Rear struts don't last

mmp2012

I have a 2010 Journey that I bought in 2020 from an older lady with 60,000 kms. At 104,000 kms both rear struts blew out and I had them replaced. They blew again at 145,000 kms a year later and were replaced for free under warranty. I used this car purely for commuting and it never has any heavy loads in the trunk and no tow hitch. My hunch is that suspension setup in these cars is not actually built to withstand the weight of the vehicle. I know that this is on the same platform as the Avenger, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rear struts in my Journey are identical to the ones in the lighter Avenger. The fact that my commuter vehicle is on it's third set of struts with 145,000 kms is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, mmp2012 said:

I have a 2010 Journey that I bought in 2020 from an older lady with 60,000 kms. At 104,000 kms both rear struts blew out and I had them replaced. They blew again at 145,000 kms a year later and were replaced for free under warranty. I used this car purely for commuting and it never has any heavy loads in the trunk and no tow hitch. My hunch is that suspension setup in these cars is not actually built to withstand the weight of the vehicle. I know that this is on the same platform as the Avenger, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rear struts in my Journey are identical to the ones in the lighter Avenger. The fact that my commuter vehicle is on it's third set of struts with 145,000 kms is ridiculous.

well i put 70 k on my 2011 with no problems on the rear struts and now have a 2014 with 138k with no problems on the struts, mostly would depend on road conditions and how you drive it i guess, struts havent been a big problem discussed on this blog,,,also by the way on my 2014 i carry my wifes 3 wheel scooter which weighs around 250 lbs and havent had problems with the rear struts but I did have the upper rear links changed out with adjustable ones...welcome to the group by the way

Our 2014 has 231k kms and are still not bad.  In first two years 2009-2010 the Journey suspension was really fragile and brakes were under sized. Lots of links talking about it. It was fixed after that and seems to be a little better than average. Although the newer suspension design can develop a constant rattle from bushings that wear out, rear latteral links also wear early if you haul loads a lot.

Canada likes to sell Monroe after market struts; that are usually crap. Buy oem or KYB if possible.