Gas Mileage

I previously reported on my first 2000 miles, well, this past week I've had a road trip and just surpassed 3000 miles on the odometer.

One interesting thing I've realized is the drastic improvement in fuel economy by driving about 70mph. I previously drove compact 4cyl cars and never cared about fuel economy. Once you're over 32 mpg all the time you begin to lose track.

Anyway, I've made a couple seperate road trips, a few doing my normal 8-9 mph over the speed limit putting me around 78 and 79 mph. That gave me a fuel economy read out averaging about 20.5.

This past week I was stuck in some traffic and not able to break out, but I was able to set the cruise control at 70mph. I noticed that the avg fuel economy reading kept climbing. Once I was past 22 mpg I let it go the entire road trip, about 300 miles. I pegged it at 70mph, and when I reached my destination, the fuel economy read out was displaying 24.1 mpg.

Well, thats my two cents...I think 70 mph is a nice "sweet spot" for the journey in terms of fuel economy.

I got my Journey SXT on April 24 and drove it to the mountains of VA. On the way home with fewer than 400 miles on it, I averaged 24.7 MPG for the 225 mile trip. Not to shabby for a new, tight 3.5 V6.

So that's the mileage coming down the mountain, what did you get going up the mountain?

So that's the mileage coming down the mountain, what did you get going up the mountain?

I should have included that. I believe it was 19.1, but that was an average. I'm sure it went way down once we got into the heart of the mountains. Very steep and curvy roads so you are constantly climbing and accelerating out of turns. BTW, the AutoStick is SWEET in that situation!

• 2 months later...

As I wrote in my intro, w/my FWD 3.5 I was easily hitting 28 MPG on my last highway trip -- provided I held it in gear. Shifting of the gears with changing traffic condtions and going up and down hills will rob you blind! ..and yes, you get better MPG at slightly faster speeds... so vote no on 55MPH! - Phil

I am wondering what speed seems to be the most efficient or does it matter who is driving? I am averaging 18-20 mpg (US gallons) in cities and on highways. I usually drive my SXT 65-70 on highways but have never got much better mileage. I have just over 2500 miles on the Journey now. But you know, I really like to skip it up to 75-80 mph. The Journey seems to handle the road so well, much better than any vehicle I've ever owned ... so far. I was driving in the rain today and the road was wet ... but not dripping wet with puddles ... and the van and the tires owned the road. I felt like I was driving a bus. And my mileage was still going up even when I was driving at 80. I am getting a tank full of gas tomorrow and going to check my actual mileage.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am wondering what speed seems to be the most efficient or does it matter who is driving? I am averaging 18-20 mpg (US gallons) in cities and on highways. I usually drive my SXT 65-70 on highways but have never got much better mileage. I have just over 2500 miles on the Journey now. But you know, I really like to skip it up to 75-80 mph. The Journey seems to handle the road so well, much better than any vehicle I've ever owned ... so far. I was driving in the rain today and the road was wet ... but not dripping wet with puddles ... and the van and the tires owned the road. I felt like I was driving a bus. And my mileage was still going up even when I was driving at 80. I am getting a tank full of gas tomorrow and going to check my actual mileage.

I drive to work 3.5 miles and back and have the air blasting the whole time...I am getting a horrible 14 mpg doing that...very dissappointing. When I do finally get to take it on the road I am getting over 20.

Hey Booker T - if you use the car for this short distance - why didn´t you choose the 2,4 L4 ????

I drive the 2,4 MT (manual transmission) - but drive also few kilometers, mostly city. Will let you know as early as possible my consumpion with the MT. But it makes more fun than the automatic.

Or better take a bicycle - LOL

Don´t worry - be happy!!!!

Greetings

Horst from Germany

Greed,

Welcome to the forum. I've been reading your posts. I would love to see a picture of your gear shift. I'm interested to see how it fits in the console.

OK - tomorrow I load up a photo when we will have full daylight. But I think that it will look not dramatic different because it´s placed the same area as the DSG shift of the Journey 2.0 CRD Diesel from Volkswagen which is available also with a 6-speed manual transmission. The 2.4 MT has only the 5-speed MT available in Germany.

Is conversion from gasoline to LPG (liquid gas) so solution in the states?

Here in Germany and also in Europe really many fuel stations are selling LPG. It´s around 40-45% cheaper as gasoline, which is expensive with 1,41 Euro per liter at the moment.

