2014 Dodge Journey windows fogging up

Jschader

I've found a lot of posts regarding this issue, but still haven't found one that led to the root cause. My 2014 Dodge Journeys windows fog up bad when the heater is on full blast during the winter months. I've replaced the cabin filter, verified two of the four actuators were working. The didn't check the ones that controlled individual sides, because I didn't think this coyld cause the problem bit could be wrong. That and it's a HUGE PITA to access these actuators unless you have very tiny hands and can contort yourself to reach the screws holding them on. My next step is to check the AC drain tube to see if it's clogged, but was hoping someone out there has a better idea of what's going on with this, and maybe had success at correcting their similar issues. AC compressor is working, hot air out of both sides, and when switched it blows down to your feet. Very frustrating, and unsafe to drive in the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome to the site. It’s the fresh air actuator on the passenger side, behind the hvac filter. They often randomly stick. With filter removed see what it’s doing. Every time car is turned off, it opens to vent the cabin so it cycles quite a bit. Once it’s freed up it will do that.

Last time I gave it a small poke with a screw driver and a small silicon spray afterwards.  Very hard to get at screws, will have to change eventually.  Sometimes it frees its self up after a few days. Annoying for sure.

Edited by John/Horace

Was not a problem on either of my DJ's. So, it is not common. I assume you are referring to the inside of the windshield or is it every inside window? Are they fogged up and the defrost does not work or when you turn the defrost on it fogs the windows? Another thing might be a leaking heater core if thats the case.

Leaking heater core would run coolant low, create smell in cabin, stain in parking spot. He hasn’t reported those issues.

Lots of posts of fogging issues, high milage older models normally. A/c in winter can’t cycle on enough to help clear windows, so outside air needed.

Pull hvac paper filter, look at fresh air actuator on right side;  probably will be stuck closed and won’t move when defrost selected.  Free it up or change it. Or hope it frees itself up, which someone else on forum has mentioned often happens. 

Edited by John/Horace

On 2/1/2023 at 7:23 AM, jkeaton said:

Was not a problem on either of my DJ's. So, it is not common. I assume you are referring to the inside of the windshield or is it every inside window? Are they fogged up and the defrost does not work or when you turn the defrost on it fogs the windows? Another thing might be a leaking heater core if thats the case.

Pretty much every window in the vehicle. Defrost doesn't help much. It's my wife's car and she said she has to drive with the windows down a couple inches to help with the fogging, but obviously in the winter time it's not a good option. If the heater core was leaking wouldn't you smell coolant? I read on one post that the AC drain tube was clogged on a DJ, and he broke the clog loose which helped his situation with fogging. I was going to try that next , but it's been in the low teens lately so I haven't been too motivated to try this yet. I believe she said they fog up when the heater is turned on full blast. 

Again, behind the glovebox remove the cabin filter.That actuator is the one that does the fresh air or recirculate function.The fact that cracking the windows open helps means that it is stuck in recirculate mode.You can remove the power from that actuator and with your hand flip the vent to the fresh air position.That will solve that problem.Reinstall the cabin filter .I  never use recirculate anyway but I did replace the actuator.Sometimes that is not even necessary as the old actuators will start to work again. 

1 hour ago, yyz said:

Again, behind the glovebox remove the cabin filter.That actuator is the one that does the fresh air or recirculate function.The fact that cracking the windows open helps means that it is stuck in recirculate mode.You can remove the power from that actuator and with your hand flip the vent to the fresh air position.That will solve that problem.Reinstall the cabin filter .I  never use recirculate anyway but I did replace the actuator.Sometimes that is not even necessary as the old actuators will start to work again. 

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks. 

On 2/1/2023 at 11:04 AM, John/Horace said:

Leaking heater core would run coolant low, create smell in cabin, stain in parking spot. He hasn’t reported those issues.

Lots of posts of fogging issues, high milage older models normally. A/c in winter can’t cycle on enough to help clear windows, so outside air needed.

Pull hvac paper filter, look at fresh air actuator on right side;  probably will be stuck closed and won’t move when defrost selected.  Free it up or change it. Or hope it frees itself up, which someone else on forum has mentioned often 

Really appreciate the feedback guys. It's nice to be part of a forum that offers up good suggestions without negative comments. I have a few things to try this weekend from your replies. Looking for as much help as I can get in tracking this issue down.