2016 Dodge Journey Key Fob Replacement Best Cheapest Option

most of the better key shops have the fobs, not sure on how much cheaper than the dealership, also ask on face book as well LOL i know that sounds crazy but we have a lot of small places that do keys and fob's that you wouldn't know that they would have that kind of stuff good luck and report back on what you find out for others in your spot.........P.S. might want to upgrade to remote start thur mopar and still pricey but you would get new fobs with the upgrade

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, Timothy Boland said:

Hello,

I lost the Key Fob to my 2016 Dodge Journey....yes, I have googled...but i would like to hear it right from the horses mouth

What is the Best Cheapest option that is garaunteed to work please?  :-)

You could also purchase alfaobd available for Android or windows, and a obdlink mx roughly $150, then a fob from Amazon that matches you other one.

Would need your 4 digit PIN for rfhub from Dodge parts department, or you can use Chrysler pin puller from Android apps cost about $15

Still cheaper than stealership and you get the tool.

Alfaobd is a very powerful tool, so this isn't it's only use.

I have programmed fob on 2014 journey, 2015 ram 2500, and 2018 ram 1500.

Hope this helps, good luck

• 3 months later...

The current version of AlfaOBD lets me get the pin in the RFH section at the bottom of the list.
I'm pretty sure this will also work with the dodge journey.

->Journey (JC)
->Radio Frequency Hub(RFH)
-> MY2011-20 PowerNet
->Connect
click on the car symbol in the bottom right corner
->Read PIN
make a note of the pin
->Program Igniton FOBIKs

follow the instructions!

Edited by Grendi

• 10 months later...

I bought a 2018 DJ, the key fob that came with it was damaged, Looks like a dog chewed on it.

it would not remote lock the door, the dog that got to it broke that one button.

so I looked everywhere for a replacement.

I went to a local shop "Batteries and Bulbs" 

they advertised they do key fobs,

they sold me the fob and said they could program the key for me,

it was supposed to cost $200

But the kids at the store couldn't handle the job, I even helped take inside panels off the car.

the device they use plugs into the port under the dash, But it also has two wire leads that need to plug into a green connector that sits in the rear side panel behind the rear passenger seat. and behind the driver.

The manager didn't want to continue but I insisted, until they gave up.

they refunded me all of my money, 

it would have cost $200 if they wee smart enough to pull it off, But they weren't.

so then I called a mobile outfit that drove out to my house, Sold me the key fob and programmed the key.

again I had to help this guy as well pull the rear panel off.

but he did get it to work.

This time it cost me $400 but i did get a new fob and it worked.

so it wasn't cheap but it works.

Your old factory fob has a hidden mechanical key for unlocking drivers door. Just release locking tab. Make sure to save it, maybe put in a magnetic hidden key box. If battery completely flat, remote will not unlock electric car door locks. Key will be needed. Good idea to use it once a year to make sure tumblers don’t seize up over time.

Guy that hooked up,/programmed key fob could probably have enabled remote start on the replacement fobs. Pretty sure all the relays and wiring are there from factory build. Dealer won’t want to play with aftermarket fob part.

21 hours ago, 2late4u said:

Remote Start - Mopar (82215575AB)

• Remote Start - Mopar (82215575AB)
  •  
  • Remote Start - Mopar (82215575AB)
Remote Start - Mopar (82215575AB)

• MSRP:$332.00
  • Discount:$45.65 (13.70% off)
  • Sale Price:$286.35     plus install

this is exactly what my new key fob looks like.

just having the buttons on the fob doesn't activate remote start or the rear hatch opening.

the guy I bought it from thought it would just work, But it didn't,

he didn't charge me anything extra for this fob compared to the one with only lock/unlock.

I didn't have them cut me a new key, I just used the old key slipped into the new fob.

that saved some money.

but still remote start does not work nor does the rear hatch.

Do you have the proximity locks unlocking when it sees your remote.?  If that works the lock button to left of hatch handle can be cycled to open hatch door. Is panic button working?

Via uconnect using vin number the remote start can probably be enabled. Need the right equip and knowledge. Alpha obd I think can do it as well if you have a functioning factory remote. 

If your vehicle was already enabled for remote starting, new fob probably would have automatically worked.

Edited by John/Horace

1 hour ago, AOXOMOXOA said:

this is exactly what my new key fob looks like.

just having the buttons on the fob doesn't activate remote start or the rear hatch opening.

the guy I bought it from thought it would just work, But it didn't,

he didn't charge me anything extra for this fob compared to the one with only lock/unlock.

I didn't have them cut me a new key, I just used the old key slipped into the new fob.

that saved some money.

but still remote start does not work nor does the rear hatch.

what i posted was the price of a complete remote start kit not just the fobs,,,,,as i have heard only new fobs can be programed once and used fobs cannot be programed ,also needs to be done correctly...my advice would be go to the dealership as it looks like you are just throwing $$ at the problem,,,one question was your original fob have the remote start button on it as the is an upgrade over reg fobs that require extra equipment and programing

1 hour ago, 2late4u said:

what i posted was the price of a complete remote start kit not just the fobs,,,,,as i have heard only new fobs can be programed once and used fobs cannot be programed ,also needs to be done correctly...my advice would be go to the dealership as it looks like you are just throwing $$ at the problem,,,one question was your original fob have the remote start button on it as the is an upgrade over reg fobs that require extra equipment and programing

my issue was already fixed as i explained.

my issue was already fixed as i explained.

and no the original didn't have the remote start button or the rear hatch buttons.

The new fob with the additional buttons cost me no more than the normal one did.

It was the thought of the key re programmer that it would just work having the new buttons which is not correct.

But I didn't "throwing $$ at the problem" as you said.

I needed a new key fob and i got one.