13 journey overheating

Walters

Yesterday I was driving my car and it made a noise (warning noise) and I realized my car was overheating. Said I need coolant. I added coolant. Drove another 75 miles my temp reached 233. Pulled over and got some food. Let the car sit for an hour or more. Came back to check the coolant and it was all gone again. Added some more and came back to the house. Another 75 miles. They car stayed around 216. Got home and the coolant hadn’t leaked anymore. Checked it this morning and it still was in there. Today the highest is 210degrees. Any clue what’s going on? 

2 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

It may be a leak in a pressurized line... Since you say it was empty when driving, but didn't leak once you weren't. Could also be your thermometer, radiator, etc. How did you know it was overheating? Was it smoking, or did you just look at the temperature gauge?

When I stopped it started smoking. Then I cut the car off. Once I cut the car off and added some more coolant it didn’t smoke anymore. 

Let it heat up to normal temp and check/listen for any steam/smoke and narrow it down to that location (assuming it was smoking from the engine compartment, not the exhaust). My best guess is going to be a failing water pump just because you described an exact situation I went through. The water pump has the safety plug that starts failing intermittently and eventually all the way.

Hopefully it's just a hose that needs replacing. You also want to make sure the clamps on the house ends are nice and tight and have not cut into the hose causing a leak at high pressure.

FYI...if the smoking was from the exhaust, there is a much bigger issue going on.

3 hours ago, Armando G said:

Let it heat up to normal temp and check/listen for any steam/smoke and narrow it down to that location (assuming it was smoking from the engine compartment, not the exhaust). My best guess is going to be a failing water pump just because you described an exact situation I went through. The water pump has the safety plug that starts failing intermittently and eventually all the way.

Hopefully it's just a hose that needs replacing. You also want to make sure the clamps on the house ends are nice and tight and have not cut into the hose causing a leak at high pressure.

FYI...if the smoking was from the exhaust, there is a much bigger issue going on.

If it is the water pump you want to get it fixed as soon as possible. Overheating is dangerous because it could cause a crack in the engine, at that point you'll be shelling out thousands. Either way make sure you get a proper diagnosis, there's only so much that we can troubleshoot on the forums.

usually you will notice if its a water pump leaking as it will sling up on the firewall,  small leak from the freeze plugs,also could  be your rad cap ( my daughter had a new rad put in her van and was still losing fluid every so often i happened to have an extra cap so i switched it out and no more leaks)