The images is of the gas tank the leak appears to be coming from where the filler hose meets the tank I had noticed a little gas smell nothing to crazy plus it's been raining where I'm at. 2 days later I fill up and go home now it's just steady drip drip drip so I jack the car up a bit to take these pictures, has anyone else had this issue I have extended warranty cant get into a repair shop of theirs until 10/31/2019 and that's for them to diagnose the problem today is 10/25/2019 No check engine light no accidents and never bottomed out. The blue circle gets to me I wonder if this has been worked on before the problem is already circled, and the gas tank is not part of the powertrain.Does anyone else who has a AWD  GT have this blue circle on their gas tank. Has anyone else had this failure maybe similar? 

20191025_100010.jpg

20191025_090436.jpg

well since you have the extended warranty, wouldn't worry about it.if you didnt i would clean it off really good. crank it up and you should see where it is leaking you might would have to let it run for a while to build pressure but shouldn't take long. my daughters caravan started leaking gas on topof the tank where the fuel pump was bolted to the tank it was a plastic fitting where the gas was delivered to the fuel line. there are a lot of you tube vid on it was a common failure...at least this is easy to see where it is coming from..please take the time to report back what they did and the cost for other posters that might come up with this problem....happy trails

Edited by 2late4u
spelling

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

well since you have the extended warranty, wouldn't worry about it.if you didnt i would clean it off really good. crank it up and you should see where it is leaking you might would have to let it run for a while to build pressure but shouldn't take long. my daughters caravan started leaking gas on topof the tank where the fuel pump was bolted to the tank it was a plastic fitting where the gas was delivered to the fuel line. there are a lot of you tube vid on it was a common failure...at least this is easy to see where it is coming from..please take the time to report back what they did and the cost for other posters that might come up with this problem....happy trails

Definitely will this is my 2nd dodge journey with some random failures after regular warranty expired. I urge mopar owners to get the extended warranty I didnt get it on my last journey and regretted had to fix rocker arms myself, love my truck over any other suv hands down just feel they need a longer warranty. However I have a video but couldn't post it here but wish I could. The picture attached shows item #6 which is the hose you see in my original post, that hose (#6) is what goes directly to the tank I do not know or recognize the item that is in between the hose and tank (tank is black) the plastic looking piece I dont know itlf that is a fitting or all one piece but from the looks of it theres nothing that resembles it in the mopar parts page, would hate to hear someone get seriously injured because a fault like this which doesn't seem common yet as I checked for recalls and nthsa, but being I work in construction sites I'm glad I been working at a campus close to home. However lately i had my wife and kids in this thing glad nothing crazy happened you know.

Screenshot_20191024-234806_Chrome.jpg

well did you try to clean it off and dry it off and see where the leak is its either at the hose end or around the plastic inlet at the tank? quit worrying about it being a safety hazard ,and or recalls and such,,,,wouldn't take long to find out where the leak is. and yes it wont be covered under the power train but if you bought a extended warranty it might be,, but as i have a 100 ded myself so you might want to fix this yourself if you can. as a rubber hose or plastic fitting might not be covered and then you will still be out the fee for checking it out.as for the blue ring i would be that is the manufactures process as i see blue as well going around the tank seams

The average cost for a Dodge Journey fuel tank replacement is between $1,342 and $1,399. Labor costs are estimated between $216 and $273 while parts are priced at $1126.......... Estimate does not include taxes and fees.  pulled this of internet i would assume how many parts you replaced at the same time, ex fuel pumps, straps, and what ever else ...................also i looked on e bay and the gas tank there for sale also had the blue marking around the plastic fill valve that is probally where your leak is at between the valve and the gas tank it self... good luck

4 hours ago, 2late4u said:

The average cost for a Dodge Journey fuel tank replacement is between $1,342 and $1,399. Labor costs are estimated between $216 and $273 while parts are priced at $1126.......... Estimate does not include taxes and fees.  pulled this of internet i would assume how many parts you replaced at the same time, ex fuel pumps, straps, and what ever else ...................also i looked on e bay and the gas tank there for sale also had the blue marking around the plastic fill valve that is probally where your leak is at between the valve and the gas tank it self... good luck

I wiped it off it's coming off the inlet that's the video I wish I could show but yes its leaking from the inlet. I looked online also and seen those parts. But I would shocked if that isn't covered as its nothing I could've caused hopefully I have no issues. I go to carmax on the 31st couldn't get anything sooner not even other shops. The tank looks like a pretty easy job to do but I see it is very costly, i couldn't see if that inlet is a part on the mopar page. I was tempted on trying to temp fix it but I'm leaving it alone dont wantnto void anything and it has stopped leaking now that its lower than a half tank. Will keep you posted on what happens hopefully all goes well.

