2015 Journey won't start, warning lights and hard brake pedal

Rwh221

Hey everyone. I have a 2015 jour and Im in a real mess lol I went to the store around 2pm today and everything was fine. About 6pm I wanted to run to the store again but when I got in I noticed the brake pedal was hard and it couldn't be pressed down on at all. Tried to start it and all the lights flash on the dash. It sounds like I can hear the starter solenoid engage but thats it. Now I've gotten multiple different messages on the screen. A couple times it said car not in park (which it was) then I got one that said ignition or accessory on. I also noticed the lightning bolt light came on and the worst one is the engine light starts to flash. I read what that means from the manual. I tried some anti theft override by pressing the ignition 5 times etc.but nothing happens, same thing. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but wanted to get any opinions before I go to the mechanic tomorrow.  Thanks everyone. 

How long have you owned this DJ and what level of standard MAINTAINENCE have you given it along with what size motor(4 or 6 cylinder)?

Sounds like corroded(dirty) battery cable to positive of battery connection. YES these need to be gotten at (rather hard for a novice DIYer) but either that or an old and dying battery MAY be a strong possibility to your problem.

Hi, thanks for replying. I bought it November 2021 and changed the oil about 2000 miles ago. I only drive about 10 miles a day to work or the store. It has 104,000 miles on it. It's the 6 cylinder. I'm hoping to get a good trade in after the loan is paid off so I've been treating this thing like gold. Even the carpet and interior are immaculate lol I'm really hoping it's a battery or something but that flashing check engine light has me freaking out. Do you know if that light would come on with a bad battery or electrical problem? And would the brake pedal be hard like it is? Sorry to ask you so many questions. Thanks again

Edit: I just went out to try again. I tried it about 4 times and only the second time did the check engine light flash. The other 3 it just came on. 

Edited by Rwh221

so are you saying it started the other 3 times ,,sounds like a new battery is in your future,,if so MAKE sure you get the right group size battery  if you can get it started take it to your local parts store and let them do a load check on the battery and also have them check the alt to see if it is putting out the correct charge

Edited by 2late4u

No, im sorry I wasn't clear. It didn't start at all any of the tries, its just that after pressing the button to start it the check engine light came on but only one of the times it flashed. The other 3 times it just came on and stayed on.

10 hours ago, Rwh221 said:

Hi, thanks for replying. I bought it November 2021 and changed the oil about 2000 miles ago. I only drive about 10 miles a day to work or the store. It has 104,000 miles on it. It's the 6 cylinder. I'm hoping to get a good trade in after the loan is paid off so I've been treating this thing like gold. Even the carpet and interior are immaculate lol I'm really hoping it's a battery or something but that flashing check engine light has me freaking out. Do you know if that light would come on with a bad battery or electrical problem? And would the brake pedal be hard like it is? Sorry to ask you so many questions. Thanks again

Edit: I just went out to try again. I tried it about 4 times and only the second time did the check engine light flash. The other 3 it just came on. 

Most likely there is insulating (corrosion) on the battery B+ terminal to B+ (RED) cable connection OR you have a dying battery.  Poor  connections from COMMON lack of clean cable to battery connections will do mighty strange things to these cars!

I really hope your right, I just had it towed. That hard brake pedal has me worried. I did notice when I had it in the run position I got out and opened the trunk and noticed all the interior dome lights flashing rapidly. I really hope that's the problem because any repairs over a couple hundred dollars is going to screw me. Thanks for replying. 

You know yesterday I think I left the one of the overhead interior light on for about 4 hours, but I didn't think that would be enough to kill the battery. 

3 hours ago, Rwh221 said:

I really hope your right, I just had it towed. That hard brake pedal has me worried. I did notice when I had it in the run position I got out and opened the trunk and noticed all the interior dome lights flashing rapidly. I really hope that's the problem because any repairs over a couple hundred dollars is going to screw me. Thanks for replying. 

You know yesterday I think I left the one of the overhead interior light on for about 4 hours, but I didn't think that would be enough to kill the battery. 

it would depend on the age of the battery,all new cars have so many chips and electrical draws on them today, they need a good strong battery i replace mine every 3 yrs usually, i just dont like to get stranded,,,,,I am surprised the towing service didn't try to jump start it first before towing it????also be aware that only the power outlet in the front cubby hole is the only one that shuts the power draw off when the ign is off,,the other power outlets stay on and can run the battery down if you have something plugged into them

Edited by 2late4u

On 12/6/2022 at 7:24 AM, Rwh221 said:

I really hope your right, I just had it towed.

This all sounds like a battery, but did you try to have it jumped before they towed it? If jumping it worked then that would answer a lot and give you an opportunity to drive it to get the battery tested - usually for free. The hard brake pedal happens and should not really be a concern. I hope you went with the tow truck to make sure they stay with checking the battery(?).