Which refrigerant?

CameraGuy

Hey guys, 

I need to recharge my ac, and just want to verify what refrigerant to use for my 2016 DJ. Is it r134a or this 1234yf stuff that appears to be in every other dodge vehicle now? Couldn’t find anything definitive googling.

thanks,

cg

if your low then you probally have a leak, and also air inside the lines as well, you might want to have it checked out and fixed by your local garage,that said there should be some stickers somewhere near the compressor saying which to use or call your local dealer...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I didn’t see any stickers, but everything I’ve found online and in the manual point to the 1234 coolant. I haven’t done anything with that yet, however today I realized my ac compressor clutch is always engaged unless climate and vent are off. I’m fairly certain that started today on my drive home.

Any thoughts on what to check first? Fuse, relay, switch, humidity sensor or other?

Ok so some weirdness just happened. I noticed that my engine coolant (aka antifreeze) was low so I went to the store and picked some up. When I filled it to where it should be and started the engine, the ac compressor clutch was working as it should. I kinda feel like I’m going insane, but would engine coolant level have anything to do with that? I doubt circulating refrigerant would take much, if any, heat away from the engine.

1 minute ago, larryl said:

What does coolant have to do with refrigerant?

They are two separate fluids?

That is my thought as well, but if you read what I wrote, the ac compressor clutch started functioning as it should when I topped off my engine coolant. I’m just sharing what happened and wondering if anyone has some insight into this. It may just be a weird coincidence, but who knows with the computers running everything in our vehicles now.

2 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

just a simple  Coincidence that your compressor started working again,the two have no connection together by just being low of coolant, more likely a wire shorting out in the wire loom

Well that’s gonna be fun hunting that down this summer...