Journey SXT AWD with dual Cherry Bombs and tips

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

So not sure if doing exhaust reduced fuel economy or just enjoying it more and being more heavily footed but fuel is down to 10.5 mpg. But the giggle factor has definitely increased ? ? ? 

hate to ask but what was the before mpg ? i would assume that is all city driving with a lot of stop and go?

Winter gas is loaded with ethanol,  kills milage. Some engines need back pressure to run proper stoichiometric mix.

Any codes turning up.?  Less restriction should be more horse power with the right mix. 

Edited by John/Horace

The 3.6 in the Ram with 305 hp has different exhaust manifolds and injectors. It’s pretty peppy, my brother has one, but the pick up chassis is heavier than a Journey for sure. The 8 speed ZF transmission trumps the 6 speed journey unit by far.

I doubt you caught up completely, but there is probably more horse power and torque now.

From the JK Jeep forum about our v6 engine, good forum actually.

05-01-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP is not the spec I'm interested in for my JK... it's torque. The HP numbers are usually made in an RPM range you will never use (near red-line). Peak torque is usually in the derivable range. When designing/tuning an engine there is always a trade-off or HP to TQ. A longer duration cam profile will increase HP but decrease TQ. The same lift cam with a short duration will have low HP but better TQ. Back-pressure in the exhaust is also necessary for TQ. 

In my Jeep I could give a rats-butt about HP... I want Torque down-low for crawling. In a truck you need both the torque to get a load moving, but HP to keep it going on the highway and over grades. Cars are often tuned for HP and rely on gearing to aid in the lower TQ numbers. As mentioned earlier air-flow has impacts on both numbers too. Since the truck has more room for the exhaust, one would think it could be designed to flow more efficiently. 

Gasoline engines are not great torque makers when compared to diesel. This is why so many (self included) would love to see one in a JK.

I did more checking, this thing had me curious. I’ve driven a 305 hp ram and the 283 Journey.

It turns out the exhaust manifolds built into the cylinder heads are the same, so are injectors and throttle body intake.

The extra power is only from a tune it looks like.; and maybe less restrictive exhaust;  which you already have covered.  A low budget mod if you are interested. 

Edited by John/Horace

Yeah fuel is nuts up here too. . You are thinking custom tune. I was thinking generic performance boost …they send you a preloaded plug and play ecm. So many 3.6 on the road in Jeep’s and Chargers, there must be something around. Cost, I have no idea, just throwing it out there.

I think a custom tune is more suitable to heavy engine, cam etc mods.