Transmission being replaced

redtomatoman

So I traveled to California last Saturday.  Loaded my mountain bike and surfboard on the roof in New Mexico.  Drove across the Arizona and the Mojave at 112 F.  I did check my fluid temps on the EVIC and none of the temp ranges were red.  I think most were in the 220-230 range.  Turned left at Barstow and headed up to Big Bear.  No problems.  Even averaged 23 mpg with cargo on the roof.  Car sat for one day while mountain biking.  Drove down the mountain.  Used the manual shifter to control my downhill speed on my way to the coast.  I think I was between 3-4-5 on the shifter to properly control my speed down the hill.  No problems.  Traveled the freeways to the coast.  No problems.  That was Sunday.  Tuesday evening got a check engine light.  No symptoms whatsoever.  Drove back to my motel and parked.  Took it to local dealer on Wednesday morning.  Friday they informed me that my transmission had metal shavings in it and was being replaced with a factory rebuilt unit and would be ready sometime next week .  I cant remember the code they found.  The dealership provided a RAM truck for my use while in the shop.  They wouldn't let me take it over a state line back to NM.

Transmission, just bad luck?   That's still ongoing.  I had replaced the fluid at my local dealer per the manual recommendations.  Dunno.  The tranny is being replaced by my lifetime warranty.  I am disappointed at the FCA warranty clause for trip interruption.  I am 3 months outside the trip interruption time limit of 7 years.  So they just told me to have a nice day.  I had to eat a train ticket back to NM for work this week.  I will have to eat another train ticket to pick up my DJ.  Thank goodness the dealer provided the loaner.  Also, it was good luck that it was a RAM so I was able to load my mtb and board in the back and take them to a friend's house.  There was no way I could get those items into a charger, for instance, or back on the train.   

Not sure if my roof cargo is the culprit here.  I almost always have roof cargo. 

Just thought I'd share the situation and get any comments that may be helpful to me when I return to pick up my DJ.  I will still have a hot trip across the Mojave with roof cargo after pickup.  

Peace.

great you have the max warranty guess you are free rolling on it now,how many miles are on your journey, I had my trans service done at about 70 k even tho i have the max warranty also just thought id do it. just turned 80 k on mine.take care.

8 hours ago, Armando G said:

So in the big picture of things, this was a good ending type of situation minus the bus fare. I would guess the roof cargo had nothing to do with it, just something that needed to be done for the transmission

Yes.  Its good that I purchased the max care lifetime warranty.  If I hadn't, it would be a huge bill and the train ticket would be adding insult to injury.  I'm happy with the warranty covering the repair.  The other thing that I found interesting in my case, was the complete lack of any symptoms.  The transmission shifted perfectly up until and even after the check engine light appeared.  No shudders, no loss of engine power to the wheels, nothing that I could detect.  I'm hoping that this is a case of some sensor doing its job, and I get a good ending.  This is not done yet.  The dealership in CA still has my DJ.  I've had no followup from them.  For anyone who has had a big repair at a dealership, you know that snags can occur.  This isn't over for me yet.  There's also the question of how it runs after the initial install and testing.  I'm hoping this new transmission runs for a good long time and does not give me problems in 6 months or something.  Anyway, it will be what it will be. . .   

I will keep the forum updated on how this goes.  I'm hoping for long term success.  

Peace. 

Dunno.  I'm just over 7 years.  Since I purchased the lifetime max warranty,  I never paid attention.   I really like my DJ.  I hope this transmission is reliable.   I hope to keep it for a long while. 

Peace. 

On 8/21/2018 at 9:28 AM, vozaday said:

I managed to get all mine replaced under warranty, they started groaning again.  Guess its just something common for these vehicles.  Their first attempted fix was lubricant and it worked for a couple weeks.

well the good thing about your warranty the trans they just put in is also covered for as long as you own it, please find out what it would have cost you for not the warranty. also it should be covered for a period after you get it back if any problems with it without a ded. that is what they told me when i had to use mine for the oil pressure sender switch that went bad i think t was 2 yrs.

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

So long story short, I got my DJ back.  I can't really get out and test it for a few weeks because I fractured my right tibia in a mountain bike crash.  6 weeks nonweightbearing.   Full extension brace prohibits driving.   I did manage to pull it into the garage and it seemed to shift smoothly.   More on that when I can really test things.   

Estimates from service writer

Transmission  $3900

Labor  $1100

Misc  $200-300

Total   $5000+ usd

My warranty has certainly paid for itself.   I hope this transmission is reliable. 

Peace.

glad to hear about the journey and sad to hear about the bike accident. take care and get well the bad thing is when you get older like me things that happened to you when you were younger ,comes back to haunt you. arthritis and aches and pains so take it easy on your body...... 

• 2 weeks later...

*Update*

So my knee is still healing, I hope.   Still may need surgery.   We'll see.   I did have an opportunity to take the DJ for a 300 mile drive after the tranny replacement.   I was not able to drive, I was the passenger.  Mostly freeway at 75 to 80 mph.  Seemed to shift fine, both on freeway and in the city.   I am hopeful that this transmission will be reliable.   It is a remanufactured unit.  Not sure where the remanufacturing work is completed though.  Out...

Peace.