/C on when I would stop at a light or behind someone the Journey intermittently stalls. No check engine light comes on to check for a code and it starts right back up again after the stall. I went for a long drive in the city without the A/C on and everything ran normal without any stalls.

I decided to research what it could be and one post said it could be the AIC (air intake control) valve but with a 2012 Journey search it brought up the Throttle body could be the issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The 2.4 is a rather finicky motor.... particularly for SPARK PLUGS if they have not been replaced for at least 30k MILES {not sure the KM conversion}. This will lead to stalling when under additional engine load or at low speeds {like coming to a stop}. 

There are MANY posts on this forum about similar concern as you post.

as mentioned above do the plugs with oem brand ,the plugs are cheap around 15 -20 for all 4 of them, also i would run a couple of cans of  Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner  thur the system as well, also make sure the air cleaner is fairly new as well,,,

Thanks for both of the replies. I changed the spark plugs in February of 2021 but I'm not sure if I put more than 60 to 100km during this time. I can try to replace the spark plugs with the OEMs, last time I used NGKs and I'll try the the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner cleaner and I just cleaned the air filter and re-oiled it. 

I'll follow-up once this is completed.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, IvanG57 said:

Thanks for both of the replies. I changed the spark plugs in February of 2021 but I'm not sure if I put more than 60 to 100km during this time. I can try to replace the spark plugs with the OEMs, last time I used NGKs and I'll try the the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner cleaner and I just cleaned the air filter and re-oiled it. 

Thanks.

actually the ngk are the org oem plugs, dont use the iridiums ones, use the cheaper copper core ones as the are the best suited for the 2.4 eng   good luck and report back on your problem

1 hour ago, IvanG57 said:

Thanks.

Did this "stalling" start happening AFTER cleaning and re oiling the air filter??? PERHAPS too much oil in it and choking off air passage???

How many 100Kms on the odometer????

The bogging down and wanting to stall but not stalling while parked with the A/C happened before cleaning and re-oiling the air filter, but the stalling while driving with the A/C on happened after the re-oiling of the filter.

so i take it you have a K-N filter is it possible you re-oiled  it to much? i would probally clean everything down stream of the filter  and as you mentioned the throttle body being dirty or going bad....how many miles /km on the engine.........my daughter had the 2.4 in her jeep patriot that she used on her post office route and she sold it with 130k of route miles on it.other than plugs air filters and batteries no engine problems, now wheel bearings and a few other things not so great...LOL but the engine always ran great

Yes the previous owner modified the air filter and put in a cone shaped K-N filter and it is possible that I may have oiled it too much. I might purchase a new filter and make my way to the throttle body and make sure its clean or even replace it as well.

It has about 271k on it.

Question about the K&N filter. I was looking for a replacement as I noticed the one installed has some gashes in it and is rusty. The one installed is Height 130mm (5"), the bottom opening is 89mm (3.5") and the top opening is about 76mm (3").

The one I found is pretty much the same but the height is 103mm (4"). Would this cause any issues with the air intake?

wouldn't think so, to bad bad you cant go back to the oem one as it was a better set-up as it rec the air from the front grill like a cold ram air air set up , now your set up doesnty get the clod air only the air from around the inside of the engine compartment

Make sure your AC compressor is working with no noises, if your AC compressor have only one plug is a clutch-less compressor, mine after 120K miles seize and destroy the coupling to the pulley making loud noises (like a broken engine rod) and a bad compressor could stall the engine when idling.

Edited by luzmina

Update: After installing a new K&N filter I took it for a long drive where there was going to be stop and go traffic. It did bog down again like it wanted to stall with the A/C on but it didn't. Guess I will make my way down to the spark plugs, hoses and the throttle body.

Thanks I will double check the A/C but I haven't heard any loud noises when its running and I'll also scan for any codes to see if anything comes up.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The dealership did some work to this journey so I called and they confirmed the throttle body was recently replaced about a year and a half ago. They asked if it started or ran rough and I said its a Journey so yeah, but I did mention it started a bit rougher after the crankshaft position sensor was replaced. Looks like that sensor was replaced with an aftermarket and not the OEM which is recommended by another post to stick with the OEM. So they said it could be that giving off no code or something electrical. So I'm going to replace the sensor at some point this week. Would Mopar be the OEM part? Or can anyone point me in the right direction to find the OEM 0503307AC for a 2012 Dodge Journey 2.4 Canadian Value Package. I found this on the Mopar site but it says the 05033307AE replaces 0503307AC, Mopar

Edited by IvanG57

They often upgrade part numbers, common thing, yeah Mopar is oem. Several cdn on line sites with 15-25% off,  can also pick the ordered part at a dealer they specify. Better than paying full list if you just walk in.

https://parts.motorcitychrysler.ca/p/90959564/05033307AE.html

Or best on line site I have used, Rockauto who also sell the oem and use the part # you listed. Reasonable shipping as well. They can ship up north in days usually. Can find 5% discount code for their website as well on retail me not, etc. Extra small items usually won’t increase shipping cost.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2012,journey,2.4l+l4,1502335,ignition,crankshaft+position+sensor,7196

If the plugs have more than 60k kilometres, change them out for sure. Dump the k&n filter as well. Can get used plastic intake from wrecker if they chopped up plastic parts; not expensive.

Edited by John/Horace