TPM who has the longest before replacement

2late4u

So we had a cold spell, almost got down to to 40 degrees, and my low tire light come on, so i fired up the air compressor and top them all off to 36 psi most were around 31-32 excet left front tire it was at 28 so I got to checking and yep found me a screw right around the inside tread wall,good thing i bought the tire warranty from discount tire so will be off to see them next week..but got me to wondering i have 133.5 k on the clock and its a  2014, so has anyone had to replace a TPM sensor in the wheel yet due to a low battery?

googled this on the lifespan of the TPM battery..........

1. TPMS Sensor Battery Replacement - My Vehicle Tires

myvehicletires.com/tpms-sensor-battery-replacement

The estimated life expectancy of an OE TPMS sensor is 5 to 12 years, with the average lifespan being 7 years. TPMS life expectancy is directly related to the number of radiofrequency transmissions the sensors make. Driving habits greatly influence the number of RF transmissions a sensor makes in its lifetime. How Best Do I Preserve My TPMS Battery?

Not much one can do to make them last indefinitely. When they go,they go. With the extreme we have(by your geo. climate), I've replaced all 4 for my son's Snow Tire set of wheels and 2 on his summer set. I don't know the maint. histories of either of our Journeys, as we got them used and from out of the area. BUT I can say there is NO harm when one "drops out" other than an annoying EVIC message.

But if you are paying someone to take tire off rim for pull through patch and then rebalance the tire.

Would be good opportunity to swap out the tpms sensor if you think it’s about to die.

Its a sealed unit with a one time use lithium battery, don’t think you can measure battery voltage to assess how much longer it will last.

If tire is more than half worn and only has a year or two left, probably not worth new sensor now.   Wait for new tire install. My 2 cents.

7 hours ago, John/Horace said:

But if you are paying someone to take tire off rim for pull through patch and then rebalance the tire.

Would be good opportunity to swap out the tpms sensor if you think it’s about to die.

Its a sealed unit with a one time use lithium battery, don’t think you can measure battery voltage to assess how much longer it will last.

If tire is more than half worn and only has a year or two left, probably not worth new sensor now.   Wait for new tire install. My 2 cents.

My "sentiments" exactly, Depending on known history of vehicle (had since new) . I would expect a good 7 to 8 years life span of them.

I only buy well used vehicles usually 10 years old and mostly needing tires anyway, so when I do get new tires I have new sensors put in on all 4.

Set of four can be bought cheaper from parts sites than individual sensors, another factor. 

TPMS sensors one of the few useful government mandated policies. Helps fuel economy and tire wear, keeping correct inflation. 

Edited by John/Horace

20 minutes ago, larryl said:

Ebay is your friend go OEM

i am not needing any tpms, i was just wondering who actually has had to replace any and at how many yrs they got out of the OEM ones.   i dont buy anything off ebay i just dont trust the quality and possibly counterfeit parts, yes i know i will pay a bit more locally but if i have problems at least it is easier to get the $$ back and or quicker to get the right parts .my daughter and her husband had some problems with some stuff they bought off ebay mostly was able to get it straightened out but they did get stuck one time with no satisfaction

• 2 weeks later...

2012 R/T 112K miles - Drove car Monday morning and after about 5 miles, Service Tire Pressure System came on and Right Front tire had 3 dashes, other 3 showed pressure and outside temp was in 30'sF. Monday afternoon, after about 1 min of driving, pressure indication returned and warning light went out. Tuesday, same exact scenario and same times,. Took car to Firestone Wed and had no issues, everything was working. With Car being 10 years old, replaced tires maybe 5 years ago but do not know if Sears replaced sensors, had them go ahead and replace all the sensors. Driving this morning, 57F degrees and at same location, warning came on again. However this time is is Left Back tire with the dashes. I have lifetime alignment and rotation with Firestone so I am going to call them back this morning and find out if and how they rotated the tires.

No where near a mechanic, just looking for some answers so I am not taken advantage of at Firestone. Thanks to anyone who responds and will update when solution is made.

5 minutes ago, PerryG said:

2012 R/T 112K miles - Drove car Monday morning and after about 5 miles, Service Tire Pressure System came on and Right Front tire had 3 dashes, other 3 showed pressure and outside temp was in 30'sF. Monday afternoon, after about 1 min of driving, pressure indication returned and warning light went out. Tuesday, same exact scenario and same times,. Took car to Firestone Wed and had no issues, everything was working. With Car being 10 years old, replaced tires maybe 5 years ago but do not know if Sears replaced sensors, had them go ahead and replace all the sensors. Driving this morning, 57F degrees and at same location, warning came on again. However this time is is Left Back tire with the dashes. I have lifetime alignment and rotation with Firestone so I am going to call them back this morning and find out if and how they rotated the tires.

