Dodge Journey 2.7L oil light lit up

TonyMarony

Hi. I have a Dodge Journey 2009 2.7L V6 SXT FlexFuel (ethanol option). I have a problem which started to occur about 2 months ago. I used cleaning treatment in engine and after that I changed the oil and filter, now when engine is hot, in normal temp, while idling, the oil light lits up. For example I stop in a traffic lights, oil light lits up and makes warning signal. If I just press brake and gas pedal just to about 1000 RPM, the oil light goes off. And it doesn't do this while engine is cold, only when it's hot. I have checked the oil level and it is full. There are no any kind of noises from the engine, no rattling noise or anything, but it runs just nicely. It's driven now about 186000 KM / 115500 MILES. What can be the issue, bad oil pressure sensor, as I have checked, that sensor has a small hole in it, so can that be clogged? Please help. Thank you.

if the sensor is easy to get to i would replace that first just to start with the easiest and cheapest fix first also check the wire connection there as well to make sure it is making a good connection, my 2014 had a oil senor go bad it read completely peg out at high but is really hard to get to but was covered under my warranty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what ever you find to be the fix please report back on the answer

• 1 year later...
On 27.10.2020 at 4:54 PM, 2late4u said:

if the sensor is easy to get to i would replace that first just to start with the easiest and cheapest fix first also check the wire connection there as well to make sure it is making a good connection, my 2014 had a oil senor go bad it read completely peg out at high but is really hard to get to but was covered under my warranty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what ever you find to be the fix please report back on the answer

It's been a while now. But I haven't change the oil pressure sensor yet since the location of it, is so difficult. I've been changing the oil every 5000km/3100mi and now it doesn't lit up so often. But mainly, the engine sounds great, inspection which we have to do every year in Finland, on last inspection the inspector said that engine is like brand new according the revs and exhaust analysis. I am 100% sure that the issue is only that oil pressure sensor which is clogged or bad. Engine runs great and 1 month ago we had a family road trip 1200km/750mi with no issues. Also I made RVS treatment for the engine 2 years ago, I think that has also positive effect to the engine. But I will try to change that sensor, well not me, but a mechanic, but it doesn't bother me anymore since she's running great. I will post again when sensor has been replaced.