Can Anyone Identify This Wire

My son has a 2010 Dodge Journey with a 2.4l. He was having problems with starter and got it replaced. The problem comes back after about a month. We find out that it’s the signal wire connector that is bad. He brings it out to me and I replace the connector. 

The next day, he’s driving home and the battery light comes on. He drives for a few more minutes and all the dash lights come on and the car shuts down. Sounds like an alternator to me. I pull the alternator and take it to the parts store. Guy runs a bench test 3 times and it passes with flying colors each time. Must be the battery then. I pull the battery and take it to the parts store. The battery is less than a year old. It too passes with flying colors. 

That night, my girlfriend and I were talking about it and she says that something might be interfering with a ground. A light bulb goes off in my head. I remember putting a connector on to a bolt with a rubber bushing. At the time, I remember thinking that it didn’t look right, but it had marks like it fit there, and I couldn’t find anywhere else where it would go. I also may have been a little stressed when I did this job and couldn’t remember where I took that connector off from. 

Can anyone identify this wire and connector and point me in the right direction? It’s starting to snow and I want my garage back. 

7AFB7B64-2890-481F-AE71-A15B9BDE6746.jpeg

D6024BD9-C49F-4191-90F4-ECC09FB448C4.jpeg

D48DEE41-B65E-4391-9EF0-92973AEE6FF5.jpeg

so the one end is connected to the starter?   more folks will jump in but if not run by your local dealership they should be able to answer your question ,or you could find another journey and check it out,hope you find out your solution please report back on what you find out

By the pictures, that is a fusible link wire. These are NEVER used as a ground wire, it is used as a positive wire connection, and most likely is fastened to the positive heavy wire stud on the starter solenoid.

Don't have a 2.4 model to look at of my own to say DEFINITIVLY.

Edited by 5rebel9

On 11/15/2022 at 10:35 PM, 5rebel9 said:

By the pictures, that is a fusible link wire. These are NEVER used as a ground wire, it is used as a positive wire connection, and most likely is fastened to the positive heavy wire stud on the starter solenoid.

Don't have a 2.4 model to look at of my own to say DEFINITIVLY.

I stopped by the dealership yesterday and they said that it’s a power cable. I think that I have it right. I have everything back together except for the alternator. Thanks for the help. 

Make sure the alt small trigger wire has full battery voltage when car is running. Alt field windings need small amperage 12 volt feed in order to make the big 160 amp output for the whole car. Bad or dirty connector on harness could crest this problem, alt would also test good on the parts store bench unit.

Smart electronics  voltage regulator can also be flaky or intermittent. Our Journey alt was ok for first 10 mins driving and then dropped to 10 volts when warmed up. Just over 100k miles.