Grinding noise when reversing

Hey all,

I've not posted in a while and with all the shutdowns happening here, I am unable to book an appointment at my local dealer to investigate a grinding noise when I reverse. My car is a 2014 DJ R/T with about 115k. The noise is present when I reverse straight and when I turn the wheel right(while reversing). The sound is not present when driving forward from stop or at high speed. I've searched the internet and some say it could be my wheel bearings or CV joint.  At this point, I don't want to drive it if the vehicle if it sounds like the sound would be hazardous enough to sound like something is going to break. I've attached a sound byte from inside.

Sound

fwd drive or awd? sound bite not working for me,,,usually CV joints only make a noise ( usually a clicking noise not grinding)when turning go to an empty parking lot and make sharp turns while doing a figure eight pattern you can google this on you tube,also if it makes a noise when turning right then its your left  CV joint and vice versa,as for wheel bearings if going bad they should get a lot hotter than normal if making a noise you should be able to feel near the rotor,  jack the journey up and put a jack stand under it as well and rotate the wheels and see if you feel any grinding noise or motion also try to shake or move the wheel google this a s well on you tube.....hope it is one of these 2 things a lot cheaper than a trans.

I’m assuming all wheel drive R/T. Could check both c/v shaft boots on rear for visual tears, grease on outside of rubber boot. When water/sand gets in they wear out fast. However shaft can also get noisy even if boots still ok.

Wheel bearing sound usually follows speed of car, so highway speed would be loud hum normally. Not strictly a reverse thing in my experience.

Rear diff needs to have oil in it. Remove level check plug and make sure oil not contaminated and level is full.

Could jack up each rear wheel and try spinning. Should free wheel with a little bit of brake pad noise. 

Has tranny had oil and filter changed yet.

Edited by John/Horace

Thanks for the replies. My R/T is AWD. I did perform the reverse test in a parking lot, that's where I did the recording. From what I can tell, only when reversing straight or when my wheel is turned to the right is when I heard the grinding noise. From what you've said, that would mean it's my left CV joint? I did have the car jacked this past weekend to swap over to my summer tires and all I heard from the rear wheels was a little brake grinding.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, are the CV joints only on the rear? I can do the visual inspection and see if I can see any tears or what not. I'm hoping it's just that and nothing more serious. If it's just dirt and tears, is the car still safe to drive? I think I've ruled out my wheel bearings since I recall I should be hearing a humming sound and so forth. 

Tranny oil was replaced late last year and I'll have to check if I would be able to check the rear differential. Sounds like if I have to resort to that, then I should just bring it to a mechanic? I'm also wondering if the noise could be a result of the car just sitting idle for such a long time. With all the shut downs, I've only driven to the grocery store once a week, which is just about 3km from my place.

Anyone know if the issues is with the CV if these are covered under Dodge warranty? I bought the Gold plan and it's saved me $$ on recent times where even the transmission hose had recently punctured and started to leak. Wondering if there's other items to watch out for now that the car is over 100k.

Edited by humansoul

1 hour ago, humansoul said:

Thanks for the replies. My R/T is AWD. I did perform the reverse test in a parking lot, that's where I did the recording. From what I can tell, only when reversing straight or when my wheel is turned to the right is when I heard the grinding noise. From what you've said, that would mean it's my left CV joint? I did have the car jacked this past weekend to swap over to my summer tires and all I heard from the rear wheels was a little brake grinding.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, are the CV joints only on the rear? I can do the visual inspection and see if I can see any tears or what not. I'm hoping it's just that and nothing more serious. If it's just dirt and tears, is the car still safe to drive? I think I've ruled out my wheel bearings since I recall I should be hearing a humming sound and so forth. 

Tranny oil was replaced late last year and I'll have to check if I would be able to check the rear differential. Sounds like if I have to resort to that, then I should just bring it to a mechanic? I'm also wondering if the noise could be a result of the car just sitting idle for such a long time. With all the shut downs, I've only driven to the grocery store once a week, which is just about 3km from my place.

Anyone know if the issues is with the CV if these are covered under Dodge warranty? I bought the Gold plan and it's saved me $$ on recent times where even the transmission hose had recently punctured and started to leak. Wondering if there's other items to watch out for now that the car is over 100k.

CV joints all four corners of your journey,,,also might be the awd transfer unit going bad, has it ever been serviced as well?your brakes really shouldn't make hardly any noise when spinning them by hand as the calipers should release almost completely. What shape are your brake pads front and rear looking like? and do you have any warranty left is the Big question?  also CV joints would make the noises going forward or backwards when doing the figure * or sharp corners as well

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...