Gutting catalytic converter

Today's cat's are high flow enough not to restrict exhaust flow. Back in the early days of catalytic converters, yes it could free up the exhaust by doing that. Not beneficial on todays cars, plus you will throw a check engine light for cat efficiency. There are better ways to get the tone you want. 

Down here it is a federal offense to alter factory installed emissions equipment and you will fail inspections. Maybe different in Canada. 

Edited by jkeaton

7 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Today's cat's are high flow enough not to restrict exhaust flow. Back in the early days of catalytic converters, yes it could free up the exhaust by doing that. Not beneficial on todays cars, plus you will throw a check engine light for cat efficiency. There are better ways to get the tone you want. 

Down here it is a federal offense to alter factory installed emissions equipment and you will fail inspections. Maybe different in Canada. 

It is 100% different in Canada, still a popular modification on today’s cars.  Just wondering if anyone has done it on a journey so it won’t through a code 

8 hours ago, blissman20 said:

It is 100% different in Canada, still a popular modification on today’s cars.  Just wondering if anyone has done it on a journey so it won’t through a code 

You will need an adapter to get the sensor out of the exhaust stream to avoid a CEL. Good luck!

Well I’ve been doing lots of reading and think I found it lol, spark plug non-foulers... apparently you drill one out with 1/2 bit, screw your  sensor into it, then screw that one into a non modified one, then into the gutted cat, it restricts exhaust flow into the  sensor and makes it think the cat is still there working... or at least it works on Rams, chargers and challengers... so I guess I’m going shopping next time I’m in the big city 

Just remember that you won't see any significant performance increase from doing this and what you are actual creating is another resonator by "gutting" the cat. You may hear some sound improvement, but the majority of sound dampening in the exhaust is from the muffler and existing resonators. Plus your vehicle will stink bad, real bad.  Good luck and post your results after you finish. 

• 2 years later...

I did but I bought new cats first and gutted them got the spark plug non foulers. No codes and it doesn’t smell all that bad car sounds better. It’s a 2009 journey R/T. I don’t regret doing it I burn less gas and it has added a bit more horse specially top end. And so you know my model journey and the original cats were almost square. And they have 2 sections of filter in the original cats they are extremely restrictive 

0150B711-8D86-4C12-B1AA-1BE8890968FD.jpeg

94366862-5E76-46D8-9EC6-EFFBA53F983C.jpeg

3 hours ago, JeremyJ said:

I think some of your gain is just from the improved runner design. They look like mini headers. I do believe even modern cats do clog up the flow a little. Not as much as they used to, but better flow will be had without them. 

3 hours ago, JeremyJ said:

I think some of your gain is just from the improved runner design. They look like mini headers. I do believe even modern cats do clog up the flow a little. Not as much as they used to, but better flow will be had without them. 

IMG_2497.mov

• 3 years later...