2010 key wont start my car

Hi, I'm new I'm working on my father in laws car.  2010 dodge journey v6.turn the key and it doesnt crank. If I put power to the new starter with the key in the run position the engine cranks but doesnt turn on.  If I spray starter fluid in the air intake and put power directly to the starter it cranks and turns on and stays running.  Anyone can help me fixing this issue?  Maybe just bad ignition switch?  Any input will help. I dont know how to test the ignition switch.   Any help or diagrams are much appreciated

Can you try a second key in case they are a security chip key (low possibility).

Park neutral safety switch on tranny can prevent starter engaging; try putting neutral and starting car.

Is there an After market security system on vehicle ?

Pic is standard relay wiring diagram.

DD970C7B-FCF2-444B-8317-0D186918CF50.jpeg.a5991d5c4eaddc636d6223105ecc0c99.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace

1 hour ago, John/Horace said:

Can you try a second key in case they are a security chip key (low possibility).

Park neutral safety switch on tranny can prevent starter engaging; try putting neutral and starting car.

Is there an After market security system on vehicle ?

Pic is standard relay wiring diagram.

DD970C7B-FCF2-444B-8317-0D186918CF50.jpeg.a5991d5c4eaddc636d6223105ecc0c99.jpeg

I tried starting it with the 2nd key. Didnt work. 

Tried in neutral also didnt work.

No aftermarket alarm.

Doesn’t turn on with key I missed that.  Need to scan for codes in ecm see what turns up.

Need to have someone hold key in on position and see if the small power feed (12 volts) coming from key switch is making it to the starter motor. It’s the signal that sends power to the big cable feeding the starter solenoid. 
You could try marking starter relay and swapping it with another identical relay to see if coil is bad.

Is there a security light on dash that is on right now? Seems like fuel pump and starter not coming on.

When you turn on key to last click before starting, listen closely for fuel pump sound, it should cycle on and then off as it pressurizes system. 

On 7/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, OhareFred said:

There was an ignition key recall for 09-? If the car doesn’t have a push button it might be included.  Was it ever taken in/checked for that?  You can go to my mopar.com, create a profile, enter the vin and it will tell you....

Wasn't that recall simply to correct a issue where a key with a heavy ring attached would cause the ignition to turn off?

https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t33365_ds653963

I think GM was heavy key  random stalling...safety issue. Corroded switch and possible fire is this Dodge isssue. Was the OP having this no start problem on and off and just threw a starter at it to try and fix it, maybe.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjRoYmh5dnqAhWUYDUKHaMQC-UQFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motortrend.com%2Fnews%2Frecall-alert-2009-dodge-journey-200809-ram-recalled-for-electrical-problems-4217%2F&usg=AOvVaw2GV-D2L6AfrLgu-Swjtb0J

Edited by John/Horace

That’s not the recall I was talking about.  It was for non-push button ignition switches.  The ones where you stick the key/fob into the dash and turn it.  That’s the one I was talking about.  Had mine done a few years ago.  New in dash ignition module a 3 new fobs...