Roof cargo carrier

bfurth

Seeing as how my DJ (and my T&C) is full (4th kid is a month old now!), I need some options for additional cargo space for upcoming road trips.  My DJ has the side rails, but I haven't obtained cross bars for it yet.  Primarily, this solution will be used with my van, but I want the option of switching back and forth as needed.  I intend to purchase the factory cross bars for the DJ at some point.

What I don't want: soft carriers, or anything that installs directly on painted surfaces

Storage of the carrier is not a major concern - my basement is fairly open, and I'm pretty sure I could fit a cargo carrier into my attic (once I remove the now-disconnected AC system...)

What recommendations do any of you have for something that will fit the DJ (anything that fits this will fit the T&C)?  Budget is somewhere around $500, but can be flexible based on what's out there.

Alternatively, if I'm overthinking this, let me know.

I have not see a roof cargo carrier that does not sit directly on the roof surface without cross bars, so I can't recommend anything. I have both a hard case and a soft case. For the hard case, I installed rubber "feet" at the roof contact points to protect the paint. The soft one really needs nothing as it's, well, soft..lol.

IMHO, you are overthinking it.....;)

I have been eyeing this one on Amazon.

WINNINGO Cargo Bag, Waterproof Cargo Bag Easy to Install Soft Rooftop Luggage Carriers Works With or Without Roof Rack, Free Protective Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YV8ZV9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cjE4Ab8YQQYAC

It has a mat that comes with it for protection. I had planned on buying crossbars also. You might not need them with this though.

Cross bars  are a must, imo.  Get what you want, but the only thing I'll throw out there as a reminder is locks.  Think about the ability to lock your cargo for restaurants, hikes, motels, etc.  Yakima and Thule are great.  Probably compatible with factory cross bars.  Everything gets stolen nowadays. 

Peace. 

By the time I ever use this on the DJ, I will have obtained cross bars (most likely OEM).  The T&C had them when we bought it.

So, the only thing I got out of this was "make sure it locks" (seemed obvious to me at the beginning, and I wouldn't entertain purchasing one that doesn't, but ok).

Any recommendations on whether or not it's worth it to spring for the gas lifters?

Have you searched the forum, that's always a great place to start. In my experience, the carriers usually get trashed when you have kids and a bunch of stuff to put in there so a high priced one isn't always the ideal. As far as lifting the top, well you have to get up there to put stuff in either way, so the lifters are not a huge deal for me. In any case, here is a link from a simple search on a great site (talks about cross bars and carrier)...

Side note...there is a Jegs rooftop carrier that works great too.

Edited by Armando G

• 3 years later...
On 4/26/2018 at 10:58 AM, bfurth said:

By the time I ever use this on the DJ, I will have obtained cross bars (most likely OEM).  The T&C had them when we bought it.

So, the only thing I got out of this was "make sure it locks" (seemed obvious to me at the beginning, and I wouldn't entertain purchasing one that doesn't, but ok).

Any recommendations on whether or not it's worth it to spring for the gas lifters?

I know this is an old post, But anyways,

just so you know the Mopar DJ cross bars do not lock. so even if you have a locking cargo thing attached to the crossbars, it could still be removed by removing the cross bars.

Just giving you some info from someone that has OEM cross bars. Peace. :)

Edited by AOXOMOXOA