Hello from a Ford engineer!

IWorkAtFord

Hey guys, new to this place as of today.  Recently acquired a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT 3.5L FWD and i figured I would just dive on in to modifying it.  This is my first FCA product that I've owned and I'm hoping to be around here for a while!

Cheers!

4 hours ago, IWorkAtFord said:

Hey guys, new to this place as of today.  Recently acquired a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT 3.5L FWD and i figured I would just dive on in to modifying it.  This is my first FCA product that I've owned and I'm hoping to be around here for a while!

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your acquisition, for mods on the 2009 model the first thing I would do is look at putting some larger brakes on, that is one of the largest complaints made. 

3 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your acquisition, for mods on the 2009 model the first thing I would do is look at putting some larger brakes on, that is one of the largest complaints made. 

Yep, my front rotors are trashed already so I'm looking into getting some decent rotors for it. Any suggestions for carbon ceramics for this vehicle?

Stick with middle of the road rotors and pads from your local parts store. No need to go all exotic on a Journey...lol.

Our 09 went through 2 sets of factory rotors within the first 20,000 miles. I replaced them myself after the second set warped with some wagner rotors from Oreillys. Those were still good at 80,000 miles when we traded it in on our 2013 DJ.

Since your vehicle is almost 10 years old and is the 3.5L, I would be catching up on all the required maintenance before diving into modifications. 3.5L has a timing belt that requires replacement at defined intervals (100k IIRC). You don't mention mileage, so it would be best to check the maintenance schedule and if you don't know that something has been done per the schedule, do it. No sense spending all your money on modifications only to have the timing belt snap and ruin the engine. 

Timing belt, spark plugs, transmission fluid/filter, coolant, air filter, PCV valve, plus normal maintenance items like oil and filter change, etc. 

Edited by jkeaton

1 hour ago, jkeaton said:

Stick with middle of the road rotors and pads from your local parts store. No need to go all exotic on a Journey...lol.

Our 09 went through 2 sets of factory rotors within the first 20,000 miles. I replaced them myself after the second set warped with some wagner rotors from Oreillys. Those were still good at 80,000 miles when we traded it in on our 2013 DJ.

Since your vehicle is almost 10 years old and is the 3.5L, I would be catching up on all the required maintenance before diving into modifications. 3.5L has a timing belt that requires replacement at defined intervals (100k IIRC). You don't mention mileage, so it would be best to check the maintenance schedule and if you don't know that something has been done per the schedule, do it. No sense spending all your money on modifications only to have the timing belt snap and ruin the engine

Timing belt, spark plugs, transmission fluid/filter, coolant, air filter, PCV valve, plus normal maintenance items like oil and filter change, etc. 

Thanks for the info! And I can understand why something like carbon ceramics wouldn't be appropriate for a vehicle like this, however throwing ridiculous amounts of money at cars that don't deserve it is my specialty. As for preventative maintenance, it has had the timing belt replaced once at 100k miles and it is at 177,XXX miles now. This weekend I'll likely put a new timing belt on, gap the plugs, new rotors, etc.