Custom exhaust question.

Okay so I have been slowly picking away at some mods for my Journey. These cross overs with the 3.6 pentastar are well powered but I'm am a HP junkie and love to try new things to get more. One thing that most people overlook is the power to weight ratio. There are so many things you can do to the Journey to shed some weight and get these vehicles moving faster. One thing I have been contemplating is the exhaust. I recently relocated the spare tire into the cargo space in the back an removed the tire winch and shield to shed a few pounds. One thing I discovered is the single to dual pipe is the T shape. A very inefficient design for exhaust flow. Here is my theory.  With the spare out of the way cut out the T and replace it with a single in dual out magnaflow muffler and custom bent tailpipes. This would flow much better and reduce the weight even more by eliminating those big ugly cans at the back and really clean up the appearance of the under body. Feel free to to criticize and give me your thoughts. 

I don't think the exhaust would make much of a power difference on the DJ. It might sound better but you won't notice much gain at all performance wise. As far as visual, I can't see much at all from behind, especially when I'm in another car. It's up to you whether you think it's worth it. If you are looking for more performance I think there are tons of other things you should be focusing on other than shedding maybe 10lbs from the exhaust

Edited by lmoore1436

44 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

I don't think the exhaust would make much of a power difference on the DJ. It might sound better but you won't notice much gain at all performance wise. As far as visual, I can't see much at all from behind, especially when I'm in another car. It's up to you whether you think it's worth it. If you are looking for more performance I think there are tons of other things you should be focusing on other than shedding maybe 10lbs from the exhaust

Agreed.

Dang, looks pretty ugly under there....If you are looking for weight reduction, instead of relocating the spare, ditch it and the 20 lb jack/tools that go along with it. Do a rear seat delete. Get some carbon fiber rotors, lighter wheels, delete the roof rack.....how much "faster" are you wanting to go anyway?

Edited by jkeaton

So basically you want to do a custom exhaust like this? I did this when I first got it. Sounds nice start up and take off. As far as actual hp gains I cannot confirm but the wife and I like it so that’s good enough for me. Mufflers 30 each and labor was $50 total custom cost $120. Good luck in what you are looking for I provide pics of my set up. 4 inch slant burnt tip mufflers don’t remember the brand sorry. 

EF666ABA-160D-4ABC-BD4E-95FB9CC9BBB7.jpeg

AC719A19-2E15-4114-BE84-E8888F418598.jpeg

0EFD7A46-3DE8-4A81-B8FD-247DBFE8D046.jpeg