Any ideas... thermostat leak...

nino

Hello all,

so so I recently changed out my water pump and everything looks good with the job, after a couple days I noticed a small drop/leak coming from the upper radiator hose. The leak seems to be coming from where the upper radiator hose connects to the thermostat, there’s a “stop” plastic piece where the hose sits on the thermostat housing and even after tightening the clamp a small drip keeps coming out. 

Any ideas? Or am I stuck with changing out either the hose or the thermostat? Dont think they were damaged when I removed them for the water pump job. 

If your hose is the original, and from 2011, it may be time to change it. Pull the hose from the thermostat, inspect the hose for a small perforation from the clamp. Use a flashlight, and a magnifying tool if you have one, and inspect the thermostat housing for a small hairline crack. It may have been over tightened. Once done, reinstall the hose and put on a new, quality clamp. Make sure to everything is seated correctly. If the leak persists, then you can contemplate a new hose and/or housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just a quick little update... Ended up changing out the hose, upon inspection found that there was a small tear from where the clamp held down the hose. I guess wear and tear over time. Bought a genuine hose from mopar and came with a new clamp. Process was pretty easy. No more leak. 

Thanks