radiator cap hose

707dumb

well just run by your local dealership they can show you where it goes ,the name of it and even price one at the parts window or just look at one on the dealers lot and see for yourself , i have a bad knee so kind of hard for me to go look at mine in the garage for you  as well looks like you have a very dirty or leak as well from your picture

Edited by 2late4u

i just hobbled out to my journey and actually there is no hose that connects to that ,it must just be a vent as on my 2014 3.6 the same thing just the  the plastic elbow that you have pictured. the return hose must be under the bottle or is the same hose for the overflow.

Edited by 2late4u

6 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

i just hobbled out to my journey and actually there is no hose that connects to that ,it must just be a vent as on my 2014 3.6 the same thing just the  the plastic elbow that you have pictured. the return hose must be under the bottle or is the same hose for the overflow.

So no fluid is spewing from that opening?

Wowza. Then I have a leak somewhere else......

19 minutes ago, 707dumb said:

It sounded like it was coming from the cap, honestly. After I drove it for a while and the engine temp went up to 3/4 the way to H.

I was like OMG. When I came back home I saw the evidence of a leak.

no it could let coolant come out that outlet if the bottle is overfilling,YES you have a problem better find it before you ruin your engine i would change out your thermostat

first off

Ok so if fluid is coming out of a vent hose, how much fluid is acceptable? Certainty not what I saw. It dripped a bit on the ground when I parked. Knew something wasn't right. Looked under the hood and saw evidence of antifreeze splashed a bit around the cowl near the reservoir and liquiid on the reservoir itself. And I heard a hissing sound when the engine was hot. It sounded like it was coming from the rerevoir cap.

you should never lose fluid out of your cooling system if you have that then you have a overheating problem, might be the cap itself, thermostat,cooling fans not kicking on. i am not a mech BUT you need to get it checked out before you do damage to your engine. make sure in the am the bottle has plenty of fluid before you rive it and get it checked right away...good luck

Here is the general answer to you overflow from the reserve tank - an answer I wish I would of listened to on one of my last cars...

The coolant in the engine has the job of removing heat from the engine and releasing the heat by way of the radiator. The coolant is circulated by the coolant pump. If there is a pressure created internally other than the coolant system creates, it can prevent this flow. If coolant is coming out of the overflow it is overheating. Coolant system failure can be a slow process until the signs are hard to ignore. Running the coolant fans are just masking the problem.

Antifreeze has a time limit before it needs replacing, five years is the maximum time allow. If the vehicle has been overheated to a damaging point it can crack the engine’s cylinder heads causing a pressure to enter the coolant system. This will stop or slow the flow rate of the coolant pump which will cause a overheating condition. There are tests that can be preformed to confirm this.

This is one of your first signs that something is wrong...or you just way over-filled your radiator. If you drive it and the temp goes to over half (definitely 3/4), turn your heater on to high as a simple test.

22 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

i have a 2014 94 k on it i just had the plugs and coolant service done at the dealership as stated above most things do have a shelf life,i had already had the transmission serviced at 70 K as well

I'm at 63K and am having such a hard time not going in for a full tune up, or a brake change. Considering my last car was a '98 that required a yearly tune up and brakes (felt like it was yearly), I'm not used to letting certain things go to such a high mileage myself. But I do, do all of the regular maintenance stuff...and it runs great (2015 sxt btw).

i bought all the pads for mine all 4 corners and thought well ill do them at around 70 k after getting everything ready i jacked it up and started and the front pads were probally only 1/2 used up maybe bit more, the rears were wore a bit more i bet i could have got at least 100-120 if i had wanted to run them down but went ahead and done them since i had them and ready to go

Well I ordered an exhaust gas test kit for the cooling system. Saw it in use here:

So I am suspecting not a bad gasket but more like a "cracked cylinder head" I say this only bc there is no milky oil on the dip stick nor under the filler cap. And from my past experiences, that's the sign of a head gasket failure. Hey 200,000 miles, I expected something bad but not this bad lol

I am also seeing gold/bronze particles in the reservoir. They are wherever the antifreeze got onto in the engine compartment; mainly just undneath the rerevoir. This is a shot of the bottom of the resrevoir cap with the tiny particles clearly shown. Any ideas why?

IMG_20190910_150402109.jpg

Did you use an additive at some point? Like a stop leak fluid? Those usually have a metal look to them and it gets everywhere (I used it before). Otherwise you could have a broken part that is going through the cooling system. First suspect would be the thermostat. I would start with a full flush and take a look at the thermostat... and probably replace. Then get it up to normal temp, turn the car off and try to listen for a hiss. If it still overheats, run your other tests or get it tested before (hopefully) the engine has major problems. When this happened to my beamer, it was a warped head... when it happened to my Ford, it was a metal T connector that was literally falling apart. One was an $11 fix, the other an $1100 fix. 

3 hours ago, 707dumb said:

Well I ordered an exhaust gas test kit for the cooling system. Saw it in use here:

So I am suspecting not a bad gasket but more like a "cracked cylinder head" I say this only bc there is no milky oil on the dip stick nor under the filler cap. And from my past experiences, that's the sign of a head gasket failure. Hey 200,000 miles, I expected something bad but not this bad lol

i wonder if this will work on a journey as your cap is on the coolant bottle not on top of the rad like shown in the video?????

On 9/9/2019 at 7:34 PM, 2late4u said:

A vent on a coolant resrevoir? I never knew they existed. Do all Chryslers vent the cooling system?

41 minutes ago, 707dumb said:

A vent on a coolant resrevoir? I never knew they existed. Do all Chryslers vent the cooling system?

It needs to vent somewhere when a over pressure condition exists. If yours is blowing coolant out of that hose, there is something else going on to cause that condition. If the thermostat is good, the water pump is good, the cooling fan is working, it’s time to check the head gaskets as mentioned. 

7 hours ago, 2late4u said:

think all he wants to do is ask  questions, start with the simple things or just put in to a garage and let them check it out.

Isn't this what forums are for? To help each other out, answer/ask questions, discuss and debate things?

2 hours ago, 707dumb said:

Isn't this what forums are for? To help each other out, answer/ask questions, discuss and debate things?

We are answering your questions. At some point, the responsibility lies with you, the vehicle owner. We can offer suggestions, things to check, etc. But in the end, you have to decide how best to address your issue. We can't fix it for you.