I testdrove the 2.4 SE MT which had a underfloor tank behind the rear axle. So you still could have the +2 back seats or the underfloor cargo. If LPG is runned out the system changes automatically back to gasoline tank.

Costs for modification around 2500-2800 Euros.

Think my shift looks small different and I don´t like those professional photos - in real life it all looks diverse - even if it´s from a german homepage like this :D

So I will upload real life images soon.

Hi crh47,

as promised yesterday pls find below real image from the manual gear shift of my Journey SE 2.4 MT.

And, Sam, I was right when I told you not to believe all you see on internet pages. The image from the german Dodge page shows a shift with a ring below which is used by some manufacturers to unlock the access to the reverse gear.

Chrysler and Dodge MTs normally don´t have this. For example my small Renault Clio, which I drive only to office and back, has this kind of shift because reverse gear is beside the 1st gear. The Journey 2.4 MT has the reverse beside the 5th.

But now, if I think about it could be is that the Dodge image shows the 6-speed manual of the VW Diesel (which is also available with the 6-speed DSG AT) - so it would be logic to have the reverse beside the 1st gear. Then it is used this ring lock to avoid that you come into reverse, altough you want to use the 1st gear.

So, Sam, your information is perhaps not untrue - pls take my apologies for that.

If there´s something more of interest on german Journey versions - pls let me know.

No accidents, no problems, just a good time with your Journeys...

post-394-1223724079_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am driving Journey crd , FWD 6 speed manual transmission. I am doing 6,8liters/100 kilometers , that´s ca. 34 mpg , awerage.On highway 100kmh (62mph) 6 l/100km(39mpg), and my best now in winter , since we have this overall speed limit 80kmh (50mph), has been 5,5 l/100km (42mpg). Even 5.4 l/100km (43,5mpg), but by then I had my mother-in-law on board :rolleyes: . I usually drive +10kmh , and use my navigator as a speedometer , so GPS gives me accurate speed , and I use cruise control always when it is possible. For this size of a car, I think it's not bad fuel economy. But I must also say, that in a city it easily goes up to 7-7,5 l/100km (33,5-31mpg) with my driving style. I like this car , and it has been working just fine , now 10 000 km (6200 miles).Greetings from rainy southern Finland :shift: .

Hi crh47,

as promised yesterday pls find below real image from the manual gear shift of my Journey SE 2.4 MT.

And, Sam, I was right when I told you not to believe all you see on internet pages. The image from the german Dodge page shows a shift with a ring below which is used by some manufacturers to unlock the access to the reverse gear.

Chrysler and Dodge MTs normally don´t have this. For example my small Renault Clio, which I drive only to office and back, has this kind of shift because reverse gear is beside the 1st gear. The Journey 2.4 MT has the reverse beside the 5th.

But now, if I think about it could be is that the Dodge image shows the 6-speed manual of the VW Diesel (which is also available with the 6-speed DSG AT) - so it would be logic to have the reverse beside the 1st gear. Then it is used this ring lock to avoid that you come into reverse, altough you want to use the 1st gear.

So, Sam, your information is perhaps not untrue - pls take my apologies for that.

If there´s something more of interest on german Journey versions - pls let me know.

No accidents, no problems, just a good time with your Journeys...

post-394-1223724079_thumb.jpg

Thanks Greed

• 1 month later...

I have a 3.5 liter with the 6 speed automatic. FWD

I am here in California. So we only have 87, 89 and 91 Octain Fuel.

Recomended is 89, but we are allowed to use 87. (per the owners manual)

I was wondering, for anyone who has tried, if anyone has received better gas millage from one octain to the other?

I used 89 octain the first 3 fill ups averaging 18.6 MPG (mixed city and highway, also this is math based, not computer based)

Also my DTE has consistantly been arounf 359-363 at each fill up.

Last night i decided to try 87 octain. same brand (shell gas) as the 89, also same station. In the 30 miles i have driven i seem to be averaging 21mpg...Also my DTE when i filled up was 393 a 30 mile jump from 89.

No i have more extensive testing to do on MPG, but does anyone get better millage on 87 than 89?

Hi,

New to the Forum, and my Dodge Journey.

I have a 4cyl SE version with just under 1600 miles on it. I drive around 4000 a month (company car). My first tanks have averaged 20 mpg with 80% highway at 60-65 mph with few hills.

Is this the best I can expect? If it is, its horrible.

My last company car was the Magnum with the V6 and I got 22.7 average for 98,000 miles.

Thank you.