Cold Heat

Doozer12

Hi

my wife has a 2010 dodge journey with cold heat thru all the vents,

the dealership wants to replace the heating core , we have tested the actuator doors and they seemed to work properly and  I have flushed the heating core.  I did  notice the inlet hose to heating core is hot but the return hose is cold, I  had good flow thru the heating core when I flushed it with not blockage or dirt.

I also notice that the top radiator hose never gets hot( temperature does not ever run hot or car overheat)

maybe a weak water pump ? anyone ever have anything similar ?

thanks

It could be the water pump but that would not be my first thought.

You don't say what the dealer did to diagnose the problem and rule out other possibilities.

Does the vehicle maintain engine temperature? Does the temperature run hot, cold, or fluctuate? Has the system been pressure tested to rule out any leaks with the water pump, the radiator cap, or even a head gasket issue? The pump may have a leak or the cap may not be holding pressure. You could have a slipping belt. The head gasket is unlikely by what you describe but can not be ruled out at this stage. You need to rule out the other possibilities first.

My first thought is that you have an air bubble in the heater core from flushing it out the first time.  Been there, done that. It's not uncommon. Let us know what has been checked already as this may have already been considered.

The thermostat works . After some more diagnosis the top rad hose does get hot and pressurized. 

The dealership tested the actuator doors and said everything is in working order. 

The heater core exchange was just their next suggestion but they couldn't say for sure that would solve the problem . And it's a 7-8 hour job taking the dash apart . 

The heater core has always had a cooler outlet hose than the inlet not just since the flush 

Sounds like it's a common problem on a few years of these cars 

1 hour ago, Doozer12 said:

The thermostat works . After some more diagnosis the top rad hose does get hot and pressurized. 

The dealership tested the actuator doors and said everything is in working order. 

The heater core exchange was just their next suggestion but they couldn't say for sure that would solve the problem . And it's a 7-8 hour job taking the dash apart . 

The heater core has always had a cooler outlet hose than the inlet not just since the flush 

Sounds like it's a common problem on a few years of these cars 

look on you tube for journey heater core replacement easy fix from the drivers side,do it yourself or have the local garage do it a lot cheaper than the dealership...