Groaning door hinges

bramfrank

All 4 of the doors on my '14 Crossroad with about 60K kilometres on it groan on opening or closing.  I have tried lubricating with various products with no success - not certain just which of the parts makes the noise - the roller?  The Spring?  The bushing surfaces?  it isn't as if they could possibly be somehow worn out, especially the rear ones.

It isn't as if the doors are going to fall off, and it isn't as if the vehicle is noisy when driving, but if I was planning to sneak in at night I'd need to climb out the window or somehow pop the rear hatch and get out that way.

It is an annoyance, and considering that my dealer likes to charge for diagnostics and whatever else he thinks he can get away with, even under my factory extended warranty (which has had me contact customer service which directs him to reverse the invoices, and that, in turn affects the way they respond to me) I was wondering what the cognoscente among us has to say about this annoyance. 

10 hours ago, bramfrank said:

It is an annoyance, and considering that my dealer likes to charge for diagnostics and whatever else he thinks he can get away with, even under my factory extended warranty (which has had me contact customer service which directs him to reverse the invoices, and that, in turn affects the way they respond to me

What kind of dealers do you have up there?!!??!! 

Why would you pay for a repair under warranty? Do they hold the car hostage?

3 hours ago, OhareFred said:

What kind of dealers do you have up there?!!??!! 

Why would you pay for a repair under warranty? Do they hold the car hostage?

most extended warranties have a deductible . even if its a covered problem, i went with a $100 ded. on my max warranty that i bought.

My 7/115 (and very expensive up here in Kanukistan) OEM extended warranty has no deductible.

The last time I went in for a service engine soon light which I know is related to an intermittent oil pressure sender.  They ostensibly did a firmware update to fix the problem (which I would wager did nothing at all except reset my oil usage monitor (which they didn't tell me about either), which went way too long so I got the oil changed yesterday even though the car hadn't asked for it) and handed me a bill for $129 plus tax - I told them to f*ck off and credit it - they claimed that updates aren't covered after 36 months;  I called FCA customer support on my cell, made my complaint and they called the dealer to set him straight.

I don't put up with that bullsh*t, but you have to wonder how many people actually pay those garbage charges

• 4 years later...

My best guess is that the door hinge plate moves slightly and rubs the body when the door is swung and that slight rub causes the groan noise, in my case more of a pop and groan, between the two surfaces. On my 2015, it's mostly when closing the door. I've lubed everything with some success. I used to think it was the hinge detent  moving on the pivot point that needed lube. I used lithium grease and that helped sometimes to eliminate the noise. Sometimes, I only lube the body to hinge plate contact with penetrating oil and the noise also goes away, sometimes, it's a combo of both that works. The noise only happens on my car during colder seasons.