Aftermarket radio compatible with all functions?

I can’t imagine that unit being plug and play. Other Chrysler/dodge vehicles all require some type of interface like Maestro to transfer the dash controls to head unit. These units also are known to not be the easiest thing to set up. FB not a great source of technical info IMO. 

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/stereo-upgrade-maestro-rr-interface-fact-thread.122376/

Clip from posting......

Ricky EE

Registered
Joined Feb 20, 2018
20 Posts 
 Discussion Starter  #3  Feb 25, 2018

It would be nice for an easy plug and play solution. I spoke with Maestro Tech help and they explained that the limitation is not coming from their item but from Ram's wiring--Rams wiring will not support transferring the specific data from the phone and head unit.

What I am going with is replacing the dash usb plug (by leaving it connected securing it behind the dash with a zip tie)with an aftermarket usb extension that plugs into the back of the head unit and then fills in the hole in the dash. 
Heres the one I ordered I'm gambling it will fit. IF not Ill return it and get another one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KGMJ5N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

For the center console armrest USB hub: I hope it still charges without making any changes. If it does not charge I will order the idata link kit Maestro explained that while it will not support Android Auto it will start charge the phone.

Some people pick up used oem units on LKQ etc. It’s not just Journey having issues switching dash units, Ram sells 10 times the product and they are struggling too. All manufacturer’s now imbed Tec in dash controls, bad trend that EV cars will finalize, get used to it.

Check out   Crutchfield.com.  Installed a Kenwood DMX9706S in my 09. System isn’t what I would call plug and play, requires some prep (connecting wires to each other, programming the Maestro unit,etc) but I did all that on my work bench.  When I got in the car all I had to do was remove the old unit, cut a bracket, connect the wire looms together, and install the new unit.  In the car took about 45 mins.  Ran into 1 issue, called Crutchfield, they talked me through it.  Never hung up, never said call back.  I didn’t want the UConnect(it sucked, wouldn’t work with my phone, no help from UConnect) but kept steering wheel controls, hands free (new unit has its own system).  Love my Kenwood system.

Are you running Android auto and Apple car play to stream music, mirror phone screen, and run Waze or navigation programs?
Does your USB console jack and 3.5mm audio input jack work perfectly with your new head unit? Heated seats, steering wheel and climate controls etc all running through the Maestro box.

If so go to the Ram forums with their 2.1M posts and 143k users and help them out. Their struggling from what I have read.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, John/Horace said:

Are you running Android auto and Apple car play to stream music, mirror phone screen, and run Waze or navigation programs?
Does your USB console jack and 3.5mm audio input jack work perfectly with your new head unit? Heated seats, steering wheel and climate controls etc all running through the Maestro box.

If so go to the Ram forums with their 2.1M posts and 143k users and help them out. Their struggling from what I have read.

My car is an 09. Yes I stream music, Waze, mirror screen without issue.  Steering wheel controls work fine. USB and 3.5 was on factory radio, but usb and 3.5 on Kenwood radio work fine. No heated seats,climate on radio, (they are on the dash, always were) never was even with the factory radio. Dumped suck ass UConnect and use the Kenwood system, but the handsfree button works that just fine.?

Edited by OhareFred

The wiring must be better on Journey for the USB and audio in jack. People on the ram forum not happy about audio quality using Maestro kit with after market radio inputs. They say using after market usb jack directly much better. Several recent firmware updates on kits so maybe it’s fixed now. 

I have installed a few aftermarket Bluetooth radios , but haven’t dealt with integrating dash controls...yet.

Tried to paste chart below; it showed scattered compatibility with different ram years, not confidence boosting.

I agree Journey Bluetooth not the greatest.

URAM

URAM.png

USB adapter cable for select RAM vehicles 2013-2017. Replaces the Media Hub circuit board in the center console so that a single USB port can be connected to an aftermarket radio USB input.
Part # ACC-USB-RAM 

See below for vehicle coverage details and model-specific features.

COMPLETE COVERAGE
LEGEND

Fully covered

Not covered

Ram                              
1500 3" Screen

1500 5" Screen

1500 8.4" screen

2500 3" Screen

2500 5" Screen

3500 3" Screen

3500 5" Screen

• 1 year later...

Hope this thread is still alive - Have the exact same question/problem. My bluetooth has NEVER worked, and I'm dying to get some kind of replacement or aftermarket replacement where I wouldn't lose the OEM functionality (climate, seats, steering controls, etc.) 

Has there been any movement/advances on this??  Please say yes...