AWD is terrible

chadb1

Haha I am new too Journeys. My equinox has AWD in it and my girlfriend drives the limits year round. I had a dodge caliber and all i did was slide in it. i got the journey at the end of winter but being a new driver I never tested out the AWD from what you guys say this is going to be SWEET!!!! I love alberta winters :P btw I drove her equinox too work last winter and AWD is amazing on that and i work in the middle of no mans land

Sounds like the OP solved his own issue with "proper" winter tires. Maybe he has a REALLY steep driveway. In which case, nothing will beat a Subaru... it's what they do.

I clicked on this thread expecting to see a bitch-fest about how horrible everyone's experience has been with the DJ's AWD system. Sounds like every single other person here is very happy with their AWD DJ. :)

• Official Dodge Support

Haha I am new too Journeys. My equinox has AWD in it and my girlfriend drives the limits year round. I had a dodge caliber and all i did was slide in it. i got the journey at the end of winter but being a new driver I never tested out the AWD from what you guys say this is going to be SWEET!!!! I love alberta winters :P btw I drove her equinox too work last winter and AWD is amazing on that and i work in the middle of no mans land

Spiderwick,

Happy to see you love your DJ!

AWD is worth having given the AB winters, I don't have it in mine seeing as we don't get that much snow here in Windsor but Love have the 4-Auto in my Ram when we do get a heavy snowfall!

• 3 months later...

our winters are pretty mild compared to others.this year we have gotten a bit more snow.our driveway is about 4-5% steep,not bad but our prius couldnt make it up in 3" of snow.so after being stuck a few times said heck with the mpg of the prius and got the 2013 awd dj.so far we really like it,stock tires are fine here,the 7.3" of clearance also a plus.going to nw montana in july for a wedding,cant wait.the V-6 is also a plus.

AWD on my Journey is fantastic, I replaced a Subaru and this DJ w/all-weather tires is as good or better than the subie.. I truly don't miss it.

I'm impressed and I like that is not hyper-sensitive like in the AWD system in the Honda CRV. I can have fun before the AWD saves my bacon..

I'm happy with the AWD system in the DJ

AWD on my Journey is fantastic, I replaced a Subaru and this DJ w/all-weather tires is as good or better than the subie.. I truly don't miss it.

I'm impressed and I like that is not hyper-sensitive like in the AWD system in the Honda CRV. I can have fun before the AWD saves my bacon..

I'm happy with the AWD system in the DJ

I'm surprised you didn't like the AWD on the CR-V. I used to love its response and it always pulled through some pretty bad snow even with crappy tires. Don't get me wrong I still love my Journey more but I sure do miss the AWD.

• 10 months later...

I live in sunny Mexico. I never have seen any snow down here, but I am sure there is some somewhere. I have a rather steep concrete ramp up into the gate to my property on a narrow street. I have to turn as sharply left as I can to make it through the gate, and if I am driving north there is a slight uphill incline on the street. The Journey will just spin one front wheel, and never send any power the the rear wheels. Therefore I have to go around the block and come downhill and make a sharp right turn onto the driveway ramp, and it will barely make it that way. Maybe my AWD is not working at all. Is there a fuse or relay that I might check that controls the AWD? Are there any known problems that cause the AWD not to function at all.

On another subject, when I try to reverse uphill, the car will barely move, then lurch backwards. Nothing graceful about backing uphill out of a parking spot.

Thanks for any information you can share with me.

Jorge

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hmmmmmm.......... 2 inches is considered just a light dusting here.

Terry

That's the deep south, remember?? Heck, even here in NC, 2" is enough to call school off for a week, shut down the government and clean off the shelves at walmart of milk, bread and toilet paper..... :lol:

Edited by jkeaton

2" go by unnoticed. I roll my eyes at the Michigan natives winding up in ditches and continue on my merry way, even in my old RWD Charger.

Now 8+ in a RWD car with bald tires and 390 lb-ft torques... that got sketchy. Turned off traction control and let the engine sing the neighbors awake until it got moving. I'm anticipating fewer issues with the Journey. I've honestly never used anything but RWD and FWD in the past. Even when I took my dads 4x4 Tahoe out on an icy day in NJ over ten years ago, I didn't bother turning on 4x4 and let the rear wheels do the talking.