2014-2018 cruise control recall

Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8 million vehicles, shares fall

• Fiat Chrysler is warning the owners of about 4.8 million vehicles to stop using the cruise control immediately.
  • A potential defect could leave the driver unable to cancel cruise control during certain circumstances.
  • Drivers should not use cruise control until the vehicles have been inspected.
  • The recall is one of the largest ever issued in the U.S.
Published 24 Mins Ago  Updated 2 Mins AgoCNBC.com

2018 Jeep Wrangler
Source: Fiat Chrysler
2018 Jeep Wrangler

Fiat Chrysler is warning the owners of approximately 4.8 million vehicles to stop using the cruise control immediately due a potential defect that could leave the driver unable to cancel cruise control during certain circumstances.

The recall is one of the largest ever issued in the U.S.

It covers 14 Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge models built between 2014 and 2018.

The automaker says it knows of no accidents, injuries or fatalities caused by the defect.

In premarket trading Friday, Fiat Chrysler shares fell about 2.5 percent. 

The warning to stop using cruise control comes as more than 36 million people get ready to hit the road for the long holiday weekend. Many are likely to be in Fiat Chrysler models covered by the warning and recall.

Fiat Chrysler says if drivers are unable to cancel cruise control, they can eventually stop the vehicle by shifting it into neutral and braking. Once the vehicle has stopped, drivers must put it in park in order to cancel the cruise-control engagement.

The automaker is planning to fix the defect with a software update. FCA says it will soon start notifying owners when they should bring their vehicles into dealerships for the repair.

The following models are affected:

• 2015-17 Chrysler 200 sedan
  • 2014-18 Chrysler 300 sedan
  • 2017-18 Chrysler Pacifica minivan
  • 2015-18 Dodge Challenger coupe
  • 2014-18 Dodge Charger sedan
  • 2014-18 Dodge Journey CUV
  • 2014-18 Dodge Durango SUV
  • 2014-18 Jeep Cherokee SUV
  • 2014-18 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV
  • 2018 Jeep Wrangler
  • 2014-19 Ram 1500 pickup
  • 2014-18 Ram 2500 pickup
  • 2014-18 Ram 3500 pickup
  • 2014-18 Ram 3500 cab chassis

• 1 month later...

Received my letter within a couple of days seeing this on the news. My wife and I both have Journeys. Called my usual dealer to see if I needed to leave the vehicle or not and told the "Fix" is not set up yet to keep calling back. A couple of days later had regular oil change on the wife's Journey. Mentioned this again and told the "fix" is still not set up. When finished with my wife's vehicle the service guy told me to come back any time and they'd  take care of the recall for the cruise control. I guess the hour I was there it magically popped in to the service dept. Haha.

Makes you wonder sometimes if it's laziness on the part of the service department or laziness on part of  Dodge communicating with the dealers. 

Anyway both my vehicles have had the software update for this recall last week. Went through the express service.  Took about 30 mins. We'd had both our Journeys for over 12 months each and no problems. 

• 4 weeks later...

My dealer called me about 2 hours after the news popped up on the NHTSA web site. Said bring it down tomorrow and we'll update the software. Took it in, they had it maybe 10 minutes and were done. Didn't hardly have time to finish my cup of coffee! I was the first one they did. Was sort of shocked because I don't take vehicles in for anything other than recalls or warranty issues.