Popping in steering and pedal

I'm experiencing popping noise that can also be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal. Happens when going straight and when turning. Ruled out my strut bearings, stabilizer links, stabilizer bushings. Checked my CV axles and theres no play in them from what I can tell. Sounds like the popping is coming from center of the car when listening inside. Also seems to happen more in really hot weather. Mornings when it isn't as hot as the daytime doesn't do the popping much, but by afternoon in our heat wave, it does it like crazy!!!

What do you guys think? 2016 journey sxt 3.6L 80,000 kms

both directions, and also when driving straight and going over bumps. I've been researching it a crap ton the past day lol. Found some people who owned dodge avengers with the exact same noise, and even does it in only warm weather like mine.....seems to point to the steering rack fuck my life.

Unless you are a licensed mechanic with a rack and engine stethoscope you can’t eliminate some stuff you’ve mentioned.

Racks usually cause stiff steering and start to leak from seals when they are really shot.

My WAG is upper strut mounts, need to lower struts and pivot them by hand to evaluate, although weight of car can change internal play.

Normally changed as a unit, although with spring compressor set can be replaced by them selves.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2016,journey,3.6l+v6,3353540,suspension,strut+mount,7600

D6F6E041-CCF8-4603-B1B0-37D6F929EF6E.jpeg.ad856b4723dfeeb2d7298012a2da1137.jpeg

I thought for sure it was the upper strut mounts as well. I had 1 month old monroe quickstruts in there and thought they went back so I swapped them out for my old pair of struts that I know had no popping noise , and the noise is still there. And yes i lower the vehicle on its own weight before tightening the tower nuts to spec lol

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out. It was the stabilizer bar bushings. I used aftermarket ones that were way too tight and the stabilizer bar wasn't able to flex properly. I swapped to the OEM bushings that have the little fiber mesh inside of them and it stopped the noise. 

Glad you found it. Front end noises can be very hard to nail down. It seemed way to early for rack issues.

Found this decent front end trouble shooting guide...that you now don’t need, cool.

https://www.moparmagazine.com/2016/08/their-ride-quality-depends-on-it/

You easy sell the Monroe quick struts.

Edited by John/Horace