Need to get suspension upgrade for wheelchair rack on 2012 Journey SXT FWD

Hello all. I am looking for a way to get a rear strut or suspension add on to carry the weight of an electric wheel chair weighing approximately 600 lbs.  This is my parent's car and they recently have been using an electric wheel chair when they go out as both are disabled.  The SUV has approximately 70k on it now and when they loaded the chair onto the carrier,  it sagged the rear end extensively, and the struts have not reset yet.  This carrier also extends out approximately 3 feet behind the SUV. The carrier attaches to the Journey by means of a 2 inch receiver hitch. I am looking to replace the struts on their Journey, but want to put in a strut that can handle this weight without sagging too much. Has anyone modified their suspension for a task such as this before?

I don't think there have been too many upgrades here, but I would guess installing new suspension components would make a big difference. A good suspension shop shop would be able to give you a couple of options on stiffer or softer options and hopefully resolve your issue. Sorry it's not a better answer but let us know what you do. 

i responded but its not showing,, with that much weight you will be way over the tongue weight and even if you can beef up the suspension you would still have trouble , i have a rack like what you are talking about that i carry my wife's med 3 wheel scooter and it only weights around 260 lbs and between the rack and the scooter i am pushing it of course i am using the reg suspension. and to be honest i have had some problems with the rear upper trailer link/upper control arm and had aftermarket adj installed as the OEM arms are non-adj....good luck

It’s not that it can’t be done. Braun makes a wheel chair modified Caravan with a full power ramp etc. The van is very similar to the journey is most respects.

The wheel chair vans have completely modified aftermarket suspension. Like was mentioned, approach suspension shops for advice, should be cheaper than having to change vehicles I hope. Total weight should still be less than 7 passengers with your gear.

9 hours ago, John/Horace said:

It’s not that it can’t be done. Braun makes a wheel chair modified Caravan with a full power ramp etc. The van is very similar to the journey is most respects.

The wheel chair vans have completely modified aftermarket suspension. Like was mentioned, approach suspension shops for advice, should be cheaper than having to change vehicles I hope. Total weight should still be less than 7 passengers with your gear.

evidently you havent approached any shops that would attempt this, griffin mobility in our own said he wouldn't improve my suspension or install anything for my journey other than a tow behind carrier for my wife's scooter and it only weights around 260 plus the weight of the carrier and the weight of the class 3 hitch.. he was very sure that the journey are NOT capable to carry such weight that the poster is talking about...as far as your example of the caravan is it is internally carrying the 600 lb chair and the poster is wanting to carry it behind the journey on a platform that will overload the rear end and cause instability of the vehicle. and yes the springs and struts can be beefed up  but as stated he would still be unstable

Braun Mobility isn’t a shop, they are one of the biggest manufacturer’s of wheel chair ramp vans.

Relative has a Caravan version; flip a switch and van suspension  drops 3 inches for loading. They have I believe both front and side load.

Their mods probably go through engineering evaluations.

A trailer with 300 pounds of tongue weight and 2 adults in the third seat might be close to the 600 pound chair. The problem would be several large adults also in the front of vehicle.  Braun does very expensive modifications. Maybe they wouldn’t touch a journey, not sure. They remove several of seats so 7 passenger ability never stays. Which allows the heavy chair to be added.

Edited by John/Horace

2 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Braun Mobility isn’t a shop, they are one of the biggest manufacturer’s of wheel chair ramp vans.

Relative has a Caravan version; flip a switch and van suspension  drops 3 inches for loading. They have I believe both front and side load.

A trailer with 300 pounds of tongue weight and 2 adults in the third seat might be close to the 600 pound chair. The problem would be several large adults also in the front of vehicle.  Braun does very expensive modifications. Maybe they wouldn’t touch a journey, not sure. They remove several of seats so 7 passenger ability never stays. Which allows the heavy chair to be added.

you are comparing apples to oranges,,,,yes any car can be converted to carry a wheelchair INSIDE it including ramps with no problem, the poster is talking about carrying a 600 lb wheel chair on a   carrier with a hitch and the journeys frame is not built for that ,,,,  way to much weight behind the journey... our local griffin mobility shop has  a  KIA soul that will carry a  electric wheelchair  with a ramp BUT only inside of it

Edited by 2late4u

2 hours ago, John/Horace said:

also he is NOT talking about a trailer he is wanting to use a hitch carrier   A BIG difference in the two items

There are some air ride type set ups around. But when you see universal and kit I get very leery about proper fit. Somebody on the site here (Lacosiete) has posted about adding on some air bladder based suspension equipment. 

I have added air bags to an F150 and a newish Ram pickup. But they had towing packages and oversized brakes and towing gears designed for extra capacity. So not a big risk thing.
   There doesn’t appear to be anything specifically designed for Journey. Caravan seems to be a heavier designed vehicle which I think is why they mod it for ramps and heavy chairs.  Journey was Avenger car based design as the starting point, fuel economy important. Even leaving front seats only and stripping every thing else out in the back, probably wouldn’t drop much weight to help significantly.

Home 

2. Dodge Journey 2014 Parts 
  4. Dodge Journey 2014 Lift Kits, Suspension & Shocks 
  6. Dodge Journey 2014 Air Ride Suspensions 
  8. Dodge Journey 2014 Leveling Compressor Kits

REFINE BY:

BRAND

FITMENT

AIR TANK INCLUDED

AMP DRAW

DUTY CYCLE

HEIGHT SENSING

MAXIMUM AIR PRESSURE

NEW PRODUCTS

SINGLE OR DUAL ADJUSTABLE

PART TYPE

PRICE RANGE

2014 Dodge Journey Leveling Compressor Kits 

Dodge Journey 2014 Leveling Compressor Kits AirLift WirelessONE Air Compressor Control System with EZ Mount (2nd Generation) - 25980EZ

Part Number: AIR25980EZ

AirLift

AirLift WirelessONE Air Compressor Control System with EZ Mount (2nd Generation) - 25980EZ

(3)
  • Fitment: Universal Fit
  • Single-path control: Left and right air springs are inflated/deflated equally
  • Wireless handheld unit and NEW mobile app for convenient operation inside or outside the vehicle
  • Easy installation no air lines to the cab!
  • Three programmable, user-defined memory settings

CAD$758.99

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ADD TO CART
Add Protection Plan for CAD$75.90 ?

Ship to Home:

Ready To Ship

Free! Curbside & In-Store Pickup: 4 Wheel Parts Burlington #1021In StockView Other Stores

• Get it installed from CAD$375.00 each.?

Dodge Journey 2014 Leveling Compressor Kits Firestone Ride-Rite Wireless Air Command Kit - 2610

Part Number: FIR2610

Firestone Ride-Rite

Firestone Ride-Rite Wireless Air Command Kit - 2610

• Fitment: Universal Fit
  • Easily adjust air pressure with convenient app
  • Bluetooth enabled
  • Compatible with most air spring kits with 1/4 inch air line
  • Mount anywhere compressor

CAD$521.40

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ADD TO CART
Add Protection Plan for CAD$52.14 ?
Edited by John/Horace