wait and see what car max will do, you might be able to fix it with some after market sealer but dont know of one ,also you could pickup a tank from a salvage yard  ( u pull it and the other ones)would probally have everything in it i would assume a lot cheaper then new the tank i seen on e bay was about 185 with nothing  but the tank but id be afraid to buy from there.. if the tank is not leaking since it is low you might just be able to seal it but it would have to be really cleaned up and free of any containment but could be dome depending on where and how bad the leak

On 10/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, 2late4u said:

wait and see what car max will do, you might be able to fix it with some after market sealer but dont know of one ,also you could pickup a tank from a salvage yard  ( u pull it and the other ones)would probally have everything in it i would assume a lot cheaper then new the tank i seen on e bay was about 185 with nothing  but the tank but id be afraid to buy from there.. if the tank is not leaking since it is low you might just be able to seal it but it would have to be really cleaned up and free of any containment but could be dome depending on where and how bad the leak

I came into carmaxx they are saying the issue may be under warranty I call dodge and absolutely not. I let them look at it the leak is coming from the tank where the seal is ( seal is not replaceable) would have to change the tank itself. Carmaxx maxcare is denying the repair, funny thing is I called them earlier ( the carmax max care phone number) and was told yes they would repair it as long as it was not due to collision. Here at carmaxx I'm getti g a different story, now I'm sitting g waiting for them to resubmit the claim. Dodge wont cover it and carmaxx looks like they want to push it off on me. Bad look for both companies smh my second journey with some issues that develop after warranty expires. 

so you buy a used journey at car max and buy their warranty and then blame dodge for not wanting to fix it? something is not right here sounds like your beef is with car max not dodge...raise some hell at car max,but unless it has less than 3 yr/36 k on dodge has no skin in the game...good luck might want to try some junk yards for a used tank

I dont expect dodge to cover it at all as no car company would unless it's a recall or they are doing it out of good faith but I love my dodge and dodge cars overall just wish their warranty was linger to no deal with outsiders crap. Yes I do have paperwork on what's covered, it's a long list of what they wont cover if...etc etc. Carmax wants me to pay for the cleaning of the gas tank because that is not covered. Which I think is stupid at first they say its 100 something but we can discount it down to 35, I'm just like really. At  first carmax didnt want to deal with it they seemed nicely pushy to say dodge might cover this, no they wont, the service advisors here are just really overpaid middle man. In total so far 11/2/19 car is still in shop because they couldnt finish the job on friday 11/1/19 because carmax is closed weekends.

guess thats how they make their $$, most dealerships repair shops are closed on sat and Sunday my dealership  is open till 12 noon on sat.hope they get you going soon just an other reason i dont buy used yes you might save some $$ but used things are usually trouble

I mean come on let's be realistic if you are in a trade you usually have to clean where you are going to work. Gasoline basically cleans itself what are you cleaning, are shops going to start charging for mechanics washing their hands its ridiculous. 20191102_235110.thumb.jpg.8a65bde7e4e73b767664b3f90ebae972.jpg

well i dont see no hazardous rags or clean up charges on there, as most shops charge for such things, and no gas doesn't necessarily clean everything clean it leaves a residue on parts.maybe they had to clean out the gas tank. did they charge you anything under the warranty? dont see where you owed anything so whats your problem.. good luck i think you will need it...

The 108 charge is going to be discounted on the labor. Everything is covered under warranty except that clean combination. I'm just keeping any paper they give me just incase. Also keeping this thread as updated with as much information as possible in case someone else on here has this failure happen.

Well update now. Carmaxx calls me and says they need to order a tank now, which is what I said I would need to begin with I was correct. It took 2 whole work days for them to try and replace the o ring that mopar does not sell, and I'm willing to bet that dodge would not have tried that but they are not dodge so theres that. However I showed them the part list they still tried to do it but now they have to replace the tank which will take 6 days to arrive. Service advisors are just really over paid middle men. The tech and I would have had a clear understanding but I guess this is there way of doing things which is costing them more money so. $0 out of pocket the tank parts are not interchangeable hopefully this thread helps someone out hopefully this isn't someone else's experience 

• 2 weeks later...

Do the tank was replaced in a day as I expected it would take but at the end the service advisors were attempting to charge me for the cleaning of the tank lol. I was about to go off because the guy tries to tell me yeah you had a gas leak and we have to do a generic cleaning (whatever the heck that means) I looked at him like dude it's a new tank I am not paying for no cleaning of anything the leak was at the bottom of the tank. There isnt anything to clean at all not to mention the manager called me before ordering a tank and told me I would not pay anything because they are covering the tank. I just think the advisors was trying to make some money commission or something I dont know. So if your tank needs to be replaced and you have max care from carmax they should cover it. I payed 0 dollars. New tank