WINCH FOR JOURNEY

Hi all, I would like to install a winch on my Journey, preferably in the front, but if that is not possible, I would have to do it at the back. I do have a Uhaul hitch, where it could be installed on, but then I could not use the hitch for my trailer.

Does anybody have experience with hooking up a winch?

Thanks,

Daanv

I can honestly say I have never seen this before.  Not many people putting winches of a DJ. Not like it’s an off road vehicle, like a Jeep.  The only setup I could think of is, as you stated, using your trailer hitch.  That would be if you wanted to drag something (tree limbs, bushes, etc).

What do you plan on doing with your winch?

Anything is possible. With that said, you would probably be the first and it would take some work. You either need to do a custom front fender to latch on to the frame or you could get a "hitch winch mount" to use your existing tow hitch connection. Most winches are installed to get you out of trouble or to help someone else out of trouble and the front is the ideal location, so curious why you want to get one installed on a DJ?

Anything is possible...depending on your fortitude. Pull the front plastic bumper cover first and eye ball the metal behind it.

How many pound winch and what is the application matters. Custom fabrication of a bracket would be needed for even a 2000 pound winch, which wouldn’t be strong enough to drag the Journey itself out of the rhubarb.

Unibody makes winch mounting quite an adventure. My Honda atv winch mount that I made taught me a few things. 
A close to 5k pound vehicle would be a bigger challenge.

Edited by John/Horace

Just remember, the Journey does not have a "frame" (which contributes to the ridiculously low tow ratings). You would need to be very careful as to finding a suitable attachment point at the front of the vehicle. Even mounted to the hitch....depending what you are wanting to use it for,  example, you install a 10,000 lb winch, you'd probably get to maybe 5000 lb of pull before you rip the thing off the vehicle.