Door lock fuse short in the fusebox, with details..

Hi everyone, I've got a 2009 sxt Journey with some door lock issues. The seller pulled a fast one on me and here I am.

I'll describe the details of what I'm looking at to bring you up to speed. The doors can only be manually locked. The FOB flashes the system on and off, including the security and parking lights. The lock and unlock buttons in the vehicle do nothing.

In the fusebox, I noticed the fuse is missing. Trying to put one in shows there is a ground fault in the system as it just shorts out the fuse. Incidentally, there is ALWAYS power at this fuse whether the key in off or the vehicle is running - FIRST QUESTION -> Is that normal? Should there be power at the door lock fuse when the vehicle is off with nothing on, no key inserted?

Someone did some wiring at the door jam. It looks like the door harness was replaced as there are 3 wires what DO NOT MATCH the color of the wiring going into the vehicle.

2 of the wires are green, one with a tracer (on the door) - they go to the yellow pressure switch for the airbags. The other wire is a small green with a brown tracer - that one goes to the small plug on the back of the button switches. SECOND QUESTION -> Does anyone have a wiring DIAGRAM for the 2009 Journey SXT handy? I'd like to track down what goes where. On the wiring coming out of the vehicle, the wires are blue with various tracers. The wire going to the switch is the only one with power.

I'm looking to figure this out without taking it in for someone to spend hours tracking down this short. THIRD QUESTION -> Is there a relay for the lock fuse? Something I'm missing?

I' don't think it's a short in the fusebox itself, but that's a possibility I suppose.

Any help on this is appreciated.

well sounds like someone did a terrible job at the door jam fixing the wires as dodge wouldn't have fixed it that way, i dont know if dodge would honor the repair now since it has been messed with, but sure wouldn't

hurt to touch base with your local dealership,,,pretty sure that repair is where your problem short is....good luck and report back what you do

Hi guys. The work might have been done at the dealership. I've seen some pretty horrific work come out of those over the years.. They did solder the splicing. Why would anyone else change a door harness? It just doesn't make sense.. I did cut the wires and unplug everything in the door to see if the short went away but it didn't.

I've been doing some thinking and I'm convinced some part of the door lock system crapped out and shorted out inside. My plan is to unplug everything, one at a time until I find what is shorting out the system. The vehicle is in mint condition as is all the wiring so it has to be a part that has failed..

I'd like a diagram displaying the flow of current in the system, starting at the fusebox. It would be handy as the doorlock system is integrated with the security system. Has such a thing been posted on this forum by any chance?

I did check on the mopar website, and a few recalls have been done on this specific unit but I could not locate a recall for the doorlock harness one. Fyi.

Have a great night guys and happy new year! I'm off to have a few cold ones...

he cut the wires and unplug the door connections so the short or problem should be in the dash or under the hood as he said it still blew the fuse, i would have assumed it was where the repair was. so have no real idea, for me it would be time to take it to a electrical shop or dealership for more help, sounds like he is capable of more troubleshooting so good luck 

A quick update.. I took the passenger side door panel today and found everything completely untouched and intact, as delivered from the manufacturer. I decided to remove the fuse box and take it apart completely to see if corrosion or something else was shorting out the circuit. I've had to do this before with a 2011 Ram I had suddenly stop starting up due to some pins being corroded in the fuse box, one that was on a 6 month back order at that. Anyway, the fuse box is perfect so my search for the short continues. I'm almost suspecting the ECM at this point..

• 3 years later...

@BigBlockDaddy were you able to resolve this issue?

I have a 2010 journey - same deal. Bought it with the power locks not working. The door lock fuse will literally smoke the second I try to put it in. So I obviously have it removed.

I have some other electrical issues as well. Suspicious of the TIPM. Would love to hear how you fixed it.