No where near a mechanic, just looking for some answers so I am not taken advantage of at Firestone. Thanks to anyone who responds and will update when solution is made.

Did you look at your bill/receipt? TPM sensors can cost about $50.00 each installed. IF they replaced them then you should have had a good size bill. YES what you speak of of  a position dropping out and coming back IS a sign of a "dying" sensor, and all the shop did was a tire rotation. 

Invoice shows TPMS RESET TIRE REPLACE/REPAIR/ROTAT , TPMS SENSOR & BALANCE LABOR and 33500 33500 DB EZ-SENSOR  with 4 in the qty. Yes the bill was a good size.

The warning sign (Yellow Exclamation Point) blinks, not sure of the time and stops but I had all 4 sensors replaced yesterday.

I called Firestone this morning and taking car back to them. Just afraid it will be one of those things that when I leave work today, it will start working and when they check it there will be no problems.

5 minutes ago, PerryG said:

Invoice shows TPMS RESET TIRE REPLACE/REPAIR/ROTAT , TPMS SENSOR & BALANCE LABOR and 33500 33500 DB EZ-SENSOR  with 4 in the qty. Yes the bill was a good size.

The warning sign (Yellow Exclamation Point) blinks, not sure of the time and stops but I had all 4 sensors replaced yesterday.

I called Firestone this morning and taking car back to them. Just afraid it will be one of those things that when I leave work today, it will start working and when they check it there will be no problems.

Thanks for clarifying the invoice. YES at this point it sounds to be a defective NEW sensor being it is acting up in a different wheel position.

Let us know how things work out for you.   ;)

Went to Firestone and they went around the car with a loader. He put it directly on the tire valve stem cap, and I could see the status bar moving. He said I need to drive it over 50mph for 20 min. I asked if it could wait until tomorrow morning when I go to work...didnt want to go for a 20 min drive after work. Will update in the morning after the drive. Right now still have warning light on, 3 dashes on left back tire and message to service tire pressure system.

Didn't you do that the other day when you had the work done? YES his direction is proper for doing with new sensors. SOMETIMES they "set" pretty quickly in speed/distance and other times they may need the max time(50mph/20 min straight driving) to pair in with the TPMS system.

Firestone said they did it Thursday but guess back left did not take or it dropped since it worked for about 15 min. Driving down main road this morning, it took about 2 miles to finally register. As of this time, warning light is off and all four tires showing pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

As to how long they last, we have a 2009 Journey, purchased in Dec. 2010.  105,400 miles on the odometer, never replaced them since we purchased the car. (I doubt if they had been replaced prior to that, either, as the car only had 24,000 plus change on the clock then.)

Actually, it is now for sale.  My wife said it was time to upgrade.  (I have mentioned some issues we had with it that put it in the shop for extended period this Summer - all fixed except that the Traction Control light is still on.  Mechanic couldn't find the issue.)

29 minutes ago, larryl said:

My TPM Module failed no reading from the left rear.... going to try a scrap yard replacement 176000 miles

Interesting conclusion about TPMS MODULE, care to share how you came to such a decision? Did you have the LR tire sensor tested? Also could be a bad wire from the receiver for that corner to the module.

50 minutes ago, larryl said:

Tried two working sensors..hoping its not a bad wire but I guess it could be.

NEW or used and unpaired to your vehicle?

I just find it curious for TPMS to fail other than the sensors themselves. 

IF I have just one position that drops out as you post of, I rotate that wheel to a different spot and see if the drop out goes to the new position. Then I know it's a bad sensor.

Also have to drive at speed and some distance for sensors to "pair up" and start reading.

Just trying to be sure of you following good diagnostic processes to track down the problem, rather than "shotgun" parts.

Edited by 5rebel9

I just had a sensor go dead on our 2014 Journey rt with around 140k miles. My  2009 F150 went through quite a few sensors.

The Dodge system is not annoying as the Ford with bad sensors.

Some sensors are pre programmed and are plug and play after a bit of driving. Others have to be paired with a TPMS programming tool to the vehicle. Tire shops can do this after install. 

I paid Dodge for a supposedly pre programmed TPMS sensor for daughter in laws 2012 Journey two years ago. Her other  tires will  still work in that location.  New sensor would  never show a reading, going to go after market on Rockauto this time. Neighbor has a TPMS programmer, hoping not to need it.