Roof Top Rack-not factory

Brucifer

I want to install an aftermarket roof top rack. There is no rack on my 2014 Journey. Requires I drill through the roof which is not a problem but the interior roof liner perplexes me. Due to the side curtain airbags I am leery of taking the liner down to attached lock nuts such as you would find on OEM racks. Am I wishful thinking about doing something that is going to blast an air bag in my face? Would it be easier to sand few spots on top, spot weld then repaint the weld spots where I welded the rack on???  This rack is pretty much imperative or trade and I am unwilling to do that at this stage of retirement.   Thanks for any advice.Bruce

you are attempting something obviously  you are not able of doing yourself i would advise you to take it to a customizing place and let them do it. the racks have to be attached to the roof cross braces not just the roof metal skin. i am NOT being smug but to get it done right and not cause any damage or physical injure...good luck 

not sure why you want the roof racks, but i installed a curt hitch about(130) and then bought a carrier about( 200 from discount ramp) that folds up behind the hatch door when not in use to carry my wife's 3 wheel scooter, works great for bulky items and hard to carry items, might want to check something like that

Ok.  Roof racks are good.  Hitch racks are good too.  If you want a roof rack, you should have one.  I have roof racks on my R/T.  It didn't come with roof rails from the factory.   I had a local accessory shop install roof rails to which I attached yakima towers and crossbars.   They are great.   I can't carry my surfboard on a hitch rack, so my roof setup is great.  My advice is to not attempt any roof rack without roof rails.  

Peace.