Low Mileage 2009 DJ Transmission Fluid Change

bobman

Hi All,

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey with the 2.4L engine. It has about 70,000 miles on it. I have never changed the transmission fluid and the engine coolant is original coolant. The owners manual calls for changing it after 10 years or 120k miles I think. I checked both the tranny fluid Color and coolant Color. They were both in very good condition tranny being almost clear red like new ATF+4 with no burn smell and the coolant is slightly discoloured orange but still pretty orange not looking dark or anything. Should I change these fluids at this point or should I just wait till I reach the mileage?

I’m mostly talking about tranny fluid service. I have actually purchased the Hastings transmission filter but have not pulled the trigger on changing the ATF+4 fluid.

It never hurts to do preventive maintenance.  It is cheaper to change the transmission fluid than to change the transmission.  Go ahead and do it.

The coolant is extremely poisonous to animals.  Make sure that you do not have any of it on the driveway or garage floor.  Your pets love the taste of it.  Only problem is that it kills them.  It is also bad for children.  Be careful.  It is recyclable.  Just needs to be cleaned.  Any radiator repair shop will probably accept it.  If it was my vehicle, I would take it to a shop and have it flushed.  That way it cleans all the sludge out of the system.  Might as well get it done right and not have to worry about disposing of the material.

Good luck.

mechanical-idiot

Edited by mechanical-idiot

i have a 2014 crossroad and manual says transmission service at 100 k, not me, i had mine serviced at about 65 k it JUST makes since to change it out as the heat and contamination from the sealed case could cause fluid breakdown..but up to you, and as jkeaton said i would ONLY use the mopar filter.....so why do you NOT want to replace the trans fluid?

Edited by 2late4u