Trouble starting Dodge Journey

Having issues with our Dodge Journey. A few months back our car when left over a couple days of not being used wouldn’t start when we went to start it to drive. We were able to jump it and it ran fine eventually it started to do it more often. My bro in law ran some test and it looked like it was the battery and the alternator so we got those both changed. Since then we have had no issues until just recently where again if the car runs everyday it’s fine but if it sits for a day it’s dead when we go to use it.

Any idea what this might be? We just got a couple of recalls down in the last month and this wasn’t an issue before these were done either so now I’m extremely frustrated. 

OEM batteries have been a known issue in the Journey. Supposedly you have that angle covered.

If the battery is going dead, and the alternator is testing fine, you may have a parasitic draw. There are a lot of threads on that problem here. The most common is the Bluetooth module. Try pulling the fuse for the Bluetooth to rule that out. Do some searching in the forum for similar complaints.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem... let it sit for a few days and the battery would die.  First got a new battery, under warranty so the just gave me a new one.  Next, well sometimes the telemeterics (bluetooth and voice response) module sometimes works, sometimes don't... replaces that.  Eventually I tell them, showing the past receipts, I really want this fixed - where do I need to go?  Ok, enough ranting.

Eventually (several weeks) they discovered something wrong with the radio.  $270 fix actually.  At one point deal said they talked with (not clear on exact name) technical consultants.  The draw/drain was minimal when measured and I guess didn't calculate into a problem initially. 

I had pointed out, each time I bring in it in, battery disconnected, seems like it resets.  When it becomes a problem, it gets progressively worse - takes less time to die.  There are other topics here about dead batteries with different endings. 

• Official Dodge Support
On 2/8/2020 at 12:54 PM, djk said:

I had a similar problem... let it sit for a few days and the battery would die.  First got a new battery, under warranty so the just gave me a new one.  Next, well sometimes the telemeterics (bluetooth and voice response) module sometimes works, sometimes don't... replaces that.  Eventually I tell them, showing the past receipts, I really want this fixed - where do I need to go?  Ok, enough ranting.

Eventually (several weeks) they discovered something wrong with the radio.  $270 fix actually.  At one point deal said they talked with (not clear on exact name) technical consultants.  The draw/drain was minimal when measured and I guess didn't calculate into a problem initially. 

I had pointed out, each time I bring in it in, battery disconnected, seems like it resets.  When it becomes a problem, it gets progressively worse - takes less time to die.  There are other topics here about dead batteries with different endings. 

Hi djk, Sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer again, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Rob
DodgeCares

• 11 months later...

My daughter has a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We get some really cold nights in January and I have been getting up early before I go to work because my daughter phones me every second morning asking me to come over to her place to boost her vehicle. So I traded her vehicles and I have been checking for a parasitic drain on her battery for the last 2 weeks without any luck until this morning at 5:30 AM to help my wife get ready for work. I went to the front door to remote start my wife's car and noticed the brake lights were activated on the 2010 Dodge Journey SXT so I went outside and yes the battery was dead again. I checked a few websites and this is a known problem with Journeys and the brake switch staying on after turning it off. I would never have noticed it if I would not have gotten up at 5:30 AM with my wife. Thank you honey! Now replacing my brake light switch. I will let you know if that solves it but I am 99.9% sure that is the issue. The switch is at $20 at Rock Auto.  Worth a try it might fix your issue.