2012 Journey 3.6

JustDodge

I have a 2012 3.6 Journey. I got it almost two weeks ago and I’ve noticed that the engine temp constantly rises above normal. It’ll go back and forth between the 2nd-3rd dash past normal and the fan constantly cuts on. I can be sitting and temp will rise and fan will cut on. It’ll stay on for about 30 seconds then temp would go down and would cut back on seconds later. What could cause this? I am supposed to take it back to the dealer because the engine light is on due to it needing a new oil pressure sensor but not sure if those issues are related.  

I've owned a few of these 3.6 engines in different vehicles and it's not uncommon for the temperature needle to go a little above half during the summer with the A/C running.  Look at the actual temperature that is being reported in the display menu.  I don't think I've ever seen mine go above 230 degrees, even climbing mountains.  If yours is going higher than that, perhaps it's time for a new thermostat or possibly a temperature sensor.

11 hours ago, tsteves5 said:

I've owned a few of these 3.6 engines in different vehicles and it's not uncommon for the temperature needle to go a little above half during the summer with the A/C running.  Look at the actual temperature that is being reported in the display menu.  I don't think I've ever seen mine go above 230 degrees, even climbing mountains.  If yours is going higher than that, perhaps it's time for a new thermostat or possibly a temperature sensor.

But we have two of the same vehicles with the same engine. Only experience this issue with one, they’re both driven on a daily basis in the same temp weather. So it’s just odd and confusing to me why one acts differently. It’s always above normal so you just constantly hear the fan on. I can literally start it up in the morning the car would warm up and kick on the fan…

11 hours ago, JustDodge said:

But we have two of the same vehicles with the same engine. Only experience this issue with one, they’re both driven on a daily basis in the same temp weather. So it’s just odd and confusing to me why one acts differently. It’s always above normal so you just constantly hear the fan on. I can literally start it up in the morning the car would warm up and kick on the fan…

so are you saying as soon as you start it the fan kicks on or after it reaches operating temp of 195-205 after it warms up to those temps and then just a bit more yes the fan should kick on but not till its gets up to the 205-215 range ..... also quit looking at the dash marks and go by the actual temp readings , as we are not sure what you are looking at....and No the two different problems are not related, i hope the dealership is covering the cost of replacing the oil sensor as that can be a high dollar repair around 400-500 due to its inability to reach it the easy way,,,but there are videos on the internet showing if you have the right tools and knowledge and can work on it without actually seeing it, it's not to of  bad of a reair ,of course the dealerships goes by the book and that is the expensive way of course