driver front brake dragging and overheating

well, a new problem has cropped up on our 2010, the driver front brake is seemingly dragging and overheating, the brake actually overheated to the point of warping the rotor and cooking the pads to unusability. after replacing both front rotors and pads, and doing the BAS/ESP reset trick as described by Dusty256 to no avail; the driver front brake was 40 degrees hotter (150 degrees) than the passenger side (110 degrees) after my test drive tonight. any advice is appreciated, i don't want to have to start firing the parts cannon at it!

How were the slider pins? Need to be cleaned up and lubed with Sylglide or similar synthetic brake lube. Should float freely.

New  pads are often too tight and need some clearance added on the contact surfaces with a file or grinder. Although one side is working ok so.....

At higher milage calipers can start to seize up. Either new seals from a rebuild kit or a reman caliper might be needed.

10 hours ago, John/Horace said:

How were the slider pins? Need to be cleaned up and lubed with Sylglide or similar synthetic brake lube. Should float freely.

New  pads are often too tight and need some clearance added on the contact surfaces with a file or grinder. Although one side is working ok so.....

At higher milage calipers can start to seize up. Either new seals from a rebuild kit or a reman caliper might be needed.

slide pins were still free and had plenty of grease on them; I’m going to call my local O’reilly’s and have them get me a rebuild kit, and if that doesn’t work, a new caliper and brake hose will be next.

pulled the caliper off and apart today; no scoring on the piston or the bore, but the lip between the dust boot and the inner seal was rusty as heck. I went ahead and cleaned up that lip, reassembled everything, and went for a test drive. Took 3 different temperature readings and  did 3 ABS panic stops (on not busy rural backroads), and both front brakes were within a few degrees of each other. I’m definitely going to be keeping an eye (and nose) on this problem  because I want to take our journey on a road trip the second week of July.

35430AEB-22D9-46BD-8329-FC789CFE6E7B.jpeg

AD8F04C9-D4B9-4D88-BA94-F9681063D2A9.jpeg

Nice pics, sounds like you fixed it. Good for you, some people are afraid of rebuilding calipers and always buy reman or new.

Hand held laser temp gauges are fairly decent for measuring; sometimes you need to take a few readings to get a reliable measurement.

I rebuilt lots of calipers when I had Japanese cars with reman units that were stupidly over priced. One of the reasons I like domestic vehicles sometimes. Sylglide is good for assembly lube.

Thanks for the follow up.