Paint "Stage" Amount

09RT

I need to replace the fender on my Journey and the one I'm ordering says it comes primed. When I called a body shop to get an estimate, I was asked if it was a "three-stage" paint, but I wasn't 100% sure. The quote for materials / labor was almost $300 which sounded like a bit much to cover a single fender, in white, no less. Am I correct in thinking the "three stages" are primer, paint, and clear, or is it another process that may not apply to my R/T Journey and may have caused a higher than necessary quote?

• 1 year later...

@DeanC1985 - Good timing - I just started working on this again. I pulled the fender off last weekend and removing it is fairly easy. There are a few bolts on top, on the side and a couple underneath that are a bit tricky to get to if you want to use a socket. You may want to use a wrench so you don't have to remove the skirt that runs the length of the car. I still need to get the paint issue sorted, but the actual disassembly / assembly is very straight forward.

Like @NavalLacrosse suggested, check online and local yards for a color matched fender to save yourself money / time. I did this for some other parts that needed replaced and even though the parts were a model year apart, they were a perfect match color-wise - just a color-matched fender has been harder to find for my Journey.

Edited by 09RT

• 1 month later...

Brother just finished removing & painting a front lower end on a  car, repair included, base coat, metallic and then clear coat. He said his cost for materials was $200 so, that $300 was not that bad I guess ?  Finding another fender having close to the same paint fade  might be a little tricky ?

Edited by probak118
spelling