2017 back up camera but no nav

11 hours ago, N87 said:

Dealer can activate it for $500. No hardware replacement needed. Takes 15 minutes. I have 2017 with 8.4 screen.

No, he can't.  That, of course assumes you have a Journey.  Journeys with the 8.4" screens come with the RE2 (no nav) or RB5 (with nav) TGM (radios) in North America - other versions of the same are provided in other regions because there is no Sirius/XM service beyond the NA borders).  The unit that supports 'activation' is the 8.4A, which supports 'apps'.  It doesn't work in the Journey

If you didn't have factory nav and now you do then your dealer changed the TGM, possibly having taken one from a scrapped vehicle he had access to because, simply put, the RE2 doesn't have GPS hardware on board.  Not the 2011 or the 2018 - and if you don't believe me you can check the uconnect web site:

http://www.driveuconnect.ca/support/identify-your-system/

Edited by bramfrank
to define that we are discussing vehicles with the 8.4" display.

On 2/11/2018 at 5:53 AM, bramfrank said:

Journeys with the 8.4" screens come with the RE2 (no nav) or RB5 (with nav) TGM (radios)...

I am second owner , maybe I do have RB5 (with Nav). The dealer offered to activate navigation at the same time as my backup camera installation. After they looked at the hardware. For $500.

29 minutes ago, N87 said:

I am second owner , maybe I do have RB5 (with Nav). The dealer offered to activate navigation at the same time as my backup camera installation. After they looked at the hardware. For $500.

If he charged you $500 to 'activate' it, you were ripped off.  If it wasn't working, you have a warranty. In other words, unless he actually swapped out the radio module to substitute the RB5 for the RE2 you have a serious claim against your dealer.

Unless he swapped out the hardware he owes you $500 (easy enough to tell if it came from the factory with the nav installed . . . . look up the build sheet for your vehicle - that doesn't mean that the previous owner DIDN'T swap out the TGM mind you).

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 6:42 PM, bramfrank said:

To add the factory nav you will have to change the radio module out.  Plug and play.  No codes.  Not on the Journey.

I have one for sale 3rd gen (traffic capable) . . . . $800

So you’re saying if I buy the RB5 module, I can plug it in and the dealer needs to do nothing? It will work?

Unless it is a first generation RB5 you will need an unlock code for the radio itself - nothing whatsoever to do with the nav.  Generating the code requires the serial number of your new radio and the IN of YOUR vehicle.

Dealers have been known on occasion to provide those for free - or you can always change the module, drive to the dealer and pretend the radio just stopped working and try claiming it under warranty.

There is a member here who has been known, on occasion to provide the code, though it isn't for me to offer his services; and there are sites on the web